Rear Shock Spring Pre-Load Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear Shock Spring Pre-Load Question

After almost 3 years, I finally have an opportunity to test ride a Versys this weekend with the hope of purchasing one (left-over ’09). I’ve done a lot of reading and one thing that really jumps out is an almost universal complaint about the seat slanting towards the gas tank. I had a Honda NT650GT that did the same thing and was cured w/ a Corbin Gunfighter saddle – made it much more enjoyable to ride. One thing I want to eliminate from the equation is a shock preload set too high. I had a BMW R100RS that I constantly slid forward on until I set the shocks down a notch.

I looked at a factory service manual and was surprised that for a 150# rider calls for a setting in the 5th of 7 positions or 3rd from the stiffest. I only weigh 140# and guessed I would want something much softer and less than the 4th or median. Have any of you who weigh at or less than 150# measured the rear sag and adjusted it to the proper amount and, if so, what position do you use? I'd like to adjust the spring before my test ride since it was probably be very short.

I run my W650 in the next to lightest position, ditto for my KLR650, both seem fine and I corner fairly hard with both.

JH in OH

“Spring Preload Adjustment •Using the hook wrench [A], turn the adjusting nut [B] to adjust the spring preload.
Owner’s Tool - Hook Wrench, R37.5: 92110-1144
○The standard adjuster setting for average-build rider of 68 kg (150 Ib) with no passenger and no accessories is 5th position.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 06:10 PM

Well, sounds like you did your homework and looks like you'll get a good deal IF you purchase. But the longer you hold off the longer you miss out.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM

I weight 198 and ran the stock shock at the lowest preload setting and it was still too stiff. Put an Elka on it and what a difference!!

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:41 PM

I'm 170 and run the lowest or softest preload setting on the shock.
Donn
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Last edited by bluesman77; 10-16-2010 at 08:04 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There's a simple mod to raise the seat's front mount... At 200 lbs, I'm at near maximum sag at preload #3 (10 clicks out rebound), which offers just enough support to prevent bottoming out in the rough stuff.

Were you at that Roger Waters concert?

Last edited by invader; 10-15-2010 at 11:20 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

As weird as it sounds, I have no idea how that got posted. I'm a big Doyle Bramhall II fan and was listening to it while writing a response to Bad-Tat regarding the Elka shock. Tried to preview what I had written, but it wouldn't load. So I backed up and thankfully what had been written was still there - so I hit "Submit Reply". But instead of my questions about the Elka - there was the YouTube video! I didn't even notice it was posted by me until after reading your post????? Thanks to you and everyone else who responded to my question. Hopefully, if the stock shock out of the crate is cranked up, I can get the dealer to soften it before my test ride.

Last edited by bluesman77; 10-15-2010 at 11:09 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

I thought that was a little weird, and quite random!! Hahaha! At least it's good music.........

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wow... You can delete that YouTube post if you like.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I thought that was a little weird, and quite random!! Hahaha! At least it's good music.........
I was thinking, "I like the new guy, he gives us a little musical break in the middle of a thread".
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I was thinking, "I like the new guy, he gives us a little musical break in the middle of a thread".

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman77 View Post
I looked at a factory service manual and was surprised that for a 150# rider calls for a setting in the 5th of 7 positions or 3rd from the stiffest. I only weigh 140# and guessed I would want something much softer and less than the 4th or median. Have any of you who weigh at or less than 150# measured the rear sag and adjusted it to the proper amount and, if so, what position do you use? I'd like to adjust the spring before my test ride since it was probably be very short.

i think the factory manual is off on this one.

i have mine set at the least preload with just a bit of rebound and its better than their suggested settings but the bottom line is its the wrong spring rate for a one up 150lb'er. i havent had the bike that long yet so im waiting to see if it will settle in a bit more but i think a dual rate set up or at least going down a few lbs from whatever stock is will make a huge differance.

fwiw, new springs are generally stiff and usually out of spec, they later ease into their specified range, aka "spring rate" then slowly decline from there. also, not all springs of a given lot are exactly the same. theres a bit of art in the process between the heat treating, base material, and forming that can lead to differing results.

best of luck on your ride
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:56 PM

I purchased "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" by Andrew Trevitt and found it to be an excellent reference for anyone who has questions about how to properly set up your bike. He has tons of experience setting up race bikes. Guaranteed to answer, in detail, any suspension question you might have.

Suspension setup, IMHO is the MOST misunderstood, MIS-advised topic on this and ALL motorcycle forums. No doubt there are a few who post up and DO know what's right and wrong, but how do you sort them out?? Karma, post count? feels good? To get it right, you need to understand the fundamental theories and get solid scientific answers in order to get your bike running right.

$15 give or take, on Amazon. Cheap at twice the price.

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
I purchased "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" by Andrew Trevitt and found it to be an excellent reference for anyone who has questions about how to properly set up your bike. He has tons of experience setting up race bikes. Guaranteed to answer, in detail, any suspension question you might have.

good point -

its not bike specific but i like "Chassis Engineering" by Adams too.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:39 PM

Lee Parks of Total Control fame has come out with a suspension tuning book as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode