bluetooth/earbuds while riding? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bluetooth/earbuds while riding?

For those of you who do not use a bluetooth enabled helmet, do you use specific types of ear buds (bluetooth) to listen to music/gps instructions/calls from your phone when riding?

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Had not used bluetooth as the need to charge it up.

Using Nokia's E72 handphone with serves as a mp3, gps and able to hear calls when riding. Using Nokia's stereo headset controller allows music track/volume changes on the go.

Had opt to answer call when make stops or urgent calls come in. The caller ID will be spoken in the headphones/earphones so I know who's calling.

The E72 has also a bluetooth headphone.
http://www.nokia.com.my/find-product...headset-bh-103

The earphones are Sony. They fit in snugly in the ear hole which gives surround sound and also won't fall off. Volume is not loud so I am also aware of my traffic surroundings. It's basically substituting one noise with another. Difference is music is more fun.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 AM

I use iPhone 4 for GPS and music with these earbuds.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0...co=MTM3NTM2ODY

Work great as both earplugs and great sound. Microphone works OK at slow speeds. And cheap.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

@Martin, I am looking into getting iPhone3Gs SO your solution should work for me too. Do you by any chance know where to get iPhones in US without contracts?

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I have a Blueant F4 Interphone on my helmet. I bought two headsets so I can swap it between my two helemts. Works great for making calls and getting driving directions. Also you can stream music but its a little tinny better than wind noise though.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM

Bluetooth is great until you're out of battery. Since I camp and don't always have power I use earbuds from my zumo. Tunes and turn-by-turn directions (if on a route). I have Shure sound attenuating speakers that are low profile so they stay in when I put on my helmet and do a very good job of cutting out wind noise. They were recommended to me by a friend on the ST board who is a professional musician (clarinet for an operatic orchestra) and I thank him every chance I get. They come with a large collection of ear fitments so you can customize for comfort and you can buy replacement fitments individually. The difference in sound quality between $20 ear buds and studio grade ear speakers is huge, but so is the price. I got mine on close-out a couple years ago for about $150 and you can spend $500 if you care to. The best sounding cheap ear buds I've come across are Skull Candy Ink'd and I still carry them as spares, but they are not studio grade. All depends what matters to you.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 09-30-2010 at 02:59 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
FYI the Blueant headset battery last me a weeks worth of commuting and riding. The device its connected to runs out of power long before the BlueAnt does. Actually have no idea how long it lasts because its never run out on me...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM

as a musician i wear ultimate ears triple-fi's on stage. tried them in my helmet and they rock. not cheap, however.

they do sell phone headset type units with a mic. don't know how they work, but i'm sure the sound quality and isolation is just as good as my more specific phones.

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 PM

I use Jaybird bluetooth stereo headset. It has a wire between the sides rather than the stiff behind the head piece of some of the other stereo headsets. I love mine. I can listen to music for about 8 hours before charging. The are also a phone device but don't have the noise reduction necessary for using while riding (they aren't motorcycle specific) but I don't take or place calls without stopping anyway. It is nice to know if someone calls and then I can pull over and listen to the voice mail and decide whether or not to call. They fit nicely under both my 3/4 and full face modular helmuts.

A couple things to consider--if you go with bluetooth and want stereo, your transmitting device must be able to push A2DP--many phones do not. My LG and my Droid both do and they work nicely. I've heard I-phones do not but I don't have one and don't know for sure. As fas as charging and camping without electricity access, I bought a $13 12 volt powerport that I plug into my pigtail where my battery tender goes. I can charge my phone while motoring down the road. The Jaybirds must be stationary to charge because of their little docking system--will jostle out from the vibration but I can keep everything powered without electricity just by stealing a bit of juice from my bike. The draw isn't enough to make a difference and I didn't have to install anything on my bike other than the battery tender port which I already had there.

I highly recommend the Jaybirds. They stay put in your ears very well. I even use them on horseback rides and have never had them come out.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Check the laws in the state(s) you will be riding in. Many do not allow the wearing of ear buds or any other device that inserts into the ear and introduces sound. Ear plugs are generally okay. In helmet speakers are also okay.

Washington is one of the "no ear buds" states. Not sure what the rest of the list is.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your feedback guys.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM

I use some skullcandy ones that work fairly well but I had to modify the plugs and they hurt like hell to take off. So I'm still in the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode