Gear Indicator & 12V Outlet - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Gear Indicator & 12V Outlet

Just went and picked up the items i ordered a few weeks ago from the dealer. Will install this afternoon.

P1010510 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
give us a report on the gear indicator. I need one.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 03:31 PM

Will the gear indicator work on a Gen I ?

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stater61 View Post
Will the gear indicator work on a Gen I ?

Nope, But i put a GlPro gear indicator on my 09 V-650. It was plug n play also

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Took it apart. Pretty straight forward. Looks to be a success only had 2 push pins left over. I'll post a photo of the finished product after lunch....

P1010512 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Installed....

P1010513 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Gear Indicator On.....

P1010514 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Cheap Ebay 12V Plug Voltmeter....

P1010515 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010520 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Joe2Fat2Stupid likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:59 PM

Garage
Looking good. Man, I want one of those gear indicators, but Kawi just asks so much for them! I love Kawasaki products, but hate the price of their OEM parts.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
give us a report on the gear indicator. I need one.

Really happy with the gear indicator. A slight lag but very slight. About the same as my FJR was and the GlPro indicator i had on the 09 V......
turn8a and Joe2Fat2Stupid like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:48 PM

That looks real good, but I was thinking the 1000 had an outlet from the factory for some reason. I may look into the GIpro, you seem to have liked it?
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
That looks real good, but I was thinking the 1000 had an outlet from the factory for some reason. I may look into the GIpro, you seem to have liked it?

Yep i did like it a lot. But the dealer had given me a $100.00 worth of gift cards so i just bought the OEM. Some one did a video installing an OEM 12V outlet like the one i purchased and some one posted on the video that the Versys and Vulcan used the same part or were comparable and the Vulcan outlet was about 50 bucks cheaper. Sucks i found out 2 days after i ordered mine.
cyclejohn likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
The install on a V-650 is less hassle. You don't have to take the front of the bike apart to install. But the 650 does require an accessory relay to be installed that the 1000 doesn't....

StormRider likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Installing that relay on Gen 3 650s is pretty easy, and yields many benefits....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Anyone wanting to add an OEM 12V Outlet. You can save money and use the OEM 12V Outlet for the Vulcan 50 bucks cheaper.....https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories...AGFL/999940541 The DC Socket has the same part # as the Versys.....https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940541.pdf
quexpress likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-07-2016 at 06:40 PM.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
Looking good. Man, I want one of those gear indicators, but Kawi just asks so much for them! I love Kawasaki products, but hate the price of their OEM parts.
Check this one out:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ator-help.html

Motorcycle Gear Indicator Green LED For Kawasaki VERSYS 650 1000 2014-2016 | eBay

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Anyone wanting to add an OEM 12V Outlet. You can save money and use the OEM 12V Outlet for the Vulcan 50 bucks cheaper.....https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories...AGFL/999940541 The DC Socket has the same part # as the Versys.....https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940541.pdf
Thanks for saving me $50..Worked great

I pulled the instrument cluster out, less than 30-minutes to install the 12v outlet and gear indicator.

Thank again for the great write ups and links
weljo2001 likes this.

2016 Versys 1000LT Roseville, CA
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky44 View Post
Thanks for saving me $50..Worked great

I pulled the instrument cluster out, less than 30-minutes to install the 12v outlet and gear indicator.

Thank again for the great write ups and links

Good Deal,

Didn't think about just taking out the instrument cluster...Oh well it was good practice for taking the fairings off for other projects

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 PM

Garage
The outlet comes with more parts for less money, go figure?

Took longer to figure out how to remove the windshield knobs than to do the outlet (old age I guess)..
weljo2001 likes this.

post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Garage
The 12V socket pn# 99994-0541 available at Kawasaki Parts House: OEM Parts Diagrams & Accessories for $21.95 If anyone needs one.

Installed on my 2016 1000LT without issue.

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:43 PM

Garage
I got both. The Gear Indicator (very expensive!) works well, although it has a short lag, nothing really bad.

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:35 AM

Has anyone tried this setup out yet??
Looks like a nice cheap alternative if it works

2016 Orange Versys 650 LT , 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode