FINALLY - A road trip (well . . . a short one) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
FINALLY - A road trip (well . . . a short one)

Finally made a road trip. Well . . . as close as I've come, anyway. Four hours (2 out and 2 back). Unfortunatly, most of it was interstate and there aren't many twisties on the interstates.

Aside from 2 whackos on liter+ crotch rockets blasting by me on the I20W to I75/85N transition at about 90, it wasn't bad. All set up going into the turn. About ready to drop to the inside and one of the 2 flew past me (on the inside) like I was sippin' mint julips on the veranda. That's a southern expression - think gin and tonic on the front porch. Let off, looked up, rode up. About to try again and the second one did the same thing!! They both came through with a handful of throttle, leaned over, knees down and out. In jeans and tennis shoes!! I s'pose as a rider with lots of experience, it wouldn't have bothered me. But . . . as a nube with only 2K under my assets, yeah, it scared the CRAP out of me.

Aside from that, only 2 complaints - the mirrors (both left and right) that keep spinning around like sailboats pointing into the wind, and the seat. Not bad for a 40-minute commute but DAMN that thing is hard on a longer trip.

Looks like I need to spend some bucks. Oh, well . . .

Whit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Good on Ya Whit for getting out there, just ride at your own pace and you will be fine, don,t let the idiots upset your riding. If you are getting a bit of practice in on turns and you see one of those rockets in your spinning mirror remember to hold your line, don't suddenly deviate to let them in or you may collide with them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Phil. Ride your ride & enjoy it!

Who knows, a few months from now, maybe some noob will be writing a message on the internet about being passed by you!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 PM

hey whit-

im a new rider too with a brand spankin' new v.

maybe we can go ride around the atl area sometime? hit me up if you ever want to ride. i commute on mine as well and haven't hit the mountains yet..

see you soon and stay safe!

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Hey Whit, strangeness about the mirrors, however, the seat will soften up in time. (maybe) I only have 1100 miles on mine and it really doesn't push me forward anymore and I can feel a little butt groove starting to form too. Like the others have said, ride your own ride, let the hooligan's flush out the cops ahead of you....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 04:44 PM

A few more miles and that bike will feel as natural to you as a tick on a hound dog.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
. . . don't suddenly deviate to let them in or you may collide with them.
Yeah, Kiwi, I thought about that last night . . . after I got home. DOH!! I probably should have stood my ground - not so much as a an I-got-here-first statement but from an excuse-me-but-you're-about-to-scare-the-crap-out-of-me-and-I-haven't-the-foggiest-idea-where-to-go standpoint.

Thanks for the replies, folks. Lookin' forward to getting some more seat time. And a softer seat!! I just hope the seat breaks in before my butt does.

Whit

Last edited by whit; 10-11-2010 at 06:49 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Standing your ground is not about being stubborn but for your own safety. If you do a track training day I would presume that you would be instructed to not deviate so it is safety for the bike overtaking you and yourself.

The more you ride the more fluid you will become but a good training day is a great thing to do, to have a professional instructor show you how to ride safe may be a life saving investment down the track. Cheers Phil
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 PM

No need to spend big $$.. Motowerk for the mirror exterders and you can mod the seat yourself (search this site). Enjoy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Hey, don't thinktwice about it. I love distance rides more than anything - that is the "why" I ride.

Got news for ya, on a freeway exchange like that, there may be at any time dewds on sportbikes or fiats or pickups or whatever doing that. Even after you have 20,000 miles under the belt. Just ride your own game.

I much prefer being behind and idiot then to have him behind me. Congrats on the ride and find a way to put a tent on that bike and go spend the night somewhere......

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 PM

Blue locktite will fix the mirror issue. Just let the idiots be idiots on the road. Ride at your own pace and enjoy the ride.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Almost forgot. A roho airhawk but pad fix the seat issue for me. Cheaper than a custom saddle and can keep it if I ever decide to switch rides.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 PM

Whit, lucky you, the adventure is just getting started. Do you use good ear plugs? If not give them a try. Helps to hear yourself think. The more you ride, the more you notice the people around you and yes, some are idiots. Get away from them or let them get away from you and then pay them no mind. On a bike, patience is a virtue.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 AM

whit - im considering doing some seat modding in the next month or 2 once i get some more miles on my vs.. if you're interested in teaming up let me know. i'm on the nw side of town near cumberland mall..

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode