topcase rack setup Givi vs SW-MOTEC - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
topcase rack setup Givi vs SW-MOTEC

I'm going to get my racks set up for the case's that i will be ordeing. I i'm going with the SW-MOTEC for the side racks because i had them on my KLR and was very happy with them... Now i'm not sure what top rack setup i should get .... the Givi or the SW-MOTEC .... which one is the better rack???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Can't say which is better, as I only have experience with the SWMotech. I can say that price, installation and function of the SWMotech is great. Good luck with your choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 PM

IMHO, if you're going with the Motech side racks, get the Motech top rack as well.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM

If you get the Givi toprack, take the time to glue the rubber bushings, (which the case rests on), into their holes. I lost two of mine, and have substituted rubber bushings since. BTW: My one complaint with the SW Motech side racks is that I can't get the key into the seat release without removing the left side case.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 PM

MN_Smurf is on the money
you can have givi or SW motech but not a mix
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 PM

I would go with the SW-Motech toprack. I have one on my Versys, and it is an exceptionally strong and well made piece of kit. I had the Givi on my BMW K1200, and it was not nearly so confidence inspiring (side arms levered around a bolt). The Givi Versys setup looks similar to their BMW setup. -- Hank.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
BTW: My one complaint with the SW Motech side racks is that I can't get the key into the seat release without removing the left side case.
????

I have the Motech Quick-release side racks and I can get my key into the seat release just fine.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 AM

I have the SW Motech. I've had them on two other bikes. The Givi is sturdy but is job specific and looks ugly when no box is mounted. The SW looks fine on it's own plus you can easily modify it for your own purpose. I drilled and tapped mine to mount a plate to support a soft bag when my Givi E-52 was not needed. Plus, the SW grab rails are way stiffer than those flexi stock ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode