September Motorcyclist - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
September Motorcyclist

Anyone else feel like Motor Cycling is being threatened? I am relatively new to motorcycling and still get some ribbing by the ignorant masses, but as a whole in the Solutheast it does seem like some social shunning is going on.

I personally feel like it's coming down from above from some where, but not sure where. But not sure where. Seems like the most static comes from the church crowd, but why. Where do they get influenced?

Ask yourself what do Goverments run on. Taxes, if there are more motorcycle riders we burn less gas. Sure, it's dangerous to ride. But isn't our Wright to choose? If there is less gas burned then there is less taxes to fund The Man. I want to pay taxes for things that are worthy, not just to keep him in The House.

All I can say is ride more. Drive less.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

He he he

Nice picture!

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:12 PM

Some people just don't like motorcycles I guess. It's funny but the other day during my morning commute I merged into the left lane with plenty of space to do so. Guy behind me started blaring his horn and when I looked back to see what all the commotion was he was shaking his head at me. I thought that to be a bit strange, so I came to a complete stop in the middle of the freeway for him to explain his weird behavior. He never did, but I made sure to go nice and slow for a while just in case he was in a hurry.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Lost two good jobs.

I had two good jobs I quit because of the amount of crap from people. It was not like I walked in wearing leather and was sweaty. It was a certain collection of folks that were just bent on giving me a hard time. HR did not seem to care and seemed to side with them with there opinion of dangerous activity. My point was that surely if I had achieved 40K+ miles with no ticket or accidents I had to be doing something right.

They never seemed to connect the dots.

Cheers!

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Maybe....just maybe, it had nothing to do with the bike!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg123 View Post
Maybe....just maybe, it had nothing to do with the bike!
Well since they brought up the fact that I have children. Maybe you are right?

Cheers!

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Some people just don't like motorcycles I guess. It's funny but the other day during my morning commute I merged into the left lane with plenty of space to do so. Guy behind me started blaring his horn and when I looked back to see what all the commotion was he was shaking his head at me. I thought that to be a bit strange, so I came to a complete stop in the middle of the freeway for him to explain his weird behavior. He never did, but I made sure to go nice and slow for a while just in case he was in a hurry.
Doesn't have to be because of the bike. My shuttle driver from LAX did all sorts of honking, brights flashing, and saying of (presumably) bad words in a language I don't know when drivers made moves around him in traffic that, had I been in the drivers seat, would not have called for even a raised eyebrow, let alone all that sound and fury. Conversely, the helmswoman on the return trip batted not a single eye at all manner of d**k moves.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Yesterday I was riding in to Calgary, and pulled out to pass a Nissan Versa on a 2-laner at about 70 mph. Checked my mirror to pull in and he was still in my mirror. Checked my speedo in case I'd slowed down, but I was at 80 and he was increasing his speed, so I got out of the throttle and let him stay #1. (And he gave me the "evil eye" as he went by my right....)
What an asshat!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:37 AM

Yeah Angst, I know what you mean about loss of tax revenue. I rode my bicycle to work the other day and I could swear I was being followed by a couple of "G-men" (you know, gumshoes).
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
Anyone else feel like Motor Cycling is being threatened?
Are you still at the same job? You started another thread on this subject, just slightly different in the wording.

Maybe you are the kind of person people like to pull your chain? If you give them what they want, they will not let up.

I couldn't give a rats ass about whether or not somebody gives a hoot about me riding. Most I believe are jealous that they cant ride because they are either scared to commit or they have a wifey at home that says "NO".

To answer your question, No. I do not feel motorcycling is being threatened in any way.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:00 AM

This is a funny sort of thread to me. I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that I doubt most of you here really know what motorcycle discrimination really is. When I was riding choppers in California around 1968 - 1972 every time I went for a ride the coppers were sure to stop you at least twice. Try to check into a motel, no way. So I probably don't even notice discrimination now because it is so mild compared to that experience. I guess I am more lucky than some of you as I ride to work; out of about 30 employees, 4 are women, there must be at least 8-9 that ride to work occasionally. Two of the gals have taken rides with a couple of the employees also so I guess you would have to say the management is tolerant.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 AM

In case anyone wants to find the article mentioned by the OP, it's in the November issue of Motorcyclist and definitely worth a read.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
In case anyone wants to find the article mentioned by the OP, it's in the November issue of Motorcyclist and definitely worth a read.
Anybody have a link or can scan and upload the article, I would like to read it.

Tx.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Here in Detroit (and [email protected]) there are a lot of riders...and I gotta say, Detroit drivers are for the most part very thoughtful of riders. (and I say that even though my boss is now in a rehab/extended care facility after being broadsided 10 days ago.
Almost 8-grand on my odometer and I really haven't experienced any motoring hostility. I get lots of questions about my BMW/Ducati/Aprilia!! though.
Lots of thumbs up too...Perhaps it's the Versys its self.....she's a CHARMER!!
Luck of the draw perhaps but so far so good.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 11:32 AM

I don't ride a Hardly Davidson, but I live in the state that is the home of the company, Wisconsin. Wisconsin and the folks in Wisconsin are very very tolerant and friendly towards bikers. There is huge amount of recognition in the state of Wisconsin for motorcyclists. I also don't experience any problems associated with "shunning" in the neighboring states of Minnesota, Iowa, or Michigan.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
so I came to a complete stop in the middle of the freeway for him to explain his weird behavior.
I'm guessing that this did not really happen, right? Say it ain't so,Joe!

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:22 PM

stuff um
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:55 PM

angst, GROW A PAIR, tell em you don't give a #@%& about their insignifant closed minded opinions Why does it bother you so much what others think or say, take it with a grain of salt. Don't worry be happy!
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
I'm guessing that this did not really happen, right? Say it ain't so,Joe!

V-Zee
Sure enough it did happen. Just this past week to. It was rush hour and freeway traffic wasn't moving fast at all. Second time I had to stop in the freeway too waiting for a dumbass driver to explain himself.....maybe I should start packing while doing this dumb **** though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode