the 600 service ??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
the 600 service ???

Hello all I would like to get some feedback on the first service that the dealers claim , must be done at the dealership??.. This is bike #6 for me and i find it hard to belive that the dealers do anything other than change the oil and rip you off with a crazy first time service fee.... So what do you think????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM

I agree, absolutely. But I didn't wait for 600 miles, first oil change at 275, second with filter at 600, and again at 1200. Keep reciepts and filter box stub. Next change will be to full synthetic. Bike is breaking in nicely.

If you know how to lube chain and check tension, clutch cable play, idle speed, throttle cable play, and stem bearing play, then yes, DIY. Otherwise take it in and have them go over the bike for you. Pre-delivery inspection is not always up to snuff, stuff doesn't get adjusted properly in many cases.

If you're going to DIY go thru the shop manual. It's not brain surgery.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
If you know how to lube chain and check tension, clutch cable play, idle speed, throttle cable play, and stem bearing play, then yes, DIY. Otherwise take it in and have them go over the bike for you. Pre-delivery inspection is not always up to snuff, stuff doesn't get adjusted properly in many cases.

If the Dealer didn't do the Pre-delivery inspection properly, why should we believe they'd do the 600 mile service any better?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
If the Dealer didn't do the Pre-delivery inspection properly, why should we believe they'd do the 600 mile service any better?
AH HA! My thought exactly. Anyway, I did my first oil/filter change this week at 500 miles. This bike is so easy to do. 10 mins. easy.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 PM

One thing to think of when doing the first oil change is that the factory oil is a non-detergent based oil which aids for proper break-in, ring seating, bearing mating ect.. I would caution going to full synthetic until the 3rd oil change just based on my previous experience and mechanical background. I'm sure this subject can and has been debated so this is "just for what its worth". As for dealer service that is a sells pitch but not required just keep a log and receipts of service. Don't forget the valve lash adjustment (which I would bet to be fine) but is the main thing to check in the engine service.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:28 PM

rip off
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 03:09 PM

kinda depends on the dealer and specifically the tech doing the service.

the dealer said they wanted to do the 1st service if possible. i said sure no problem. when the time came they were crazy booked and they couldnt get me in when i could make it over. they said no biggie, its not rocket science you can do it yourself if you want to and he detailed out what they look for on new bikes. it was only gonna be 30 bucks in the first place so i was like six of one - half dozen of another with the whole thing. the local dealer guys are totaly cool by me, plus these bikes are so simple is kind of amazing.

now oil changes on the strato - thats a different story
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Telling you they HAVE to do it is a lie, or misinformation if you want to be nice. Like others have said, do the oil change yourself, keep the receipts, document it in your owners manual, in the back. You'll be fine. They can't void the warranty if you do the work, as long as you can prove you did the work. There are a few threads about it with links to the law about this.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 PM

My dealer wanted over $200 for the first service. I said, for WHAT? To change the oil, check the chain tension, and look it over? Oh no, full safety check blah blah blah. I think it just gives them a BAD name. Oh, and when I called to ask about it, they said, Oh do you need anything else like a new tire? I said...new tire at 600 miles? Oh, she said, some folks like to keep their tires really sticky. YIKES! Worse than my HONDA car dealer!!! GEJUZ... I bought a service manual and I'll take care of it until 15,000 miles or so when I consider having them sanity check my maintenance work...or not!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
My dealer wanted over $200 for the first service. I said, for WHAT?

and mine wanted $30. just to reiterate, there not all evil empires. it comes down to the individuals thenselves and how they handle it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM

They are still businesses in the end.... If I knew then what I know now etc, I would have saved the money from the first few "services" and done them in the garage and bought a bottle of scotch with the difference.

Next V will be different...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
My dealer wanted over $200 for the first service. I said, for WHAT? To change the oil, check the chain tension, and look it over? Oh no, full safety check blah blah blah. I think it just gives them a BAD name. Oh, and when I called to ask about it, they said, Oh do you need anything else like a new tire? I said...new tire at 600 miles? Oh, she said, some folks like to keep their tires really sticky. YIKES! Worse than my HONDA car dealer!!! GEJUZ... I bought a service manual and I'll take care of it until 15,000 miles or so when I consider having them sanity check my maintenance work...or not!
I had a very similar experience with my dealer. But I think it was the service writer. He was a real pain in the ass. Everything that I complained about was "normal" and absolutely nothing was under warranty.

I just went back to the dealer yesterday to see about fixing my mode button under warranty. Well there was a different service writer and what a difference it made. "yes, we can take care of that for you and yes of course it is under warranty" I couldn't believe my ears. No excuses, no buts, no nothing. He told me he will have to order the part and when it comes in I can bring the bike in for the warranty service. I left feeling good about my dealer for a change.

Just in time too...with only 8 days remaining on my warranty.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post

I just went back to the dealer yesterday to see about fixing my mode button under warranty. ... "yes, we can take care of that for you and yes of course it is under warranty" ... He told me he will have to order the part and when it comes in I can bring the bike in for the warranty service.
FWIW, Iíve seen some posts where the dealer fixed a problem with the mode button by replacing the whole instrument cluster ó which means a new odometer reading of 00000.

If that matters to you... Iíve seen other posts in here where folks have fixed the mode button (which wouldnít change modes) by simply taking things apart & cleaning it (and perhaps if you told the dealer this he might be willing to do just that).

Good luck

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks hardware. I'll ask my dealer about that when I talk to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode