2015/15 650 LT - Alternator capacity - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfcamp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
2015/15 650 LT - Alternator capacity

Anybody know the max output of the 2015 or 16, 650 LT's alternator?

I just picked up a new '16 650LT and am trying to figure out how many electrical goodies I can add (primarily heated gear). On my previous bike, it was about 55 amps which was way more than enough for what I had on the bike.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You will have no problems running a heated jacket & gloves. Do you plan to use more heated gear than that?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
Anybody know the max output of the 2015 or 16, 650 LT's alternator?

I just picked up a new '16 650LT and am trying to figure out how many electrical goodies I can add (primarily heated gear). On my previous bike, it was about 55 amps which was way more than enough for what I had on the bike.
From page 1-11 of the Mk3 Service Manual

Alternator:
Type Three-phase AC
Maximum Output 14 V 24 A @5 000 r/min (rpm)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
at

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys. Exactly what I needed to know. Not use to a bike with only 24 amps. Going to have to be judicious with my electrical farkles.

onewizard - your referenced post gave the baseload, the other piece of important information to know when trying to manage electrons. Great write-up!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Energy Gain/ Led Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
Thanks guys. Exactly what I needed to know. Not use to a bike with only 24 amps. Going to have to be judicious with my electrical farkles.

onewizard - your referenced post gave the baseload, the other piece of important information to know when trying to manage electrons. Great write-up!
May sound ridiculous, convert city lights to T10 led, tail light to led, That is equal to one heated Oxford Grip. You can also gain on intermittent loads, by switching to LED signal lights, equal to 40 watts if converting all four, FYI, don't get the ones with the integral resistor, I bought a 3 wire flasher from China $4 delivered , rated at 220 watts .last you can convert to 3300 lumen LED headlight, if you have the $$$ why not.
Personally, I am running a compufire regulator, with the Gerbing jacket and Oxford grips, I am in the green except at idle, where you run into trouble is the guys that add Denali LED fog lights or run the high beam during the day. The high beam is equal to the Gerbing jacket at max. I have it in other threads, the headlight is rated 55 watts @ 12 volts, this is roughly 65 watts at 14.2 VDC.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
You will have no problems running a heated jacket & gloves. Do you plan to use more heated gear than that?

Nope, that's it.
onewizard likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode