Well crap, I've beat up on myself again! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well crap, I've beat up on myself again!

I've finally recouped from my broken elbow and ribs I had a while back and now I've broken my right thumb in two (2) places.

I was drilling through a 1/2" piece of steel with a 1/2" bit and a 3/4 horsepower drill when the bit got caught out of alignment. The drill whipped around and snapped my thumb like it was a walnut and all manner of delightful prose escaped my mouth. I had the piece on top of the table and to add insult to injury, the drill then smacked me in the jaw and almost knocked me down. Usually I use a drill press for this kind of thing but the steel piece was too large to fit so I decided I could freehand it. Right.

This happened 3 weeks ago and I just thought it gave me a bad sprang but after 3 weeks and not getting any better I finally had it xrayed and yep, it's broke. Not just once, but twice at different parts.

One of the breaks is at the first joint where it attaches to the hand and it actually broke off part of the bone so now they are talking surgery to repair it before they cast it. The other break was at the middle joint and a simple cast would have done that, but no, it's not that simple.

Anyway, it looks like I won't be riding for a couple of months and this is the best time of the year. At least I've got the center stand into production before this happened!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Geez Don, Sorry to hear about your Industrial Accident! I've been popped with a drill before, no fun!
I hope everything goes well with your procedure and that you're on the mend soon.
Rob
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM

sorry to hear about your mishap hope you don't have to have surgery for it to heal. those big drills have a lot of torque don't they.

Get well soon Don! Donn

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Sorry to hear about all your pain and get well soon. I know its not funny but thought of you doing a Tim the tool man more power in your workshop and having that o crap moment as we have all had close calls like that at times but you seem to be having a bad run.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Sorry to hear about all your pain and get well soon. I know its not funny but thought of you doing a Tim the tool man more power in your workshop and having that o crap moment as we have all had close calls like that at times but you seem to be having a bad run.
Yeah, my two sons used to compare me to the "tool man" quiet often. As a matter of fact, they still do. Not funny!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My wife says now to me "what have you done now Tim" and when my boys were young we used to sit around and watch it on TV grunting etc much to the disgust of my wife. Think it is a good thing to laugh about our mistakes even if it not funny at the time.

My wife brought a vainty unit for a old house of ours to put in the bathroom, the plumber at work lent me the hole saw bits and showed me what size to fit the taps but old Tim here thought that will not be big enough so you guessed it had to go back to the plumber and put extra big washers to hid the mistake and be ables to secure the taps.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM

I did the same thing once, but i wound up getting my ring finger caught up in the handle on the way around. Spiral fracture of the metacarpal. Heard it pop over the gennie right behind me. Worked the rest of the day, but went to the emer. room for a cast after work. What a dope I am...

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Get better Don!

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to snarky Send a message via MSN to snarky Send a message via Yahoo to snarky Send a message via Skype™ to snarky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I've finally recouped from my broken elbow and ribs I had a while back and now I've broken my right thumb in two (2) places.

I was drilling through a 1/2" piece of steel with a 1/2" bit and a 3/4 horsepower drill when the bit got caught out of alignment. The drill whipped around and snapped my thumb like it was a walnut and all manner of delightful prose escaped my mouth. I had the piece on top of the table and to add insult to injury, the drill then smacked me in the jaw and almost knocked me down. Usually I use a drill press for this kind of thing but the steel piece was too large to fit so I decided I could freehand it. Right.

This happened 3 weeks ago and I just thought it gave me a bad sprang but after 3 weeks and not getting any better I finally had it xrayed and yep, it's broke. Not just once, but twice at different parts.

One of the breaks is at the first joint where it attaches to the hand and it actually broke off part of the bone so now they are talking surgery to repair it before they cast it. The other break was at the middle joint and a simple cast would have done that, but no, it's not that simple.

Anyway, it looks like I won't be riding for a couple of months and this is the best time of the year. At least I've got the center stand into production before this happened!
Those $%##'n drills are mean sometimes. My wrist is permanently screwed up from the most evil drill ever conceived of.

It's a 3/4" inch chuck Skill drill, with some mean torque. It's favorite trick was locking up and snapping your wrist. After you let it go the trigger would lock on, and once you unplugged it, the gearing in it would still keep turning because of momentum. Their motto should have be unstoppable, it was an unstoppable drill in more ways than one.

Needless to say, that drill was thrown against the shop wall a number of times while colorful language was unleashed. The sad part is, despite the fact that it's an OSHA violation incarnate, it still gets getting used because it has so much power.

I refuse to use it anymore, the Oxy/Acet torch makes "cleaner holes, safer, fast" anyways. Pop a hole in, grind any slag off, good to go. No broken wrist. I put four holes into a 1/2" reinforcement plate for a half-ton crane on my deuce and a half in less than 10 minutes. Torch only costs about 100$ plus gas, a good investment on the thicker stuff.

Last edited by snarky; 10-15-2010 at 12:36 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 AM

my goodness Don. First your herniated disk. Now this. Geez man! be careful around tools. hope you get better real soon

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Get well soon. I tore all the ligaments on my right thumb and the recovery was hideous. I hope yours is smooth sailing! If no surgery, at least then can do a waterproof cast?

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Wink Don the tool man

Power Tools are strictly forbidden. Its time to dig out the old eggbeater

Isn't it amazing how the simple things in life become complicated when you have a broken thumb?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
Power Tools are strictly forbidden. Its time to dig out the old eggbeater

Isn't it amazing how the simple things in life become complicated when you have a broken thumb?
At this point, that thing even scares me.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:42 AM

rest easy and heal up quick
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Heal up fast and
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I had the piece on top of the table and to add insult to injury, the drill then smacked me in the jaw and almost knocked me down.
Sorry, but that's funny as hell! LOL I wish I could have seen that.

Hope you have a speedy recovery! Getting hurt sucks.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 PM

Take it easy old-timer, and heal well!

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM

Not fun brother Don...But the all time sickest drill ever, is my Milwaukee Right Angle Drill...Mine has demonstrated its incredible torque by lifting my 200lbs straight up off a ladder and then breaking my wrist at the top of its throw and the depositing my dumb ass at the bottom of the ladder it yanked me off of...AND I still use it
Heal up good...At our age good is better than fast

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Ouch! That hurts me!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 PM

Pics??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode