• 1 Post By silviefox
  • 2 Post By Cheftyler
  • 1 Post By invader
  • 2 Post By Lours_Polaire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Caught on camera a fellow rider got hit by a car

I highly recommend everyone to have a DVR recorder just for cases like that. Mine is a crappy quality especially at night but i can't afford a better one now....

link to the video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...HB1S1J6ajU4YW8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Thats why when i get on the bike my camera is always on....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Vaulter and Joe, where are you guys mounting you cameras these days? Also, what is everyone using. Are the GpPros worth the extra money?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:20 AM

Garage
link to the video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...HB1S1J6ajU4YW8[/QUOTE]

Keeps giving me an error msg when I try to watch.

Yes, I also am in the market for a camera. Any suggestions to help this process would be appreciated.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Vaulter and Joe, where are you guys mounting you cameras these days? Also, what is everyone using. Are the GpPros worth the extra money?
sj4000 is a gopro knock off that cost about $40 and work great, not the highest quality but work great
heres a vid from a sj4000(mounted on bike) and a drift 720hd on my helmet
Lours_Polaire likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:15 AM

How did the car hit him? He hit the back of the car when it suddenly stopped in front of him. Yes indeed it probably came to be the car's fault in the accident by making a left turn on a yield green and not seeing the bicycle coming into the crosswalk in front of him (which is probably where bicycles are not supposed to be depending on your city laws) and having to stop abruptly in front of your friend. But you guys didn't help the situation either. Even if it is legal where you are, splitting lanes and not riding defensively in city traffic is never a good idea. This was just a raw situation everyone played a hand in making happen.

2009 Blue Versys
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post

I've never been a GoPro fan but they have improved since the one i had. I like Drift Cameras I've been using 2 Drift Ghosts since they came out. My second one is now mounted in the Girlfriends car. There are a lot of the GoPro look alikes that are really good.

I have my camera on the helmet.....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsRider View Post
How did the car hit him? He hit the back of the car when it suddenly stopped in front of him. Yes indeed it probably came to be the car's fault in the accident by making a left turn on a yield green and not seeing the bicycle coming into the crosswalk in front of him (which is probably where bicycles are not supposed to be depending on your city laws) and having to stop abruptly in front of your friend. But you guys didn't help the situation either. Even if it is legal where you are, splitting lanes and not riding defensively in city traffic is never a good idea. This was just a raw situation everyone played a hand in making happen.
I'm not sure how the legalities of that accident would all work out. The Car caused the accident, but didn't hit the bike. The bike hit the car, the car stopped because of another interference..round and round it goes. I would suppose the car would be at fault for partially blocking the travel lane, but what option the car had to avoid that once in motion is unknown.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Ok to make a couple things clear. The other rider is not my friend, I just happened to ride behind him. I don't know whose fault that was but i want to believe it was the car's fault (but i am biased like we all are here...), I will give the other guy that video file and he will decide what to do with it.
Regarding splitting lanes, i rarely do it.. but I live in NYC and the traffic here is very heavy. Most riders do lane split here.

Here is a link to what I have: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...608.0.0.bEIfoP

I highly recommend to not mount anything to your helmet but rather to your bike's frame and wire it to your bike's switch. If you mount it to a helmet you will most likely forget to charge it from time to time and it will be uncomfortable to carry your helmet around or to chain it to a bike because the camera may get stolen. My camera works independently and records in loops. I often times forget it is even there and don't touch it for months (until something like tomorrow happens).

I mounted my camera the way no one can even see it, and it's protected from rain and other road debris (see pics).

** if you cant open the video, try a different browser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160927_172439.jpg (41.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 20160927_172527.jpg (61.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20160927_172451.jpg (41.9 KB, 63 views)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:10 PM

Garage
I have a top box to keep my helmet & camera in.If not the camera comes off easily just like the Scala G9 and both can be put in jacket pocket if need be...

My camera offers Car DVR Mode. Records in loops. Comes on automatically when i have it plugged into a 12V Outlet turns itself off at a set time when the key is turned off. Charges while in use....

I've had cameras mounted all over the bike I prefer the helmet that way the camera picks up what eyes see.

Been using a camera on the bike since 2010

Have over 600 videos on YouTube

Just my 2 cents....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-08-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have a top box to keep my helmet & camera in.If not the camera comes off easily just like the Scala G9 and both can be put in jacket pocket if need be...

My camera offers Car DVR Mode. Records in loops. Comes on automatically when i have it plugged into a 12V Outlet turns itself off at a set time when the key is turned off. Charges while in use....

I've had cameras mounted all over the bike I prefer the helmet that way the camera picks up what eyes see.

Been using a camera on the bike since 2010

Have over 600 videos on YouTube

Just my 2 cents....
Ok, whatever works for you... me personally, I ride short distances a lot (5-10 minute rides) and to wire the helmet camera each time sounds like a hassle. Often times my ride lasts 5 minutes, then I stop for groceries, then another 5 minutes i stop at the post office, then another 5 minutes i stop at the bank... in such scenario i don't think a "battery" camera would be the best match.
For long distances however, helmet camera would probably be a better choice.
Another concern, helmet manufactures don't recommend to mount anything to the helmet for safety reasons, also in some states helmet cameras are illegal.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
Ok, whatever works for you... me personally, I ride short distances a lot (5-10 minute rides) and to wire the helmet camera each time sounds like a hassle. Often times my ride lasts 5 minutes, then I stop for groceries, then another 5 minutes i stop at the post office, then another 5 minutes i stop at the bank... in such scenario i don't think a "battery" camera would be the best match.
Another concern, helmet manufactures don't recommend to mount anything to the helmet for safety reasons, also in some states helmet cameras are illegal.
I can't speak to Joe's setup, but my helmet cam has a battery in it so the only wiring I have is when I need to charge the camera and then I just set my helmet on the counter and plug the charger into the camera.

I would like to have a front and rear facing camera setup hard mounted to the bike as well, but that will come with time.
weljo2001 and silviefox like this.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I'm not sure how the legalities of that accident would all work out. The Car caused the accident, but didn't hit the bike. The bike hit the car, the car stopped because of another interference..round and round it goes. I would suppose the car would be at fault for partially blocking the travel lane, but what option the car had to avoid that once in motion is unknown.
i just watched the video several times again. Looks like the car could have moved much further in and still let the pedestrian cross. The car stopped all of a sudden seeing the motorcycle moving towards it. The bike almost made it, it barely touched the car but it was enough to cause big damage. Had the car moved in even 2 feet more, nothing would have happened.
Luckily I have the video and it will serve as evidence should the biker decide to take it to court.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
I can't speak to Joe's setup, but my helmet cam has a battery in it so the only wiring I have is when I need to charge the camera and then I just set my helmet on the counter and plug the charger into the camera.

I would like to have a front and rear facing camera setup hard mounted to the bike as well, but that will come with time.

Mines not wired to the bike. But can be if needed.(12V Outlet) The battery last almost 3 hrs. I keep spares if needed.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post

The quality of the video that was posted is pretty bad though. Can you use a higher dpi & fps ? / Never mind i went back and saw it was 1080dpi

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-08-2016 at 04:54 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Actually, it's your fellow rider that hit the rear of a car that had stopped... Weird.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Actually, it's your fellow rider that hit the rear of a car that had stopped... Weird.
My understanding also ... But it's dark and a sh*ty video

LOP
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
sj4000 is a gopro knock off that cost about $40 and work great, not the highest quality but work great
heres a vid from a sj4000(mounted on bike) and a drift 720hd on my helmet
https://youtu.be/cnfXT4c31eE
Have one of those also

Can't beat that price/quality

And make sure you get the SJ400 cam, not the knock off (can you imagine that there is a knock of a knock off ...)

Has some nice feature, same size as GoPro (so most accesories will fit) and very decent video quality and option of gopro of 2-3 years ago

LOP
silviefox and quexpress like this.

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 12-15-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Changed AS for Has ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode