• 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
OEM 47L top case lighting

I have been looking at the top case with the idea of adding some lighting. It seems to have a place for lights (perhaps on the Givi model). Has anyone added some led lighting to one of these top cases? All I'm thinking about is running/brake lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
There are several ways to go but for me. I've had the Admore Light Kit in my Givi E-55 top case since 2010. I also put an Admore Light Bar on my bikes........https://www.admorelighting.com

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Garage
IMG_0463 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Lours_Polaire likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have a friend who added the light kit to his Givi topcase. I wasn't impressed, it's not very bright at all. Also he had problems with the connections corroding, which I see mentioned in the revzilla reviews also.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Givi 56 / Admorelighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I have been looking at the top case with the idea of adding some lighting. It seems to have a place for lights (perhaps on the Givi model). Has anyone added some led lighting to one of these top cases? All I'm thinking about is running/brake lights.

I have added their kit, very expensive and more applicable for night time operation. I have short video of it, if time permits I will upload it to my Youtube channel. Too bad this site doesn't support uploading video.

My opinion, your best bang for the buck is Admore Lighting light bar or mini like I have, it is 5 times brighter than the Givi kit, and at almost half the cost.

My original location for the light bar obstructed the view of the brake light, the one picture shows the word Maxia, on either side of that word a handle will pop out if you release it, what I did is move the light bar and mounted it on plastic standoffs, mounted on the grey area on either side of Maxia. I will try and add a picture of it. The new location is generally directly in the line of sight of all car drivers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0127.jpg (36.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0113.jpg (69.4 KB, 49 views)
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-24-2016 at 07:51 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have added their kit, very expensive and more applicable for night time operation. I have short video of it, if time permits I will upload it to my Youtube channel. Too bad this site doesn't support uploading video.

My opinion, your best bang for the buck is Admore Lighting light bar or mini like I have, it is 5 times brighter than the Givi kit, and at almost half the cost.

I will try and post some updated video of both in the next week, as my original location for the light bar obstructed the view of the brake light.

If i had to choose just one i would pick the light bar. But i have both so i'm happy.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:02 PM

Garage
Heres an old video from 2010 i did before i moved the light bar to the license plate bracket.......

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

I noticed that Givi makes a kit that inserts under the smoked plastic strips on their V47. The pictures of their top case and the Kawasaki one looks identical. I e-mailed them to see if it would indeed fit the OEM Kawasaki case. Probably won't hear back for a week or so.

According to their site each strip is 6 LEDs with two degrees of brightness. I'm not sure I like the way they advise to wire it in but we'll see.

I would like the aux lite to be higher than where most folks are putting the light bar.

That Ardmore kit looks interesting with the turn signals built in.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 12:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
I noticed that Givi makes a kit that inserts under the smoked plastic strips on their V47. The pictures of their top case and the Kawasaki one looks identical. I e-mailed them to see if it would indeed fit the OEM Kawasaki case. Probably won't hear back for a week or so.

According to their site each strip is 6 LEDs with two degrees of brightness. I'm not sure I like the way they advise to wire it in but we'll see.

I would like the aux lite to be higher than where most folks are putting the light bar.

The OEM Top Case is a Givi

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Light Bar Video

Quote:

I will make a video of my light bar, and post it here later today, once you see it, you will forget the top case kit, it is 3 to 5 times brighter than the top case, I worked with Admore on the V56, as it was experimental/ first off production, with a discount if I supplied pictures. In the end I complained and gave them my opinion, I had wiring problems, however in the end , the mini is what I said. Their response was you can't compare as the light bar has roughly the multiple of brightness in leds.

If I was to do it again, I would buy the full size light bar like Weljo 2001 has!!

weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-25-2016 at 07:24 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Garage
Light Bar on the FJR

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I have a Canadian friend that I have ridden with frequently (he rides an 06' Nomad with an HD Tour Pack) and he has a light bar attached below the Tour Pack (the Tour Pack itself has built in lights just below the lid) but above the OEM brake light. It is bright enough and has a flashing element when activated but should have been placed up on the Tour Pack, perhaps on the lid for better light distribution. Kind of like a third brake light on a cage. I think that lights in the lid (like Weljo shows in his pics/video) would be the best location for light distribution and that's where the OEM case has placement for them.

My main concern is that 6 LED's may not be a bright as I would like although Weljo's video of those lights looks plenty bright but that is "night time".

Weljo: I just looked at your day video and the upper lights are noticeably brighter when the brakes are applied. I am aware that Givi makes the bags for Kawasaki. Just not for sure if the OEM 47L case is the same as Givi's V47 case. Sure looks the same. The light bar is brighter than those though.

Last edited by Duffy; 11-24-2016 at 11:10 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have a Canadian friend that I have ridden with frequently (he rides an 06' Nomad with an HD Tour Pack) and he has a light bar attached below the Tour Pack (the Tour Pack itself has built in lights just below the lid) but above the OEM brake light. It is bright enough and has a flashing element when activated but should have been placed up on the Tour Pack, perhaps on the lid for better light distribution. Kind of like a third brake light on a cage. I think that lights in the lid (like Weljo shows in his pics/video) would be the best location for light distribution and that's where the OEM case has placement for them.

My main concern is that 6 LED's may not be a bright as I would like although Weljo's video of those lights looks plenty bright but that is "night time".

Weljo: I just looked at your day video and the upper lights are noticeably brighter when the brakes are applied. I am aware that Givi makes the bags for Kawasaki. Just not for sure if the OEM 47L case is the same as Givi's V47 case. Sure looks the same. The light bar is brighter than those though.
Both the top cases are the same. Yes the light bar is brighter even in the daylight i know it will get noticed....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Admore Lighting Bar

[quote=onewizard;1256834]I will make a video of my light bar, and post it here later today, once you see it, you will forget the top case kit, it is 3 to 5 times brighter than the top case, I worked with Admore on the V56, as it was experimental/ first off production, with a discount if I supplied pictures. In the end I complained and gave them my opinion, I had wiring problems, however in the end , the mini is what I said. Their response was you can't compare as the light bar has roughly the multiple of brightness in leds.

If I was to do it again, I would buy the full size light bar like Weljo 2001 has!!

I found the light from the light bar was so bright the camera couldn't respond, so that area is overexposed, to the human eye it is 3 to 5 times brighter than the top case LEDs.

I took a close up with it off,this way you can see the number of leds, also the mounting is pop riveted using stainless rivets, and stainless hardware, the mount bracket is a 2 inch ABS trailer hitch draw bar cap I had kicking around, cut in half. My plan is to get a waterproof 5 pin ??? connector this winter, that would allow me to remove the top case, a second option was to make tool less means of removal like thumb screws in stainless, then make a second mounting for the top case base, allowing the use of the light bar without the top case.

You will notice the 3 rd picture shows the top case handle extended, this is released by keying hard clockwise. The mounting of this light bar took all parameters into consideration.

I owe the encouragement to move it to Weljo as several others commented about the brake light being blocked!!
I couldn't be happier where it is mounted, from the ground to the center is 50 inches, I don't know of too many vehicles that have a dash higher than this above the ground.

I reached a point where I was done modifying and just wanted to ride this summer, so unless it is absolutely needed it ain't happening until snow is on the ground!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0211.jpg (35.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0212.jpg (37.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0213.jpg (40.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by onewizard; 11-25-2016 at 07:25 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Lots of LEDs in that light bar..............................
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
FWIW - I used "trailer-wiring" four-wire connectors for all the lights in my aluminum panniers (running, turn, brake).

They are 'quick-connect/ -disconnect', and worked as advertised when I low-sided on the Dempster Hwy in June 2015.... Look for the shadow of the connector against the dirt on the 'bag.

Here it's connected back up.

onewizard and Lours_Polaire like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Look For A School Buss Missing Red Lights

Still not sure where those lights came from, at first my thought turned to the title of my post, however upon closer examination, those are way bigger than what school buses in Ontario use, possibly from one of them UFO sightings, they left in a hurry when they saw the square box with the moose coming after them!

And for those people looking at the photos, note: a hammer and WD 40 fixes everything on a Versys, also take along that can of Stagg Chili , may need to eat it in a hurray so you can use the can for patching things, which is where the hammer comes into play, it also doubles as a can opener AKA multi purpose tool***don't leave home without it!!

Last edited by onewizard; 11-25-2016 at 12:53 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

I used the flat four connector on the trike kit I had on the Vulcan. They work good. It's what I would use on the top case also.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
thats a big boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode