Pannier options for Mk 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Pannier options for Mk 3

Hey folks, I've getting the Road Trip bug and I'm investigating panniers for my Mk3 Versys.
I had a chat with a local dealer who quoted me $1400 for the OEM's. Sweet as they are it seems pricey for some luggage ... I could buy some Louis Vitton for the wife and have change for a latte.
So what other options are out there? What does your ride sport?
Soft or hard cases, I don't mind ...

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Givi V56&Trekker 33 liter side

Givi Trekker Monokey Luggage Case Silver/Black (pair) - 33 liters/case - TwistedThrottle.ca

I love the side cases, they open two ways, top and suitcase style.Comparing to OEM, I can get stuff in that you can't on OEM, due to the irregular shape of OEM. If it is colour, paint the Givi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Givi Treker 33 liter.jpg (31.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160603_130017710_HDR.jpg (37.7 KB, 147 views)
Tomasama likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Take a look at Mosko Moto soft luggage. They are a newer company that has some very nice stuff at reasonable prices. You will have to purchase side racks from whoever you wish. Their pannier systems fit on most all side racks.
Mosko Moto | Mosko Moto Store
Tomasama likes this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hard luggage for the Versys isn't cheap. I bought a 2015 LT so it already had the side bags and then I added the OEM top case (top case with rack, color panels, and key set cost around $800). Kawasaki says the side cases (no extra mounting hardware required) cost around $750. The OEM stuff is all manufactured for Kawasaki by Givi.

Having used the "styled" OEM sidebags for a few months I think I would opt for the type that One Wizard is showing. The styled ones are a bit odd to use unless you have the factory liners (I bought them also). The liners are an additional charge (around $90). The OEM top case is GREAT as is.
Tomasama likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Hard luggage for the Versys isn't cheap. I bought a 2015 LT so it already had the side bags and then I added the OEM top case (top case with rack, color panels, and key set cost around $800). Kawasaki says the side cases (no extra mounting hardware required) cost around $750. The OEM stuff is all manufactured for Kawasaki by Givi.

Having used the "styled" OEM sidebags for a few months I think I would opt for the type that One Wizard is showing. The styled ones are a bit odd to use unless you have the factory liners (I bought them also). The liners are an additional charge (around $90). The OEM top case is GREAT as is.
Agreed. Having used the V35s on my Mk1 I am not a fan of them. I would rather have something that I can use 100% of the space.
Tomasama likes this.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:51 AM

Garage
I ordered my rack and luggage from motostorm.it and saved hundreds of dollars. These are the Outback Trekkers. It might take a couple weeks to get your shipment, but the shipping cost is inexpensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160614_084845705_HDR.jpg (448.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160614_084855415_HDR.jpg (459.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160614_084904394_HDR.jpg (473.4 KB, 157 views)
onewizard, Tomasama and Duffy like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I put TUSK aluminum panniers onto BOTH my '08 and '09, but bought the '15 650LT, so it came w/ bags. As onewizard said - they AREN'T great, but I was able to ride to Alaska w/ them this summer, 19 days, 8,700kms. I much PREFER the TUSKs...!

onewizard, AlaskaJeff and Tomasama like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsbug View Post
I ordered my rack and luggage from motostorm.it and saved hundreds of dollars. These are the Outback Trekkers. It might take a couple weeks to get your shipment, but the shipping cost is inexpensive.
+1 on motostorm from Italy. I bought my Givi top case set-up from it, and also saved a bundle of dough. Shipping was seriously quick considering it was coming across the Atlantic, too.
Tomasama likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:41 PM

Garage
Depending on your needs, Pelicans are an option. They're cheap, sturdy, and there's more space in them than you might think.

Not too bad on the Mk3...

I just bolted them straight to SWMotec quick release racks. They pop off if I don't want them on the bike.

Really love the Caribou liners too...

Liners, Bags and Racks all in and done for a tad under $500

But then, I'm a cheap bastard, and to me cheap is sexy!
onewizard, Tomasama and uparmorjoe like this.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tool Tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
Depending on your needs, Pelicans are an option. They're cheap, sturdy, and there's more space in them than you might think.

Not too bad on the Mk3...

I just bolted them straight to SWMotec quick release racks. They pop off if I don't want them on the bike.

Really love the Caribou liners too...

Liners, Bags and Racks all in and done for a tad under $500

But then, I'm a cheap bastard, and to me cheap is sexy!
Where did you get the tool tubes and were the mounts included?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 10:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Where did you get the tool tubes and were the mounts included?
About $5 a piece from Agri Supply.. if not one near by, online from their website with shipping is less than $20 I think.
Just mounted them to the boxes with the tabs and holes molded into the tubes...

Manual Canister, Manual Holders, Tool Tube | Agri Supply, 67670
onewizard likes this.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
What size cases did you get?

2005 Ninja 250
Soon to come... 2015 Versys 650...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker92 View Post
What size cases did you get?
42L topcase and 37L side cases.

I think the larger side cases would be too big. The larger topcase might be nice if you ride 2up because it would hold 2 helmets, but I am happy with the 42L topcase.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
42L topcase and 37L side cases.

I think the larger side cases would be too big. The larger topcase might be nice if you ride 2up because it would hold 2 helmets, but I am happy with the 42L topcase.
Excellent thanks.

2005 Ninja 250
Soon to come... 2015 Versys 650...
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
About $5 a piece from Agri Supply.. if not one near by, online from their website with shipping is less than $20 I think.
Just mounted them to the boxes with the tabs and holes molded into the tubes...

Manual Canister, Manual Holders, Tool Tube | Agri Supply, 67670
Those manual canisters must be so useful!
I've had a look around for some but (I'm in Australia) postage is nuts! $6 canister, $30 postage.

Any ideas on alternatives? It's such a good idea.

My motovlog

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
Those manual canisters must be so useful!
I've had a look around for some but (I'm in Australia) postage is nuts! $6 canister, $30 postage.

Any ideas on alternatives? It's such a good idea.
Don't you have any "tractor" shops there?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Don't you have any "tractor" shops there?

Tractor shops, trucking shops, heavy equipment shops, fork lift shops, and the list goes on and on. Most of those places should have "manual" storage tubes.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Tractor shops, trucking shops, heavy equipment shops, fork lift shops, and the list goes on and on. Most of those places should have "manual" storage tubes.
Tractor Shop sounds very colloquial

But you're right! I'll have to search around the camping/outdoors stores and see what they got.

Failing that i'll whip something up with some PVC piping.

My motovlog

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
Hey folks, I've getting the Road Trip bug and I'm investigating panniers for my Mk3 Versys.
I had a chat with a local dealer who quoted me $1400 for the OEM's. Sweet as they are it seems pricey for some luggage ... I could buy some Louis Vitton for the wife and have change for a latte.
So what other options are out there? What does your ride sport?
Soft or hard cases, I don't mind ...
The retail price for OEM panniers in the US is about $900. That is for color matched, same key cases. The problem with buying non-OEM cases is that by the time you buy racks, the price is about the same if not more than OEM. The OEM cases do not require racks.

I personally like the OEM cases because they are so well tucked into the bike. Any other cases make the bike really wide which makes lane splitting more difficult and scary. I do not like the fact that the OEM cases have a large cutout that makes it difficult to get large items into the side cases. My helmet fits fine, though.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
The retail price for OEM panniers in the US is about $900. That is for color matched, same key cases. The problem with buying non-OEM cases is that by the time you buy racks, the price is about the same if not more than OEM. The OEM cases do not require racks.

I personally like the OEM cases because they are so well tucked into the bike. Any other cases make the bike really wide which makes lane splitting more difficult and scary. I do not like the fact that the OEM cases have a large cutout that makes it difficult to get large items into the side cases. My helmet fits fine, though.
I agree! I ended up buying some beat up second hand OEM's for about $150 AUD. I had to spend some time fixing them up but now they work perfectly!
The cutout is a bit weird and unnecessary, it's like those tail-fins on old chev's. I get that it adds " style" but would be more acceptable if it wasn't so pronounced.
The big draw for me to the OEM is how they just clip on to the frame. It's so streamline.
Now to sort out the manual canisters...

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode