Wet Leaves - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wet Leaves

I know a lot of you know this, but I thought I would create a thread dedicated solely to it as almost a "public safety announcement" given the time of year.

I've been in western North Carolina for a year now, but this will be my first Fall with the new motorcycle. Through my work I meet a lot of new people every day and riding motorcycles comes up in conversation here and there. I've been amazed at how often someone knows someone who died or was seriously injured after riding a bike over wet leaves on the road.

I have to be honest that I myself was naive to this until hearing it. I rode a lot years ago, but not in an area where the leaves "shed" as they do here. Now I know, but in case anyone is planning a trip to see the Fall colors here or anywhere else, just keep this in mind. Apparently "wet leaves" on the road spells trouble.

To make it interesting or at least drive the point home, if anyone themselves has any "wet leaves" horror stories, feel free to share them.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 04:15 PM

Dont forget wet road paint. Ive lost the front a few times on wet paint even just the dotted line down the middle of the road but those arrows and large crosswalk areas can put you on your can in a heartbeat.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM

Yep. Any book on motorcycle safety and the MSf course materials mention it. Any lose material in the surface of the road can be a hazard.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Pine straw.

I have had plenty of hiking trips where wet leaves and pine straw have put me donw in a heart beet.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:53 PM

Yeah, I would say this time of the year has it's positives and negatives.

Beautiful scenery that falls on the ground and turns into dangerous hazards. Rut season, hunters, and changes in atmospheric pressure cause the deer to be overly active. Daylight dwindling. Chilly mornings causing unnecessary fog.

Makes for a great commute!! Like trying to navigate mother nature's minefield.

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquared View Post
Yeah, I would say this time of the year has it's positives and negatives.

Beautiful scenery that falls on the ground and turns into dangerous hazards. Rut season, hunters, and changes in atmospheric pressure cause the deer to be overly active. Daylight dwindling. Chilly mornings causing unnecessary fog.

Makes for a great commute!! Like trying to navigate mother nature's minefield.
Don't forget frost on the roads ( almost black ice ) on any shaded parts and the fact that half the drivers out there are too lazy to scrape early in the season and may not see you. Paranoia does make sense when people are out to get you

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 04:59 PM

^^^

Ha Ha! Too true. Keep your eyes peeled everyone! Stupid deer are in the yard right now munching on acorns...

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode