I learned something new! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I learned something new!

You can in fact wheelie this bike something fierce! The girl I've been seeing showed me on her first try riding!

Thankfully she was ok and did the standard new driver gun it and pop the clutch so she didn't go very far.

On the unfortunate side she busted off a foot peg, for the record speedys lowering kit is strong than the bikes native bracket. She also bent the brake pedal up and the handle bars.

It was a bit of fun getting it the 1km home with only one peg on my gravel driveway but it was interesting. I think she was surprised I wasn't mad and freaking out, but I mean, that's why I bought this bike, cause I knew it was going to be crashed.

As it is I now have a winter project to go on top of my other projects for this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbox View Post
You can in fact wheelie this bike something fierce! The girl I've been seeing showed me on her first try riding!

Thankfully she was ok and did the standard new driver gun it and pop the clutch so she didn't go very far.

On the unfortunate side she busted off a foot peg, for the record speedys lowering kit is strong than the bikes native bracket. She also bent the brake pedal up and the handle bars.

It was a bit of fun getting it the 1km home with only one peg on my gravel driveway but it was interesting. I think she was surprised I wasn't mad and freaking out, but I mean, that's why I bought this bike, cause I knew it was going to be crashed.

As it is I now have a winter project to go on top of my other projects for this bike.

Winter project, order parts and be riding by the weekend!!!

This is some of the best weather to ride in.

Todd
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 PM

Hey, even with the 44T I took off real hard at an intersection out in the sticks and the front end surprisingly came straight up, I just held the throttle open pulled in the clutch and hit second gear wheeling across the intersection, it was awesome!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Glad she's alright. That's a pretty classic move for a first timer. happened to a girl I was teaching to ride when I was about 15. After that I started teaching people how to stop the bike before riding the bike and have been successful every time. I will look for a slope and have them cost and break a bunch before we ever get to starting the bike. Have to really drill in to them the braking and stopping of the motorcycle. before the take off.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
Have to really drill in to them the braking and stopping of the motorcycle. before the take off.
that and clutch control. this can also be taught with the motor off, then reinforced with the motor idling. of course, some of us should not be teaching.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kevrider; 09-29-2010 at 12:09 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I think she was surprised I wasn't mad and freaking out, but I mean, that's why I bought this bike, cause I knew it was going to be crashed.
If anything you should be mad at yourself. Heres what you do, put your open hand out in front of your face so you can see your palm. Now rapidly move the ball of your wrist to contact your forehead and say DOPE, That was Stupid of me! Then repeat as necessary.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 PM

A statistic I picked up in a book. People that learn to ride from a friend are more likely to take a fall or crash within the first year of riding than a person that takes a course from a professional instructor. Do your friend a favor and send her to a formal training class.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Glad your girl okay and you have a great attitude to the whole thing
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Glad your girl okay and you have a great attitude to the whole thing

x2, hope that didnt turn her off to the whole thing
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
A statistic I picked up in a book. People that learn to ride from a friend are more likely to take a fall or crash within the first year of riding than a person that takes a course from a professional instructor. Do your friend a favor and send her to a formal training class.

Oh this was in no way a formal instruction or anything, it was merely a "Do you want to try it?" at the time spur of the moment thing. And when you've been doing something for long enough you forget that what seems to be so simple isn't necessarily. Way I figure it is she still wants to learn so I'll find her some training courses for the spring and she'll be a bit more aware of how things can go wrong, and I'm more aware that I am a lousy teacher. A few hundred dollars in repairs teaches me a lesson in hubris as well.

Plus it's damned cold up here in Northern Alberta already, though I probably could get out if I got my ass in the saddle and got parts.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildhauer View Post
x2, hope that didnt turn her off to the whole thing
Nope, she's still interested. But definitely need a better teacher than me.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Nope, she's still interested. But definitely need a better teacher than me.
glad to hear - you never know how things like that will pan out
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Well considering she stuck around a couple weeks ago when my father was killed and all that mess for the entire weekend and helped out I think that treating her like she's awesome is the least I can do.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Well considering she stuck around a couple weeks ago when my father was killed and all that mess for the entire weekend and helped out I think that treating her like she's awesome is the least I can do.
sheesh very sorry for your loss -

yea, she's beyond awesomeness for sure
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

She definitely is. My father wasn't a good person so I'm not exactly heartbroken about that. There are some serious legal issues happening in my family because of it that I can't talk about but mourning isn't really an issue.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
She definitely is. My father wasn't a good person so I'm not exactly heartbroken about that. There are some serious legal issues happening in my family because of it that I can't talk about but mourning isn't really an issue.

well, wow. - i guess like the thread says "i learned something new today"

hope everything turns out right for you
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Sorry for your loss and hope things can get back to normal for you soon!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Sounds to me like you found a keeper girl there for sure.

Sorry for the loss of your dad.

The broken peg stay is a 5 minute order online and about 10 minutes to swap out with the old one. Been there, done that. Just be sure that the various springs and whatnot are still hanging around and didn't drop off. It blows to order all the parts and then find out that the return spring for the brake lever has gone AWOL and then having to pay shipping on a $1 spring.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Makes total sense. The actual bracket on the cast aluminum piece is what broke for the foot peg and it looks like I need to replace the entire piece rather than just the stay but I'll do some poking around.

She is pretty cool, I will say that yeah. I've been enjoying being single so it's the worst possible time to meet an awesome chick.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I've been enjoying being single so it's the worst possible time to meet an awesome chick.

lol ! wha? when is it the worst time to meet an awesome chick ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode