Will the Verseys fit? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Will the Verseys fit?

Hi. I'm new here. I was just eye-balling up the Verseys. There's a few used ones around here. I'm using my 2007 KLR650 for pavement and my 2009 KLX250s for getting it out of my system in the woods. I end up setting up the KLR for more adventure stuff for our yearly trip to the Black Hills and I'd like to keep it that way. I think I need a little better road bike but I'm really used to how the KLR fits me.

Can you lift your butt off the seat easily and put your weight on the pegs on the Verseys or is it like doing a swat? Can you shift your weight and throw the bike around? How's the seat on it? I have a 30" inseam and I'm 300#s. I don't want to go back to being wadded up like a crotch rocket seating position and I don't want to dabble into BMW stuff because I don't have that kind of expendable money and those people are too strange, happy-smug, and well groomed. I'm too much of a filthy animal for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I stand up on the pegs when i'm going faster than i should going over rail road track that are built up. I'm around 270lbs you'll find alot of larger guys riding the versys and i'm a 32 inseam you should fit quite well.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
You can stand up on pegs and give it heck, i usually have balls of my feet on pegs and hold on for dear life as the versys chews up and spits out some narrow windy roads and as a previuos bmw owner can say that is a strange club to be in

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Get Speedy's footpeg lowering kit for adequate leg room.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 AM

I weigh in at 196-200, depending on how I feel..... I stand on the foot pegs very often. As for throwing the bike around, the Versys is a super responsive bike that always does what I ask of it, including tight swerves to avoid potholes at 60-70mph. My buddy's got an '08 KLR and the most noticeable difference to me is the suspension travel (keeping in mind that the KLR is supposed to have more travel, and does). As for seat comfort, I rode over seven hundred miles over four days (out of state and back), and noticed that after about an hour or so, I did need to get off ad stretch a bit, not for discomfort of the stock seat, but I think anyone will need to shake off the road burn after long distance, constant speed riding.

Hope this helps and hope to recruit another Versys owner!
Take care.

'09 Greener
Ride on. Ride hard. Respect the bike.

Last edited by WannaRideVersys; 10-09-2010 at 09:29 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 AM

Like you I also have a 09 klx250s for the dirt. The Versys I have is set up like a adventure bike (GS etc). Very comfortable, light weight. I added bar risers, lower peg blocks taller screen and a Alaskan Leather cover. You will love the bike. Good luck with your search
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Not trying to be difficult, but asking questions like these amount to looking around long enough in order to find an "opinion" that justifies your decision. You'll always find ONE person here that will tell you what you want to hear. I think it's damned near criminal to make recommendations in order to simply "recruit" Versys owners. I'd much rather you buy something else if this bike doesn't fit you or your needs.

I'd have to say your physiology falls outside the 85th percentile (industry design standard for ergonomics). You didn't mention your height, but with your description, I suspect that there is probably no bike designed for your build. So.....my advice: Go to a dealer and sit one (a ride is even better), stand up, move around and see what you think.

Maybe one of these guys on the forum would meet up and let you try their bike out. Good luck on that, too.

In the end it's your decision, Study hard!

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 10-09-2010 at 12:37 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
Not trying to be difficult, but asking questions like these amount to looking around long enough in order to find an "opinion" that justifies your decision. You'll always find ONE person here that will tell you what you want to hear. I think it's damned near criminal to make recommendations in order to simply "recruit" Versys owners. I'd much rather you buy something else if this bike doesn't fit you or your needs.

I'd have to say your physiology falls outside the 85th percentile (industry design standard for ergonomics). You didn't mention your height, but with your description, I suspect that there is probably no bike designed for your build. So.....my advice: Go to a dealer and sit one (a ride is even better), stand up, move around and see what you think.

Maybe one of these guys on the forum would meet up and let you try their bike out. Good luck on that, too.

In the end it's your decision, Study hard!

V-Zee
I think you're right. I'm 6 foot with boots on. Before I take the time to go waste someone's time I'd like to see if there's other overgrown apes like me who ride these things and if they kinda fit enough so a a footpeg lowering kit and a corbin seat will make it work or if the thing is made for 150 pound midgets. I've been browsing around the board and there's other man-sized men on here who seem to like their bikes. I may have to go see one up close. Is the suspension sprung heavily enough for us or do we need to buy heavier springs?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Donkey View Post
I think you're right. I'm 6 foot with boots on. Before I take the time to go waste someone's time I'd like to see if there's other overgrown apes like me who ride these things and if they kinda fit enough so a a footpeg lowering kit and a corbin seat will make it work or if the thing is made for 150 pound midgets. I've been browsing around the board and there's other man-sized men on here who seem to like their bikes. I may have to go see one up close. Is the suspension sprung heavily enough for us or do we need to buy heavier springs?
I've never touched my suspension. it started off real stiff but now seems great. when i picked it up from the dealership they told me not to touch the suspension until i put a 1000 miles glad i listened. because it the first thing i wanted to do. If you like extremely hards seats get a corbin if not you might want to do more research in that area

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Did they make a Verseys in green yet?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:00 PM

Garage
09's are green and blue

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:50 PM

I'm 6' 230 without boots.. The nice thing about this bike is that it is endlessly customizeable. ( Is that a word ?) So far I've raised the handlebars... lowered the footpegs, put on mirror extenders with vibration dampeners... 44t rear sproket, lowering kit...etc. Now it's almost perfect... and the mods aren't that expensive.. The best move for me was the handlebars and foot pegs .. transformed the bike.. fun to ride.. I'm still keeping my cruiser though...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:05 PM

What's your location? I've just acquired a brand new '09 Versys, have only 400 miles on it. It came with expensive hard side cases and I added lowered pegs, Calsci x large windshield, raised handlebars and flatfoot sidestand accessory. Could be perfect for you. Would sell if I could do so in the next couple of weeks. Reason: I foolishly test rode an '08 Aprilia Shiver for sale. Actually, the Shiver and Versys appear similar to me; the Versys has most everything the Shiver does. (Except 30 more horsepower.)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Donkey View Post
I'm 6'0", 285, 30" inseam.

The pegs are a little high. Not supersport high, but sport-touring high. You'll probably want a peg lowering kit, especially if you're kind of thick in the legs like me. Being scrunched up all day makes my knees ache. The bike is DEFINITELY sprung for big guys. When I sit on a KLR, the bike drops 3" or so. When I sit on the Versys, maybe an inch. It's pretty tall too. The seat will have enough room for you most likely, but will feel a little small. I haven't been on a Corbin seat for the Versys. I know the KLR seat is pretty flat, but the one I had on my M50 cruiser had a pretty deep butt-pocket that was too small for my backside and it hurt to sit on with the edges digging into my tush.

If you're interested, you should definitely test-sit one. It's certainly a workable bike for a big guy. Whether it's right for you is something you'll have to try it out and decide.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errandboy View Post
What's your location? I've just acquired a brand new '09 Versys, have only 400 miles on it. It came with expensive hard side cases and I added lowered pegs, Calsci x large windshield, raised handlebars and flatfoot sidestand accessory. Could be perfect for you. Would sell if I could do so in the next couple of weeks. Reason: I foolishly test rode an '08 Aprilia Shiver for sale. Actually, the Shiver and Versys appear similar to me; the Versys has most everything the Shiver does. (Except 30 more horsepower.)
I'm in central Wisconsin.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

I really need to stay the hell of these internet sites. I'm going to force myself to finish remodeling my house first. Then I'll look at another toy. I found one.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...ersys-97093749
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode