Two-Up on New Bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Two-Up on New Bike?

Hey all,

I remember them telling me when I first got my 250, to not ride two up until you hit 1000 miles.

Does this hold true for the V? I pick up a brand new 09 on Friday!!!

(Green...the fastest color...) Pics to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm by no means a break-in expert, but I would imagine they're saying that to mean "get used to riding the bike by yourself first before you take on a passenger".
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnc View Post
I'm by no means a break-in expert, but I would imagine they're saying that to mean "get used to riding the bike by yourself first before you take on a passenger".
I dont think 2up will make a difference on break in, except for having a heavier load. I would just want to know exactly how the bike will handle when loaded down with the extra weight. You want the handling and controls to be 2nd nature before you have the distraction of a passenger.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 PM

Garage
I'd only consider the brakes. You want to work them in as part of your break-in, and avoid heavy braking for the first little while. You may be inclined to brake a little harder with an extra body on board, so just be sure to allow for some extra stopping time and distance.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Not trying to be funny here, but I am 150 pounds. My wife is ~120 pounds. That's 270 pounds. The Versys performs fine. I am sure we have some big boys (or girls) who are 270 and ride it just fine.

I think the bike will be fine, but please get some experience on the bike before subjecting another person to the danger.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Not trying to be funny here, but I am 150 pounds. My wife is ~120 pounds. That's 270 pounds. The Versys performs fine. I am sure we have some big boys (or girls) who are 270 and ride it just fine.

I think the bike will be fine, but please get some experience on the bike before subjecting another person to the danger.
True. I'm 240 and my wifey is 160. At 6'5" and 6'2", we are not small people. The brakes are certainly a thing to watch, that darn seat

too... As far as break in, the trick is accellerating two up without going over 4k rpms (thats what I was told)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 PM

So, how much experience do you have riding two-up, and how much experience does your passenger have? The Versys is a pretty easy bike to ride. If you're skills are up to snuff, and you're accustomed to the bike, I wouldn't give it a second thought - with the caveat that the front end comes up easier with a passenger onboard.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Yeeeehaaaaa

Another green...all right...don't forget to vote on the fastest color poll Schickmeister....1 up is more fun/less risk to me.....I just say I'm not ready to carry a passenger yet....I'M NOT! ENJOY!

EDIT...OOPS POLL CLOSED SORRY GREEN WINS AGAIN!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 09-26-2010 at 10:34 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Hey all,

I remember them telling me when I first got my 250, to not ride two up until you hit 1000 miles.

Does this hold true for the V? I pick up a brand new 09 on Friday!!!

(Green...the fastest color...) Pics to come!
Avoid 2 up till you are OK on 1 up.

&

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, all.

I've ridden tons of miles two up on a little two fiddy! Just curious if that "rule" held for this bike.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Thanks for the info, all.

I've ridden tons of miles two up on a little two fiddy! Just curious if that "rule" held for this bike.
I can go one better! I rode round 2 up for 4 years on a 125 before getting the V. and since both myself and passenger were so comfortable riding together, it made no difference getting onto a 650.

The only thing your passenger will notice is that without something to lean against (i.e. topbox), the acceleration will scare the crap out of him/her since since he/she will get jolted backwards evertime you accelerate.

My missus hated that on the new bike, since on the 125 that never happened,plus we had a topbox to lean against in the first place.

Now that she has a 46 litre box plus back pad itīs no problem, and most of the time I forget she is even there(unless I brake heavily and get butted in the head )
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM

I didn't take my 11 year old on my new Versys until I had done the first 500 odd miles. He has been my regular passenger since he was 5. First on a BMW R1100RT and then on a V-Strom 1000. Both had a topcase to lean on.
I took him out for a short ride as he was itching to go on our new bike, but I wanted to make sure I was happy on the bike before I took him along.
I found the first 500 miles painfully slow, going everywhere at sub 4000rpm, which was about 55mph.
Take your time and enjoy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:00 PM

My Versys was test ridden 2 up at the dealer, so no issue. Do watch the throttle though, as 3rd gear power wheelies with a passenger on board are possible. Of course, disapproval of such action will be immediately known...

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 PM

2up on the Cherohala Skyway this weekend. Cooold!
I suggest you get some riding time 1up before risking a loved one.

Vendetta
A friend of mine once said: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode