• 1 Post By kballowe
  • 1 Post By SpyvsSpy
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thinking of trading the V

Trade the V for a CB1000R?? Any insight on the Honda? I've always missed the power of my GSXR750 but I love the seating position of the V650 plus the lowered seat height. Is the CB1kR a likely candidate as an upgrade? Should I add a 250cc supermoto to the stable for practicing wheelies or go for the 1k?? I am torn!!and need insight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Get what your heart desires, I want a 1000 street bike next.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
Trade the V for a CB1000R?? Any insight on the Honda? I've always missed the power of my GSXR750 but I love the seating position of the V650 plus the lowered seat height. Is the CB1kR a likely candidate as an upgrade? Should I add a 250cc supermoto to the stable for practicing wheelies or go for the 1k?? I am torn!!and need insight

Heres one in Houston.....2011 Honda CB1000R $6000 - TWT Forums

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Heres one in Houston.....2011 Honda CB1000R $6000 - TWT Forums
I found a brand new leftover 2014 for 6,999 plus ttl at a TX dealer. Before driving 5+ hours I'd like to at least sit on one or ride a CB just to see if the ergos are for me. The V is feeling so good right now after lowering and new tires but the power output has never made me happy. Don't get me wrong, the V650 is a midrange ripper but top end power falls flat.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:13 AM

Two completely different bikes and riding positions. Hard to get both extra power,light-weight sport-touring etc. etc. from one bike. That's why many end up with two bikes and divorced. lol
onewizard likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:38 AM

Garage
I'm a bit surprised there's no mention here yet of the Versys 1000.
There are still leftover 2015s around at the dealers for around 10,000. You'd have to lower it of course but you get the comfy ergos and the torque you're looking for.
Mind you the V1000 does have the top end zing from the Ninja 1000 tuned down a bit for more mid-range torque but it is no slouch.

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Not an upgrade by any stretch. Two different arrows in your quiver. A good friend of mine has a zzr600, zx-10r, and zrx1200 in his stable. The zx-10r has a fraction of the miles the other two bikes have. The liter SS bikes are special purpose. Fast curves are where they shine. Otherwise, they are just 'bragging rights' bikes.

The Versys is versatile.

If you as leaning toward supermoto, DRZ400SM is the way to go if you want to stay reliable Japanese.

The Versys 650 is a hard motorcycle to beat. When I had mine, I would answer the question, "if you could only have one that is currentlyin your stable?", with the Versys.

I only traded it off because I was doing more work trips in the truck where I hauled a bike with me. The Versys killed my fuel economy because of its height and weight. The KLX250S limited where I could ride at my work location, the the FZ07 was purchased.

Figure out what type of riding you really want to do,and be honest with yourself as to why you are gravitating toward a certain bike. You mentioned wheelies, and the Versys is very capable that department. The FZ07 more so.

If you are looking to attract certain females that are attracted to those who ride certain styles of bikes...etc.

Get out and ride as many different bikes as you can.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:50 AM

Garage
All The Bikes!

Big Jake

Two wheels are better than four
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just keep them all.

They like to have friends.

:-)

quexpress likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've got the room for that many bikes but, the most I've had at one time was three. After about 3 months the wife started asking "when are you going to get rid of one of those bikes".
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I've got the room for that many bikes but, the most I've had at one time was three. After about 3 months the wife started asking "when are you going to get rid of one of those bikes".
Lmao...two or more bikes and the women start getting jealous! Maybe I can mount some handlebars on my lady and kill two birds with one stone!
Duffy likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 AM

Yea, you need multiple bikes.

I love my Ducati 900ss but then when I hope on the Versys 650 i'm so comfortable and relaxed; then I go grab the FZR600 and that inline 4 screams through the gears smoothly begging for more... Then the CB250 and 350 take me back in time and allow me to zoom around town and smile...

Toys, 5 and counting... haha!

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 AM

I understand your complaint.. It's my biggest one as well. The excitement and power coming from that little ptwin is akin to a Prius dragging concrete blocks. BUT..
It has value. It's cheap to maintain, fairly comfortable and as said, the handling is spot on. Like others on here, I have 2 other bikes, that being said I don't know if I would keep the V as an only bike.. but it would be close. It serves the purpose I use it for well, mostly commuting, an occasional run ride with friends on Harleys, places where the power deficit isn't as much of a big deal. Where I notice it most is in the mountains, Because it handles well I can carry good speed into turns, but I miss the power coming out of them.

There are options, Yamaha, KTM, Ducati, well just about everyone makes adventure'ish bikes in the 100+ hp range... How much do you want to spend, how much do you want it to weigh, it's all a trade off.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I've been wanting a supermoto for screwing around town and offroad double duty(with wheel swap). Regardless of what bike I get a supermoto will be a part of the stable. I just don't know if its worth it to settle on the V's power. The CB is about 40 more horse and maybe the same weight as the V. The V gives me 75% of what I am looking for on a motorcycle. Also, the guys that I ride with are on a ducati 900 ducati 1098 and a cbr600rr and I am jealous of the power difference
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 02:34 PM

I ride KTM dirtbikes and I was orginally wanting a 2013 KTM 990smt (last year). They make the same bike in a supermoto version and it is badass. Just watch a few youtube videos. It is not that hard to find them but they are pricey 8000-10,000 for low miles. I would be riding a KTM if they made a new smaller SMT but they don't. thats what drew me to the Versys 650 LT. Good luck.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My wife doesn't care how many bikes I own. She wants me to open a shop when I retire. That is how you stay married for over 30 years.

Having a stable of collectable bikes can be any size because you are mostly just storing them. Having a stable of daily riders does have its limits. Mine is 6. I got up to 8 for a time and then also had a roadster to play with. That got to be too time consuming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My stable.jpg (42.3 KB, 31 views)
quexpress likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Today I went to a local bike dealer and sat on the z1000 and gsx-s1000. I have to say that the suzuki was nice but no honda cb was in sight. I like how the seat height is nice and low and handlebars don't leave you in an aggressive stance. I just wonder how the suspension and engine would be on a daily basis...
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:37 AM

BMW Motorrad USA I love all things Kawasaki but this may very well be my next bike, after it is refined a bit. It has a wicked vibration in it's current config.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyem View Post
BMW Motorrad USA I love all things Kawasaki but this may very well be my next bike, after it is refined a bit. It has a wicked vibration in it's current config.

That was tops on my list.Then i test rode the V-1000 and bought it.

P1010615 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Destroyem likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode