Routing ideas for southern Tx on to Grand Canyon - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Routing ideas for southern Tx on to Grand Canyon

I am going next week from Kansas City down to Shreveport to visit my little brother. I am planning on turning left and heading along the gulf tp Pensacola and then up the BRP for an 8 day jaunt. But, those areas along the BRP have been getting a bit nippy at night and I am camping. So I am thinking of having a back up "turn right" plan instead and heading across southern Texas (never been south of Dallas) and on over the Grand Canyon (never been there either) before heading home. Any must sees or must avoids across southern Texas and over to the GC. I'd back roads it back home across northern Texas and up through Ok and Ks. That is part of a trip I've planned out previously but haven't embarked on yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

I'm assuming you're thinking of heading across IH10?

If so, you'll hit smack dab in the middle of the Hill Country, and a lot of great riding. Just west of San Antonio. Ares to avoid? I'd say avoid Houston like the plague. Traffic is ALWAYS bad.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

I actually haven't thought of any kind of a route yet just that shivering my butt off at night will suck a lot of fun out of the trip. The only important stop is Shreveport to visit my brother before he ships back out again. I will check out IH10 though. I avoid any city like the plague. My preference is to encounter gas stations just before I run out of gas and not much else although that rarely happens.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

I hear ya!! Running out of gas is a bad thing....

I haven't spent much time in east Tx, but once you get near San Antonio, if you come this way, anything west of 281 and along IH10 is nice. There are a lot of good roads to be ridden, for Texas anyway.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Take a look at turning north in New Mexico toward the 4 Corners area and Monument Valley, and tackling the Canyon from the north. (I expect to be riding up there in early November, including, I HOPE, the North Rim.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Arizona can also get a little "nippy" at night.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I'd say avoid Houston like the plague. Traffic is ALWAYS bad.
Oh come on now Bear, until you've ridden a Houston Freeway and threaded the needle between the center concrete barrier and an 18 wheeler, you ain't done SH1T!

Last edited by Tex Vs; 10-03-2010 at 05:17 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
Oh come on now Bear, until you've ridden a Houston Freeway and threaded the needle between the center concrete barrier and an 18 wheeler, you ain't done SH1T!

I agree!! Hahaha!! I would SOOO do it, but I've come to realize MOST members on this board are quite a bit more level headed than me!!!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Plan A is still to go east and see the Great Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway. Just kind of depends on where it will be coldest and who is predicting rain. Looks like the Grand Canyon area has been getting a lot of rain lately but that can change in a week for sure. I've got a route planned either direction. If I go west, I'm hitting Big Bend Park and then trying to make the Grand Canyon in 2 days ride and spend a day off long miles riding there to see the park. Then hoping to make back to Kansas City in 2 days but that will be a couple 600 mile days. Don't know about that. My butt has a lot more in common with butter than iron.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 PM

At this point, the regional forecast for plan A looks pretty good; skies should be clear, with highs in the low-to-mid 70s, and lows will be in the mid to upper 40s, depending on your elevation. If you can work with that, the next two weeks are the absolute best times to ride the BRP, in terms of scenery. There will be a fair bit of traffic, but you won't want to be in too much of a hurry anyway.

If you do head west: coming from Shreveport, you could look at heading down towards College Station / Austin, and going across the Hill Country from there. You avoid IH10 around Houston, and IH20 through Midland / Odessa. Once you reach NM and AZ, temperature is going to almost totally depend on altitude; the trade-off is comfort vs. views.

Either way, it sounds like you have a great trip lined up. Enjoy, and Ride Safe!

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the inside info on the regional forecast. That is my hope. I admit--I'm a closet leaf peaker. I'd prefer to hold off on the plan B because that is actually part of a grand 6500 mile trip I've planned for my 50th that will take me though most every state west of the Mississippi flyway. Hoping to swing through the southeast this fall, mostly just to take the scenic route home from visiting my brother and check out the post oil spill gulf. In the spring, I am making a "loonatic" run up north to camp and listen to loons call at Voyageur National Park. At least my wife thinks I'm a lunatic to ride my bike 3,000 miles to listen to a bird. Come to think of it, she well may be right. Nearly always is.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm done with my last night night of work so I am going off grid. I'll fill you all in on what happens when I get back at the end of October. Thanks for the advice.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Take a look at turning north in New Mexico toward the 4 Corners area and Monument Valley, and tackling the Canyon from the north. (I expect to be riding up there in early November, including, I HOPE, the North Rim.)
The North Rim closes pretty darn soon....The lodge there may already be closed or about to.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I can view and post here from my phone. I guess you all get to go along with me. I'm not leaving until Thusday. I have to get the horses settled in to be ok while I'm gone and do maintenace first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode