Can't Get Into Neutral Before Starting - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kawafornia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can't Get Into Neutral Before Starting

As I posted elsewhere, I just had my rear sprocket and chain replaced. Happy with the results, however: may/not be coincidence, but since that modification, I can rarely get the bike in neutral, with the kickstand down and engine off. That's how I typically get started when the engine is cold - key on, pop into neutral, start and idle for a minute or 2. More often than not, can't do it now; simply goes from first to second.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just a little more info. Can you get the bike in neutral later in the ride or when you get home before you shut the bike off?

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Just a little more info. Can you get the bike in neutral later in the ride or when you get home before you shut the bike off?
Yes, once the bike is running, I can get it into neutral. Makes me wonder if it's electronic - perhaps related to the kickstand kill function, although I can put down the kickstand, in neutral and it continues to run.

I tried rolling the bike a few inches, as I know that can cause the same problem; no joy.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:00 PM

In the meantime, how about this start sequence. Get on the bike, key in and on, clutch pulled in, kickstand up, start bike. Get to neutral and put kickstand down while it warms up.
Or.... get in neutral before you shut the bike off at the end of your ride. Unless you are parked on a hill, it should not matter if bike is in neutral during storage.
The guy before me left the bike in gear all the time. When it was time to go he just got on the bike, kickstand up, clutch in and started it. Luckily, here in Tucson our warm up time is about 30-60 seconds thanks to the V being fuel injected. I now do the same thing - for me it is just not liking that monster clunk when you put it in to first from neutral.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Check for proper chain slack. It should be easily nudged into neutral from 1st gear with engine stopped, when it is then in fact impossible to shift up to 2nd from 1st without having the rear wheel rotate fast enough... How's your engine oil and also your clutch cable slack adjustment?

Last edited by invader; 09-16-2016 at 09:17 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
I was going to make the same suggestion as invader did. Sounds like your new chain might be a BIT tight....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
when was your oil changed ?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Demo'd a Harley recently that had just the opposite problem. Getting neutral with the bike on was impossible. Turn it off and it snicked right in. Not sure how people deal with that. It would drive me flibbin nutz!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 08:52 AM

+1 on the tightness issue. I just had mine in the shop and questioned them on my chain slack, and they warned me that any tighter and this issue may occur. Last year I was having an issue on not being able to start the V while in gear with the stand up. I followed advice here on the forum, uncoupled the kill switch assembly, sprayed with electronic contact oil or WD-40, and voila, could start again whilst in gear.

My sequence for shut down is put in 1st, and deploy the stand to kill the engine. Start up is to flip it out of 1st to N, start and let run for a minute, mount and put up the stand, then put in gear.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Check for proper chain slack. It should be easily nudged into neutral from 1st gear with engine stopped, when it is then in fact impossible to shift up to 2nd from 1st without having the rear wheel rotate fast enough... How's your engine oil and also your clutch cable slack adjustment?
Thanks, Invader (and others). I slackened the chain, slightly, and reduced the clutch cable play - success!
invader likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode