Front end up? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front end up?

Anyone been brave enough to get the front end up on this baby yet? I'm tempted to give it a try, but am a little shy to do so yet. If so, care to elaborate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:08 PM

I've done it without trying to. I did not raise it very high but I was on one wheel. I was surprised how easy it is to lift.

RezRider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 AM

Going up...

I got my Versus up twice - once coming away from a traffic light (unintentional, low lift) and once transitioning from a main street to a side street (intentional, medium lift). The low lift experience was unexpected by felt very natural; however, the medium lift experience, while it was deliberate, bothered me some, primarily because of the harsh feel when the front wheel returned to the ground. My wheeling practice is limited to dirt bikes, and usually felt smoother. Itís probably just my lack of familiarity with a street bike that makes it seem so different.

Last edited by Chris; 04-08-2008 at 12:19 AM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:36 AM

I feel you on the low ones

Thanks for that info about coming down form a mid height lift off. I agree, it felt very natural to get a few inches off the ground. I have very little experience on one wheel so I think I'll keep to low after your comment.

RezRider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

This thing wheelies very easy. I love it. The only bad thing is the rough landing. Of course, stiffer springs in the front would help. It wheelies as easy as my DRZ did...

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 01:09 AM

I have had the front wheel off the ground a few times. I would agree that anything up a bit is a hard landing. I used to wheelie my DR650 through a couple of gears and would get the nose up pretty high. I haven't gotten that comfortable on my Versys yet, and it certainly seems a bit rougher on the landing. Off the line though it feels pretty natural.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:36 PM

I am not a wheelie master nor a daredevil. Pull back a little and give the throttle a whack. I agree with the other comments It lands hard. I haven't tried to do it again since the first day.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 PM

On my test ride on Friday I wheelied it just a bit from a stop light. Just a 1st gear power wheelie, no lifting on the bars or trying. Caught me a bit by surprise, but I eased off and put it down without issue (only a smile on my face)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

2nd gear is 'dial a wheelie' gear. By the way, where did you get a test ride?

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 PM

Razee's in North Kingstown RI. From all I've heard a great dealership. We'll see as I plan to go there for major services. Price was only a few hundred off of MSRP though, they have 4 in stock (3 now ) and weren't willing to deal much at all. They said the bike is moving too well for them to deal, but I haven't seen any around. No freight, setup or doc fees though, just tax & reg.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 AM

The versys is a blast to wheelie. With my power commander and TBR pipe the front end comes up really easy in 2nd gear. Check out my videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jAux_Xd-xk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92c1BSaRgO8

Last edited by versysrider; 04-25-2008 at 10:55 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:36 AM

Ye i pulled one an hour after i picked up bike, sat at crossroads at traffic lights let out clutch to quick next thing the clocks are at eye level thought i was going to flip over got front back down then wobbled around legs out tryin to stay upright, scared the **** out of me , know i have more respect for it and pull away more carefully
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 PM

wheelies=fun. and fun=bad. i have become addicted to wheelies they are a riot, though i still try to be nice to the bike, but 1st gear is easy... 4000 rpm and half throttle, then get scared, let go, and come crashing down. i think a 2nd gear would be alot smoother but havent figured out the sweet spot there without usuing the clutch. i think im too novice to be clutching it haha. i agree with the hard landing, but like i said, i let off a bit too quick do to a sudden rush of "oh sh*t!" , i actually slid into the tank pretty hard last time i tried and crushed my boys, had to stop and get off. oh well, ill refine it, tips and advice is welcome haha
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by renagrade98 View Post
Ye i pulled one an hour after i picked up bike, sat at crossroads at traffic lights let out clutch to quick next thing the clocks are at eye level thought i was going to flip over got front back down then wobbled around legs out tryin to stay upright, scared the **** out of me , know i have more respect for it and pull away more carefully
I envy you. I had put almost 800 miles on my Versys when something similar happened to me. In my case, I had stopped on a hill because of traffic. The surface was a little slick and things went badly on the take off. I didn't flip, but I did drag the tail.... The landing wasn't pretty either. Perhaps things would have went better if I'd managed to stay on the bike!

Being on a hill and getting surprised like that is NO FUN. Live and learn... I'm hoping to have the bike pretty again this week.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM

I have gotten the front up a few inches and it was by accident.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:17 AM

I'm certainly no wheelie master, but I've had it up a bunch of times, just shorty wheelies...till I get better. It doesn't come up as easy at this altitude, about 7k ft. It even comes up pretty easy in Denver in first, amazing as the difference is only about 1500 ft.!!! I've also done a few dinky rolling stoppies, working on those too!!
BTW, nice wheelies, versysrider!!!

Last edited by Motodevil; 05-22-2008 at 01:57 PM.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 AM

The secret of a controlled wheelie is the rear brake. If hit the rear brake...the wheel comes down. So...drag the rear brake a tiny bit against the wheelie...instant control.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 AM

i knew that the rear brake is there for a reason! hahha no good idea if you keep your foot on it just a little, you can control height constsntly....never thought of that for some reason......like them, im no master, in fact i usually get racked in the boys every time now, better start with a honda 90 again haha
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Tried the rear brake thing when I learned to wheelie my YZF, I fully suck at it, I learned to control it the best with the throttle. Yesterday my friend and I went out for a while and I finally got some nice stand up wheelies in (my preferred method). Also got in some fair rolling stoppies, and chicken strips nearly gone,I am finally getting used to this bike, hell yeah!!!
Cheers,
Erik!!!
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 PM

Wheelied it today twice - agree with the rough landing but then again feathering thru the wheelie should help in smoothing it out. This is the 2nd day I have had this bike and love it! Have had Katana, CBR, V-star, Sportster, and this is a great "feel good while driving and admiring" bike. Turned several heads today with the "what the" look. The front end is VERY LIGHT and comes up before you know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode