Trading the Versys for a FZ1 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trading the Versys for a FZ1

I really like my Versys

I am using it as a commuter bike, a lite touring bike and even a sportbike (in the curves anyways).

The bike is reliable, simple to maintain. It's very fuel efficient, very light and had a great suspension. The stiff upside-down forks are great in curves.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2nd generation Yamaha FZ1 with full fairing and sidecases and at a good price.

The FZ1 is almost as light as the Versys and I think the handling should be at least as good and the braking should be better. The power will be better but the fuel economy can't be near as good. I am hopeful that the fairing of the FZ1 will provide better protection than the half-fairing of the Versys even if a little wind is good in the summer. It's one of the rare bikes that I consider as an upgrade for the Versys

My only experience so far with a powerful bike was a 165hp GSXR 1000, rode it one full afternoon in the twisties in Tennessee, very powerfull but by the end of the day I was comfortable... at least with the power because the driving position was torture

I can't afford to keep both bikes so if I get the FZ1 I will sell the Versys.

If I purchase the FZ1 I will miss this forum

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:44 PM

I own three bikes. Riding a 1000cc sport bike on a 100 degree day during commute hour in stop and go traffic is not fun for me. On those days I ride my KLR and now will ride the Versys. Bikes might be a little like footwear. You got your hiking boots, your running shoes, and tennis shoes. etc etc etc.
Enjoy your new chapter of your riding career!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

We're gonna miss you! But sounds like you have a callin'...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 AM

You might wanna hold on to your versys until your evaluation of the two is made.Two different worlds these two bikes.Unless you are eager for more power I believe you will lose more than you gain.They are closer to 100 lbs difference.The flickability and agility of the Versys you will be missing.Mind you the Fz1 is a very nice bike,I just think the Versys is exceptional.Besides missing this forum I think you'll be missing the V.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:14 AM

Get a Z1000SX(Ninja 1000)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 AM

My riding buddy has a FZ1.. we just did a 110 mile nonstop freeway ride...he was suffering by the end of it due to the ride position. you may want to hold on to yours till yor sure
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 AM

I've had 2 Gen1 FZ1's....prior to buying the Versys, they were my favorite bike ever.......That being said, now the Versys is my favorite. You can't use the horsepower difference, and the hp is the only advantage.

Your talking about a gen2 FZ1, much worse ergo's than a gen1, or a Versys....The gen2's are much too "sportbikey" ergo's for me.

'15 DL1000
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM

Never sell a bike! Be a man and save up and then buy a second bike................
I learned this the hard way!

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 AM

You also might want to consider the maintenance on an in-line 4 cyl. compared to a twin.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
::::
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Thanks Invader about info on the FZ8... But I am really worry about the FZ8 frame... I heard it's the same frame as the FZ1.

I owned a 07 FZ1 and the frame cracked right on the welding after 3 months and 5000 plus miles... No wheelie and never drop the bike or abuse of any kind other than riding fast and hard....
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 AM

If it were me I'd go for a first gen FZ1. I have ridden one. It is closer to the Versys comfort wise and sitting position. The carburetion is much smoother than the injected gen 2 FZ1 though that can be somewhat addressed. MPG is 40 or less. 26,000 mile valve adjustments. More oil to buy. Nice bike and very fast but if I could do it all over again, I would never have sold my 2002 ZRX1200R. Good luck, this is one of life's tough but fun decisions.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 PM

My riding buddy has a FZ1. He loves it and it is his second bike as he just got an BMW 1000 RR. Now that's a nice bkie!

Hang onto your Versys if you can, different bikes for different rides is a good thing.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:17 PM

Garage
Hey neighbour

Pics of the FZ1 ?

What year ?

Take care

LOP
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post
Never sell a bike! Be a man and save up and then buy a second bike................
I learned this the hard way!
The cost of the bike isn't the only factor. If you live in Canada, then you are familiar with the cost of insurance up here.

If not, it's a deterrent to owning multiple bikes. I'm paying close to $700 / yr for the Versys (40 yr old male, $1000 deductable, clean record, 12 yr riding experience), and that was the cheapest quote I could get...some were in the $900 - $1000/yr range. Given that we're looking at a 6-7 month riding season, it ain't cheap.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 PM

Sport bikes and multiple bike ownership

Rode my new Versys all week after buying last weekend. Hopped on my SV1000 today to ride to work. I am glad to own three bikes the Versys is good. The SV1000 is a F'n gas to ride. My 08 KLR650 I'll save mostly for fire roads and dirt riding with the dual sport club. Sorry your Ins. is pricey. Added the Versys to my basic Ins liability & towing policy today. All three bikes for 385$ per year. The way I look at insurance is. If I am in a wreck and its somebody else's fault they pay for damage. If it's my fault I get to pay if I decide to keep the bike. I quess I better not cause a wreck. I don't finance my bikes so I am not required to get a full coverage policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
The cost of the bike isn't the only factor. If you live in Canada, then you are familiar with the cost of insurance up here.

If not, it's a deterrent to owning multiple bikes. I'm paying close to $700 / yr for the Versys (40 yr old male, $1000 deductable, clean record, 12 yr riding experience), and that was the cheapest quote I could get...some were in the $900 - $1000/yr range. Given that we're looking at a 6-7 month riding season, it ain't cheap.

Dave C

Last edited by cmoreride; 10-15-2010 at 06:55 PM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:06 AM

Been eyeing a leftover FZ1 myself. Probably won't do it though. Also has a FJR1300 AE for $12,700; decisions, ditto, ditto???

:>)-
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 06:52 PM

I had a gen 2 FZ1S with FCE and Leo Vince slip on. Bike was great but sold it to buy a Moto Guzzi Griso which I got rid of to buy 2010 V. I don't think the gen 2 FZ1 is 100 pounds heavier than the V. Handling wise it was good and the brakes were excellent. I also found it to be very comfortable. The power is in a diff league but as someone has already said, it is too much to use and keep your licence! It really took off when it hit about 7k.

I miss the power sometimes but was recently on a trip with some guys on GS 1200, Tiger 1050 and KTM Adventure 990 and I didn't struggle, just had to work it a litle more. We did 1000 miles in 3 days and it didn't miss a beat.

they are both good bikes, just depends what you want. E
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 PM

Just got back from a 3 hour ride in the coulees of Western Wisconsin on my Kawi 650. All I can say is ...just back away from the FZ and don't do it. How can you not love the soul of this bike, it is truley something special that you won't get with the FZ.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 AM

I do sometimes miss the big hit of horsepower available in the liter class.I just picked up a 01 FZ1 as they appear to be going pretty cheap.($2400)
I was surprised that the weight difference is more in the 60ish lb.difference.
I like the carburetion and centerstand of the 1st gen. and their stripped down no nonsense look.I think that this bike and the rz 350 and xt 225 were the best that the tuning fork company ever put out.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:36 AM

......Great looking bike though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode