• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By saddlebag
  • 1 Post By Cheftyler
  • 1 Post By Green Streak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
known issues with Gen 3 versys

Planning on getting a new 2016/2017 Versys soon. Are there any known issues with these bikes or concerns to look for? Most of what I have read or viewed online has given good news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I had to replace the rear brake pads on my '15 650 at about 12K miles. My '08 (at 66K miles) is STILL on the originals...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

That's just regular maintenance. Could this be the most reliable bike on the market for the last ten years?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I've not heard of any known or common problems or issues with them.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 PM

Garage
Buy with confidence. This is a Kawasaki product. The engine is proven, bullet-proof.

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Multiple Posts on Rear Brake MK-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
That's just regular maintenance. Could this be the most reliable bike on the market for the last ten years?
I can tell you it isn't, my 2015 rear is making noise at 11000 KM, my 07 had original pads when I sold it this year with 30,000 KM on it. I think I may be paying a visit to my dealer before the warranty runs out.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:12 AM

Rear pads on mine went out at 24k fronts are pretty thin as well have replacements waiting.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Rear Brake / Dealer / Head Machanic Inquiry

I have called about the rear brake, today was a off day for the head mechanic, plan is to call tomorrow and the owner of the Dealership will also inquire today for me. One question was related to the ABS which really shouldn't have a effect, however I will post what I find.

One thing I like about this dealership is the mechanic says it like it is, as a example, I had the first service done by them, came to something like $130.
I was down weeks later picking up some special parts/ tools for doing my own servicing, stopped into the service department and talked to the head mechanic, I asked about synthetic oil, he said part of his training from Kawi, was you could run synthetic oil from the very first oil change, that information was a total surprise. A month later I returned 4 liters of Kawi mineral oil and got my money back. I am now a happy Mobile1 15/50 synthetic oil user, on my 3rd oil change!!
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-23-2016 at 08:17 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Personally - I do NOT accept that the rear pads being worn-out by 12K miles is "regular maintenance", particularly as I have had two Gen 1s that had the OEM rear pads for MUCH longer.
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
my "stainless steel" muffler "rusted" within 3 months. wtf...
http://s31.postimg.org/q43ofbsuh/DSC_1653.jpg

bad batch I guess.
they changed it on warranty.
no problem since.

Last edited by dddd; 11-23-2016 at 05:26 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Dealer/ Head Mechanic / Rear Brake

I talked to the head mechanic, who converses with Kawasaki all the time.

#1 The rubber boot on the front , make sure it is in the proper place, check the manual it mentions a good brake grease be used , refer to the manual for instructions, as you should know, you do not want any lube of any kind on the rotor or brake pads. I found the rubber boot on my 2015 pushed/ compressed to the maximum, I possibly cause that although I think it came that way, you will see a groove were the front of the boot is to sit in.

#2 The second and most important thing, which I thought of before, was the fluid level, it needs to be at or below maximum, otherwise when it heats up, it has no place to expand, hence the dragging rear brake.

As to the dealership, they haven't had any reports of rear brake problems and this is a excellent dealership. I don't want to mention the name here as it would be unfair to the others. If you live in Central Ontario this is a good one.
quexpress likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 03:37 AM

Riding home from work this morning my clutch cable froze up....had to pump it several times to get it to work. About 13 degrees F and interstate speeds.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo64 View Post
Riding home from work this morning my clutch cable froze up....had to pump it several times to get it to work. About 13 degrees F and interstate speeds.
I think that may be due to using oil incompatible with the tempature. It's an oil immersed clutch.

As for rear brake pads wearing out at 12K miles. I've not had that issue. I would look for other causes than the pad material though such as resting your foot on the brake lever, the position of which is adjustable, or crud on the brake caliper cylinder sidewall which might prevent it from retracting fully. Check to see if the rear wheel is freewheeling without resistance after applying rear brakes. The stock pads are semi metallic and common across most new bikes. I normally get 25,000 km or more out of my front pads and have yet to need to replace rear pads.

I'm on my second Versys with no issues to report. One thing to be aware of though, as with any bike that does not have a kickstand, is you will need to purchase spools and a rear pit stand for cleaning and maintenance.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-09-2016 at 04:49 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
my "stainless steel" muffler "rusted" within 3 months. wtf...
http://s31.postimg.org/q43ofbsuh/DSC_1653.jpg

bad batch I guess.
They obviously forgot to add the "stainless" ingredient. Bad chef!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I think that may be due to using oil incompatible with the tempature. It's an oil immersed clutch.

As for rear brake pads wearing out at 12K miles. I've not had that issue. I would look for other causes than the pad material though such as resting your foot on the brake lever, the position of which is adjustable, or crud on the brake caliper cylinder sidewall which might prevent it from retracting fully. Check to see if the rear wheel is freewheeling without resistance after applying rear brakes. The stock pads are semi metallic and common across most new bikes. I normally get 25,000 km or more out of my front pads and have yet to need to replace rear pads.

I'm on my second Versys with no issues to report. One thing to be aware of though, as with any bike that does not have a kickstand, is you will need to purchase spools and a rear pit stand for cleaning and maintenance.
I had front pads and rotors shot by 13k miles on my 1000. Probably the same supplier. New rotors replaced UW have gone 16k miles with no issue at this point, but pads were replaced again at 26k. Rear pads replaced at 20k miles. Oddly, I use the rear a lot more.
Replaced both ends with EBC HH. Yet to be seen how they hold up.
onewizard likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
They obviously forgot to add the "stainless" ingredient. Bad chef!
Hey, leave me outa this!
saddlebag likes this.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think that may be due to using oil incompatible with the tempature. It's an oil immersed clutch....
The issue was w/ his cable.

Quote:
...As for rear brake pads wearing out at 12K miles. I've not had that issue. I would look for other causes than the pad material though such as resting your foot on the brake lever, the position of which is adjustable, or crud on the brake caliper cylinder sidewall which might prevent it from retracting fully. Check to see if the rear wheel is freewheeling without resistance after applying rear brakes. The stock pads are semi metallic and common across most new bikes. I normally get 25,000 km or more out of my front pads and have yet to need to replace rear pads....
As I mentioned - on my '08 I have yet to replace the OEM rear pads (NOW at 67,xxx miles!), so it would appear that I'm NOT doing anything differently to account for the early wear.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo64 View Post
I highly recommend replacing your cable operated clutch with a Magura hydraulic clutch system. It includes everything you need to convert your cable operated clutch to a hydraulic clutch for about $200. The clutch is much lighter operating and the feel is improved. I replaced mine 8,000 miles ago and have not had to do any adjustments or maintenance to my clutch. Here is a link with detailed information:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1213073
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode