Footpegs vibes idea - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Footpegs vibes idea

I've just ordered a set of Speedy's foot peg lowering blocks. It's got me wondering, has anybody thought of putting a thin slice of urethane or something similar into the gap where the footpeg lifts to calm the vibes?

You can help make Clem a household name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Doctor Shifty; 09-27-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
If I catch your drift, I think your weight will wear thru it PDQ!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:51 PM

I have had a piece 4mm rubber "in the gap" for a while and it does make the vibes less but it tends to work it's way upwards as the footrest moves.
I am thinking of drilling a shallow hole in the back of the lowering bracket and putting in a rubber peg / damper so it is retained and cannot move.
I have also tried fitting a smaller diameter fixing pin with a piece of plastic tube over it to make it the same diameter as the original pin but this did not seem to make any improvement.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Clivecoo, it's good to know somebody got there before me on this one. I've also wondered about some kind of trapped insert.

I was thinking of using some suspension rubber like nolathane that is designed to take out vibes.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 PM

The boots I wear when I ride make a huge difference. I normally wear a pair of red wings. The top of the line with cork (yes cork) soles and high quality insoles. Vibes are very low to non existent. When I put on my old Timberland chukkas the vibes on the pegs make my feet numb.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
The boots I wear when I ride make a huge difference. I normally wear a pair of red wings. The top of the line with cork (yes cork) soles and high quality insoles. Vibes are very low to non existent. When I put on my old Timberland chukkas the vibes on the pegs make my feet numb.
My feelings exactly. I never got why everyone cried about footpeg vibes until I rode down the block in tennis shoes one day. My cheapo Alpinestars boots help a lot.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 AM

Good idea on thicker boot soles.

or get larger foot pegs with decent rubbers (with Motowerk's lowering peg blocks)

Not sure it's from a Suzuki LC 250 Intruder.

It cuts the vibes and makes long rides longer.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've thought of putting some thicker gel soles into my boots.
Also thought of putting on the softer padded pegs from the 2010 Versys, until I investigated the price.

The vibes don't worry me until about an hour or so into a ride. But I would rather do without.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 AM

My foot peg lowering blocks came in today....timely post! Speedy took 5 days from CA to Toronto area in CAN. Also some mirror extenders and handlebar riser....all necessary add-ons in my view....No FARKLING here....now it's time to tinker....it's raining here so the table is getting kicked out of the gazebo and the Versys is going in! Hope I'm done by the time the rain stops....or else I'll get wet. Think I'll get some cork and give it a go....THANKS GUYS!

Edit...naaa forget it no workey!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 09-28-2010 at 08:11 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:25 PM

I got a pair of Red Wings as well. Problem solved. Before that I took some foam pipe insulation and slid them on the pegs and taped them heavily with duct tape. Sure looked fairly ugly but worked well. Wore out fairly quickly but good for a long trip and back.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:53 PM

buy a set of 2010's

Last edited by stephen; 10-03-2010 at 05:24 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Shifty View Post
Yeah, I've thought of putting some thicker gel soles into my boots.
Definitely need to try that out...

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivecoo View Post
I have had a piece 4mm rubber "in the gap" for a while and it does make the vibes less but it tends to work it's way upwards as the footrest moves.
I am thinking of drilling a shallow hole in the back of the lowering bracket and putting in a rubber peg / damper so it is retained and cannot move.
I have also tried fitting a smaller diameter fixing pin with a piece of plastic tube over it to make it the same diameter as the original pin but this did not seem to make any improvement.
This is what I have done.
I found a couple of rubber feet/grommets in the shed, drilled a shallow hole and pushed them in so about 4mm protruded, tried out today and seems to work well.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Foot-Peg-Tingle...

For those riders that have a 2009 or older model...

I recently added a pair of 2010 foot pegs to my Blue 2009. They are a little spendy but they sure do the job. Vibration seems to be a lot less. Think I'll now glue a small piece of old inner tube on the face of peg lower brackets and see if that dampens the vibes even more...

What a cool machine. I'm taking my baby to AZ for winter.
Hope to meet up with fellow Versys riders in the PHX area for
some canyon carving...

Dave from sunny Eastern Oregon
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Yep, I don't notice the vibes so much with my red wing work boots on. But with my riding boots the vibes are so much worse. And I think my riding boots are much better than my work boots for riding.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivecoo View Post
This is what I have done.
I found a couple of rubber feet/grommets in the shed, drilled a shallow hole and pushed them in so about 4mm protruded, tried out today and seems to work well.
This is the kid of thing I was wondering about. Thanks. I can see a mod happening when my parts arrive.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:41 AM

Smoother ride? For about $5000 more you can buy a Triumph Tiger. Same bike plus a few more ponies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode