Need new topcase bracket for 2009 V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need new topcase bracket for 2009 V

I would love some advice, or just a point in the right direction. I had a Givi bracket installed, and a V47 top case sat on that until the bracket broke into pieces and damaged my subframe (see attached pic). This probably had something to do with overloading the top case and the awful terrain of these mean NYC streets.

Anyway, before I have the subframe fixed (if that's even possible) I'd like to figure out a new top case bracket system. I still have my Givi V47 case, but I'm not married to it.

Do I have any more sturdy options other than the standard Givi bracket?

Much thanks,
Kon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subframe01.jpg (40.5 KB, 54 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:39 AM

Garage
If the strongest point in the system (subframe) was damaged like that, I'm not sure what you could do to keep that from happening again. Any top rack frame is going to do the same thing as long as you keep the same load on the system. The frame has a breaking point, which you exceeded. So if you want to keep loading the system the same way, you'll have to figure out a way to make the subframe stronger.

IMHO you need to spread the load out. Add some side bags? I know that is not the answer you might be looking for. I used to just have a top rack and didn't want the bulk of side bags. Now I have side bags and no top case and I have to say that I like it better.

Keep us posted if you are able to get the frame repaired.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That can be repaired and strengthened but as you realize you need to limit the weight in the top box. My 2015 LT has a sub frame designed for a 47 liter top box but the box limits the weight to 11 lbs......... that doesn't allow for much "cargo". I plan on using it for my excess riding gear (rain suit, extra gloves, extra jack, etc.), you know, the lighter stuff.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
That can be repaired and strengthened but as you realize you need to limit the weight in the top box. My 2015 LT has a sub frame designed for a 47 liter top box but the box limits the weight to 11 lbs......... that doesn't allow for much "cargo". I plan on using it for my excess riding gear (rain suit, extra gloves, extra jack, etc.), you know, the lighter stuff.
How would I have that strengthened? I suppose a good mechanic could do that, I'm no welder myself. I could deal with carrying a lighter load in there, but the Givi bracket felt like a piece of junk. Is there a better one?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
From what I can tell from the pic it is a piece of light sheet metal channel with a capture nuts on the bottom attached to some tubing which I guess is the sub-frame. I would make a new piece out of heavier metal (1" .120 channel steel would be my choice), a bit of cutting for shape and welded up at the corners for strength. Add capture nuts to the bottom. Re-attach to the tubing and paint. Sounds kind of simple but would require multiple "fittings" to get the angles right. Taken to a fab shop I would think they could whip up something in less than 2 hours.

I don't know what a Gen 1 uses for a rack (I have a 15' LT) but Givi has a pretty good reputation. I understand they make the rack and top box for the 2015-2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2009, givi, luggage, top case, topcase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode