Preaching to the Converted - and more - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Preaching to the Converted - and more

Yesterday was an OG reunion ride. A number were invited, but only four of us showed. The newest rider in the group has been riding for over 30 years. A couple of the guys have racing experience, and we've all been riding the hills of California for a long, long time. Not too many photos because we were having too much fun riding to stop and take photos.

A few years back, any ride that the four of us were on had only one brand; BMW. In 2008, I broke the mold by getting a Hypermotard, then Ron sold his GS after he was seduced by the "stoopid power" of a ZX-14, but Steve and Jim have remained true to their GS's.

When the ride invitation went out, I imagine they thought I'd bring the Ducati, and I got disbelieving looks when I showed up on the Versys. One third of the way up 162, Versys was up front, and we were working our way through the other bikes on the road, and the other old guys became believers.

The route:

Oroville - Quincy - La Porte - Marysville

Old guys (OG's) in parking lot:

Old guys clogging arteries at Morning Thunder in Quincy:

On the way home, Jim and I split off from Ron and Steve to go chase some more twisties on La Porte Rd. Jim and I have been riding together for a long time, and are pretty evenly matched. We've traded bikes before (last time we did the Hyper tank-slapped him silly! ), and we've even done some joint test rides together. Usually when we do, whoever is riding the bike that works better will be able to put a gap on the other guy. Switch bikes, and the same bike goes to the front with a different rider on it. Had this experience with our BMW's. Same experience with some Moto-Guzzis we tested (Griso faster than Stelvio, no matter who was riding it), and yesterday we had the same result again.

Care to guess which bike went off the front?

Let's just say that Jim is not prepared to chuck in his GS just yet, but when it wears out, the Versys is now on his shopping list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great write up and like you I love when I ride with different bikes and very often my small orange horse ( very often the smallest horse in the pack)gets some funny looks at the beginning but always at the end of a ride have riders come up to me and what the hell is that twisty rocket ship
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Nice pics! Look at all those smiling faces!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:37 PM

That is an awesome route! Thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 PM

Awesome!

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 PM

Here I am just quietly lurking, doing a bit of research and what do I find but a post about both the Versys and a few Pashnites I have ridden with.

I can hear the chorus "It's a small world after all"

I have been interested in this bike since it came out in '07 and forgot I was waiting for it to make it past CARB.

Met a Versys rider 2 weeks ago and after checking each other ride I swapped my GT for his very green Versys.

I need to get hold of Tony again for a more extensive ride but for those few miles I was impressed. Closest bike I can compare it to is the previous generation Multistrada and the Versys does not have a plastic tank!

Looking like the "All Roads" bike for the discerning shopper if you don't have to tour at triple digits.

Thanks again for all the info,

Vince
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnsfxr View Post
Here I am just quietly lurking, doing a bit of research and what do I find but a post about both the Versys and a few Pashnites I have ridden with.

I can hear the chorus "It's a small world after all"

I have been interested in this bike since it came out in '07 and forgot I was waiting for it to make it past CARB.

Met a Versys rider 2 weeks ago and after checking each other ride I swapped my GT for his very green Versys.

I need to get hold of Tony again for a more extensive ride but for those few miles I was impressed. Closest bike I can compare it to is the previous generation Multistrada and the Versys does not have a plastic tank!

Looking like the "All Roads" bike for the discerning shopper if you don't have to tour at triple digits.

Thanks again for all the info,

Vince
Hey Vince! It is a small world, and I'm guessing you know everyone around the table in that pic from Morning Thunder, except I don't think we've ever met in meat space. Maybe sometime soon.

I am really enjoying the bike. Still have and still ride the Hyper, and was a little uncertain about taking the Versys instead with this group, but it worked out fine. Your assessment of the Versys being similar to the first gen MTS is pretty accurate, and my magnetic bag likes the steel tank.

A couple of weeks back on a BARF ride that came back from the coast on 36, I was able to hang just fine until the triple digit stuff. If it's okay to let the liter bikes go at that point, the Versys does the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode