Resonable priced tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Reasonable priced tires

Reasonable priced tires
I know from my experience with other forums, That tire discussions just seem to go on and on and on. After buying my Versys and getting into tire size, I realized I'm going to be buying sport bike type tires and paying sport bike tire prices. On my dual sport bike I have come to love Shinko 705's and they are reasonably priced relatively. So after doing research for the Versys tire sizes I found these.
Shinko 009-Raven-front-or-rear-radial-tires

I like the pricing and wonder if anybody has used them. Not really interested in anecdotal comments or hearsay but first hand experience. Also input regarding other reasonable priced tires. For example I like under 100$ price point for a rear tire.

Last edited by cmoreride; 10-14-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 AM

This rider has one on the back of his bike and I thought it was a scorp trail. I asked about it but he didn't seem to know anything about it. Perhaps you could PM him and get some feedback.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...86&postcount=1

EDIT: BTW, you can find quite a few reports on advrider by searching in google with this syntax: site:advrider.com shinko raven

Here's one rider that really liked them on his bimmer: http://www.rvbprecision.com/motorcyc...sa-review.html
I also did not know that Shinko took up where Yokohama left off for motorcycle tires. Yokohama has always been a pretty good product. I thought Shinko was Korean. Maybe they sold the molds or rights to them? Time for more research.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 10-14-2010 at 12:52 AM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM

I use the Shinko 009, I'm on my 3rd rear tire averaging 10,000 miles per tire and 2nd front tire, the first one went 20,000 miles. They work great dry or wet but then I don't push too hard when it's wet. They are not a track tire, for the price you can't go wrong.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 PM

I have a pair on my vs. I have 4.5K miles on the rear and 3.5k miles on the front.

I have been VERY pleased with the dry handling (I haven't ridden in the rain). I live in an area with very curvy roads which allow me to occasionally touch down a footpeg (ex-AFM racer).

The Shinkos seem to be holding up better than my previous Bridgestone BT021s and are MUCH cheaper. They seem to be holding their handling precision later in their life than the Bridgestones. I would say the handling feel is similar between the 2 brands.

They are amazingly cheap! You can get a pair for about $150-155 including shipping.

I was planning to do a write-up about them when I've finished wearing them out.

HTH,

Michael
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys that's the kinda poop I wanted to hear.

Now if someone knows of a approximate 90%/10% street/dirt tire in a similar price range. That does not require using
a non stock tire size.

Does anybody know how to edit a thread title? I am embarrassed to have a misspelling in it.

Last edited by cmoreride; 10-14-2010 at 01:39 PM.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
Does anybody know how to edit a thread title? I am embarrassed to have a misspelling in it.
We all maik misteax frum tiem tieu tiem, doen lett it bodder u nun, mon
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
Edit thread title:
Go to your first post, click EDIT, then GO ADVANCED. You'll see you can edit the header/thread title there as well.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks big time!
And
Interesting progression of bikes you have owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Edit thread title:
Go to your first post, click EDIT, then GO ADVANCED. You'll see you can edit the header/thread title there as well.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Wouldnt put micky mouse tyres on my ride
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:22 PM

Another good review on shinko sport tires, and a followup from another rider that like the Ravens.

http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=106588

Apparently Shinko, a large Korean industrial manufacturer, bought the motorcycle tire division of Yokohama.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Wouldnt(sic) put micky(sic) mouse tyres on my ride
Yeah, who'd want to put Korean tires on a Japanese bike?

If they work, they last, and have gotten lots of positive reviews (and no negative that I've found), what's not to like? The price is just a bonus.

People used to be leery of those strange little motorcycles from Japan; those Kawayamazukis.

Maybe you should be on a proper British bike with Avons?

Michael
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 AM

Some of the Michelins are made in Thailand and they are good tires. With that being said I tried a Shinko once and didn't really care for it.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 06:19 AM

tyres are what your life depends on get the best for your driving conditions stinting costs lives
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to snarky Send a message via MSN to snarky Send a message via Yahoo to snarky Send a message via Skype™ to snarky
I would imagine that tires have to have a DOT stamp to be legal, and that to pass DOT standards it would have to pass certain requirements. I would figure that if a cheaper tire were dangerous, it would be recalled, like firestone and duncrap occasionally has to do. Generally I think the ones you have to worry about are the cheapos the manufacturer tries to push on you to save cost.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I installed a Shinko Advance 005 front when my OEM died at 11,000 miles. So far I've put 5,500 on it, it's hardly worn, and it works well with my RoadSmart rear, which I'll probably replace with another Shinko when it's time. I tried a set of Shinko 705 dual-sport tires on my KLR, but found that I was getting 'incipient' tread separations on 12 of 17 tread blocks on the rear one, plus I found that the rear 705 ran VERY hot, so I would recommend AGAINST them on the V. YRMV!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:18 PM

Have been looking for Shinkos in Canada, seems U.S. won't ship up here.
Other brands seem overpriced up here compared to the States...anyone know of a Shinko dealer in Can. that has reasonable prices.

90-110 dollars rear U.S. 169.00CAN(won't ship)
69-82 dollars front U.S. 130.00 front(won't ship)

I'd really like to try the Shinko Ravens or another that will get me outta the tire shop under 400 bucks or so, with some half decent quality. Something not too sticky that will last me 1-2 seasons 12-20,000 kilometers.

I may be asking for too much in Canada...I thought our dollar was about par with the greenback? Whats up with that? RIPOFF!?

ED; found petes-superbike.com in Montreal...checking prices out.ROADSMARTS 134.95 front,161.95 rear...plus 20 shipping and 15%tax...Conti Road attacks front 133.95, rear 156.95 + 20.00 to ship and 15%tax...NO SHINKOS I guess 350 -370.00 before install is about as good as it gets....Still looking!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 10-19-2010 at 02:59 PM.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

I have KLR also and love the 705's have not had any issues with them great on pavement, predictable on dirt. 705's are not produced in the Versys tire sizes so that's not an option anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I installed a Shinko Advance 005 front when my OEM died at 11,000 miles. So far I've put 5,500 on it, it's hardly worn, and it works well with my RoadSmart rear, which I'll probably replace with another Shinko when it's time. I tried a set of Shinko 705 dual-sport tires on my KLR, but found that I was getting 'incipient' tread separations on 12 of 17 tread blocks on the rear one, plus I found that the rear 705 ran VERY hot, so I would recommend AGAINST them on the V. YRMV!

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Maybe

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html gnarly parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
Have been looking for Shinkos in Canada, seems U.S. won't ship up here.
Other brands seem overpriced up here compared to the States...anyone know of a Shinko dealer in Can. that has reasonable prices.

90-110 dollars rear U.S. 169.00CAN(won't ship)
69-82 dollars front U.S. 130.00 front(won't ship)

I'd really like to try the Shinko Ravens or another that will get me outta the tire shop under 400 bucks or so, with some half decent quality. Something not too sticky that will last me 1-2 seasons 12-20,000 kilometers.

I may be asking for too much in Canada...I thought our dollar was about par with the greenback? Whats up with that? RIPOFF!?

ED; found petessuperbike in Montreal...checking prices out.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Thanks cmoreride...I'm looking...cheers!
ED...shinko, 005's front 119.95 rear 159.95 +tax free shipping= 322.00
Not bad...now I have some choices...okay then!

ED2...Got back from the dealer where I purchased the KLE 'bout 408.00 for the Roadsmarts
and 447.00 for the contis...thats with a 20% discount tax in...sheeesh!
Also received some tire advice...told to go oem level or better as it won't be as much fun otherwise...advice taken...think I'll be importing from Montreal to save 50-80 bucks depending on my choices. Need the front before I'll need the rear....blah, blah, blah...I'm done, Thanks cmoreride!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 10-19-2010 at 06:01 PM.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Gnarly won out on the price war...got some contis coming for under 3 bills...free shipping...I'm favoriting Gnarly, for sure!

Thanks cmoreride!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode