RPM's - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPM's

As I've found a lot of good information on the Forum and as this is my first year riding a 2009 Versys and only my second riding a motorcycle (2009 Kawasaki KLX 250 SF) I'm wondering . . . as I'm more fully utilizing the powerband does it do any harm to the engine or have no effect if I'm going (for example) 45 MPH at 4500 RPM in one gear or the same speed at 6500 RPM in another gear given that the engine is not lugging and I'm not approaching or breaking the redline. Is it strictly rider preference? Hope this makes sense. As I stated I figured this was the right place to go as from what I can tell there's a lot of experience represented here on the Forum. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:09 PM

I prefer to stay at 5500 rpms for extended periods. At 45 mph I would probably keep it at 4500 rpms.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Only answer I can give you is, that running in a gear other than 6th for a LO-O-ONG time might cause premature wear in the trans, and the engine MIGHT wear out a bit sooner. Ride in the gear (and revs) that work for YOU, and with the exception of riding everywhere in 1st gear at screaming revs, that should work.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:33 PM

I like to cruise her between 4000 & 5000 RPM's unless I am in sixth. After 6th, I really don't have a choice. I really like to take her up to 8 or 9K during the entrance to a highway! But I ride like a grandma.... Huh bear??
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:47 PM

Generally speaking (and this applies to most any internal combustion powered vehicle) you will want to cruise in the highest gear, at lowest RPM possible for the least equipment wear and best fuel economy. Use lower gears, higher RPMs and bigger throttle inputs for situations requiring more power. Like passing.......and carrying sumo-wrestling passengers, uphill, at high elevation ;-)

2011 Z1000 (FTW!)
2009 Versys (sold)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 AM

choice of gear is one of the toughies in riding a bike
generally you want to use as high a gear as practical (note NOT possible)

if you are on the straight and level I don't see an issue being in top at 4,500 RPM, especxially if you see you self accelerating in the future.
however approaching corners or where I'd need to consider adjusting speed down I'd want to have some room in the RPM band to fine tune the speed. and starting at 4,500 you don't have that much room. SO I'd be tempted to use 5th in those circumstances.
I find I tend to ride on or about 5,000 RPM, unless its a motorway (freeway) thrash where I am a little more enthusiatic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 AM

I have gone from a 15T front sprocket to a 16T. The rear is left stock. (Mine will be different than yours if you are stock). This ratio relaxes the bike on the highway and allows me to ride through an intersection from a stop without having to shift to second in the middle of it. However it doesn't like hard acceleration under 4000 RPM, light throttle above 3000 is OK. I ride in a gear around town which keeps me slightly above 4000 RPM and on the highway in 6th between 5 and 6000 RPM (70-80MPH). This method is mechanically sympathetic to the V. I have yet to hit red line though this bike runs just fine around 9-10,000 RPM. Too hectic for me. I see your screen name, Reddot, I grew up in Hyde Park. I know well the Reddot factory on B St.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Revolutions Per MinuteS?????????

Run it where ya want. The rev limiter will prevent an over rev, and lugging the engine makes for a jerky ride.

4500 or 6500? no big deal, the bike does not care. Pick the one you like and run it.

I usually keep mine in the 5500-6500 RevolutionsPerMinute range.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 PM

I do not believe the is no right or wrong rev range. In the freeway I stay as low as possible. In the interstates in CO that means 6 to 6.5k to keep up with +80mph traffic. I think this bike sweet spot is about 5k rpm in traffic or in the twisties lots of power right above and good control right below. However, when riding hard I find myself in the 6 to 7k range. Theres where the fun is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode