Dyna beads? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dyna beads?

Anyone use them? If so, are they worth it?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 PM

yes and yes

The only feedback I will give you is I've used them on my last 4 bikes and will use them on my next 4 bikes also.

2 oz front

2 oz rear
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
yes and yes

The only feedback I will give you is I've used them on my last 4 bikes and will use them on my next 4 bikes also.

2 oz front

2 oz rear
Thanks.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Anyone seen any independent test data to show this product works?

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:20 PM

Yes, I used them for the first time when I just changed tires about 500 miles ago. My tires have felt completely balanced since the install.

Tim
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Yes, they work well and are the best solution if you are changing tires at home.
I just dump them in just before finishing spooning the remaining bead on. I'm just careful not to lean the tire over to far so they wont roll out. If you are afraid you might spill them out then just use the bottle and tube that they sell you. After you get the tire mounted, put the tube over your valve stem [valve out of course] and tap it w/your finger. Or if you are in a hurry use an electric engraver [or your wife's u-hum back massage device] to speed up the transfer. Just use a plastic cap from any spray can to scoop them out when transferring them into the next tire. Remember they need a clear path inside your tire carcass to work properly, so if you have to plug a flat tire and notice an imbalance,when you get home take the tire off and trim the plug flush and cover w/a flat interior patch or one of those inverted mushroom plugs. On the other hand if you are sub-letting the tire change at your local dealer, then just let them spin balance it the way they have for the last million years. Don't waste time worrying about which method is best because in the way most of us are using the bike and the surface conditions it probably doesn't matter. Like I posted in another thread I presently have no Dynabeads, no tire weights, no nothing in my rear Roadsmart right now and into triple digits I can't tell the difference. I'm talking to other riders that are also starting to skip any balancing. Maybe they are just making tires more uniform these days.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnc View Post
Yes, I used them for the first time when I just changed tires about 500 miles ago. My tires have felt completely balanced since the install.

Tim
I love this kind of feedback.

Cheers!

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 PM

Do search on you tube for dyna bead demo . They work great I use them on my v and the FJR. ride safe.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 PM

But no actual test data?

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 PM

Motorcycle Consumer News did a test of them and found they were of little benefit, if any. They tested them in both motorcycle and car tires. They are the most independent source of such reviews that I know of, because they at least make an effort to conduct objective tests with measurable results, not subjective impressions. And just as important, they do not accept advertising, so they're not swayed by that.

Of course they got a nasty letter from the Dyna Beads folks afterwards.

MCN's reply was that Dyna Bead should be thankful they weren't even more negative, considering dubious claims by the company of "up to 50%" longer tire wear.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 PM

And as a P.S., I agree with Mountain Man.

I think the greatest advance in tire balancing is taking place at the tire manufacturers' factories. Tires are so much more uniformly and consistently produced these days, they hardly need balancing.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:22 PM

Yes, there is actual real live test data. Motorcycle Consumer News tested them and found they actually made things worse. Google "Motorcycle Consumer News dynabeads" and you will find all you need to know.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Thanks motociclista. That's pretty much what I expected. Seat of the pants evaluations are sometimes of limited use because a guy may have a preconceived opinion. If a product like this has actual value it will be supported by tests. That should be pretty easy to come by if the stuff actually works.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 PM

Had used Dynabeads before and did notice less vibrations.

Using Ride-On now. Does dynamic balancing and also a tire sealant.
http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:49 AM

+1 for Ride-On

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 AM

I mounted my own tires and ran them for about 1k. They felt pretty good. Then I added dynabeads and I think it may be worse now. Definitely not better or worth it to me.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650

Last edited by kenr74; 10-14-2010 at 12:48 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 AM

I got no dog in the dynabead fight. I watched the Youtube demo, and I noticed the demonstrator was careful to bring the bottle to a level position. The beads corrected the wobble in the up/down and left/right planes, but only when the bottle was leveled by the demonstrator in the bottle's bottom/top plane. This makes me think that on straightaways the beads would work, but whenever the tire was leaned over, they wouldn't. Then again, I'm not a physicist. (Thanks for the link to MCN mag, I decided to subscribe.)

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:30 PM

The last 5 tires that I put on (Michelin PR2ís) didnít even have a `Light Spotí indication mark on them and they all balanced with only 1/4 to 3/4oz of weight.

Iím skeptical about the beads method, in fact I suspect that the reason some are getting satisfactory results with them is because the tires were pretty well balanced to begin with ó And just because the rider doesnít feel any noticeable vibration doesnít mean that the tire, wheel bearings & shocks donít...

Itís so easy to do it with weights thatís, what I do.

You canít get an accurate indication by using the wheelís own bearings because of the drag/resistance of the bearing grease.

You can make a balancer stand with some free-rolling bearings (like on skates) but the stands are so cheap (with a shaft & cones) itís arguably not worth the time & effort of fabricating one.

If you lube the bearings at all use a very lightweight oil (like sewing machine oil).

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:31 PM

I can only speak for my personal experience. I put the dyna beads in my XR650 when running dual sport tires. The first and second time I checked the air pressure the valve stem was ruined. Apparently, one of the beads of debris from the beads damaged the seal. I will not use them again. Get yourself a motorcycle tire balancer stand like I did for around $60 and enjoy a really smooth ride. Once you have done it a few times it is really easy to do plus you have the peace of mind it was done right.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=dynabeads

The above thread is a very good one from advrider that does everything from argue/discuss the physics involved, provide testimonials, and "uncover" what dynabeads actually are (industrial polishing pellets, essentially) and thus how to get them much cheaper than ordering them from dynabeads.

An interesting aside is that it is an excellent example of the ever present disconnect between theoretical insight and practical experience/empirical evidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode