What do you feed your baby? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What do you feed your baby?

I have been fueling the Versys with standard (lowest rated) fuel / gas / petrol since i have had it.**

A V-Strom owner told me his ran much better on the middle grade gas, but he couldn't tell any difference for the highest grade petrol.

What do you use and why?

I filled up tonight with the best, so that it averaged 'mid' with the 'base' grade already in the tanl,

In the 1 mile ride home it seemed to sound better (or was that wishful thinking?).

** I purposely didn't put numbers into this post because different countries / different rating methods make numbers almost meaningless.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:51 AM

Hi Bigaussie,

In Malaysia, the "regular" unleaded fuel is 95 RON, "premium" fuel is rated at 97 RON(but for Shell 97 RON is V-Power), and Shell's V-Power Racing is rated at 99 RON.

I believe that higher RON burns better completely and better anti-knocking properties. Also, higher priced. Comparing fuels, I kept to the regular 95 here as the RON rating is already good for the V. Using V-Power once a month.

Webbikeworld first test on the V mentioned Kawasaki recommends minimum RON 91 and their findings.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...wasaki-versys/

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...php/t-313.html

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Canadian regular 87 pump octane (RON+MON/2) gasoline has a research octane number of 91. Mid grade 89 pump posted octane is at 93 RON, and premium 91 pump posted octane is 95 RON... A minimum of 87 pump (91 RON) is recommended for the Versys.
Mine runs well on 93 RON. It's a bit more tractable at low rpm's, and gets slightly better mileage compared to with 91 RON. 95 RON doesn't help considerably more, although I do use 95 RON when only 91 and 95 RON are available.

Last edited by invader; 09-26-2010 at 02:56 AM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 AM

bigaussie,

If you do a search you'll find a couple of threads on gasoline. Like with the oil threads, there is no concensus. I run regular.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 AM

Food

Mine seems to run just fine on regular pump petrol with a shot of Fireball cinnamon whiskey added for good measure.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 AM

87 Octane. There is no benefit to running higher octane in a naturally aspirated, low powered machine. If the V (Versys for some ) had higher compression, or was known for running hot I would use higher. 92 octane may smooth out the low end stumble and pop, but no added power or mileage that I can tell.

Tried others, now I'm back to lawnmower gas..
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

I just try and avoid ethanol. Which living in a corn producing state is almost impossible. The lower energy mass of ethanol makes my mileage drop, and I hate that. I have never experienced engine knock using cheap gas, so I don't bother with higher octane, and in many cases the higher octane rating is achieved through the addition of ethanol.

Steve

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
I just try and avoid ethanol. Which living in a corn producing state is almost impossible. The lower energy mass of ethanol makes my mileage drop, and I hate that. I have never experienced engine knock using cheap gas, so I don't bother with higher octane, and in many cases the higher octane rating is achieved through the addition of ethanol.

Steve
When there are more E85 stations around here, I plan to run my bike on 100% E85 with the power commander for tuning. Worse mileage, but cheaper and more power. The oomph to cost is better and running catless doesn't have the pop on decel (yes I plugged the pair valve)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:20 AM

I had my tank and fairings off other day and the sticker on my tank calls for 91 octane. I had always read that our bikes take 87. I'll see if using 91 makes a difference.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie74 View Post
I had my tank and fairings off other day and the sticker on my tank calls for 91 octane. I had always read that our bikes take 87. I'll see if using 91 makes a difference.
I think the sticker references RON... not octane....

I could be totally wrong, but I saw the same sticker when I took my tank off last week.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
I think the sticker references RON... not octane....

I could be totally wrong, but I saw the same sticker when I took my tank off last week.

Yep. RON, not octane.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
87 Octane. There is no benefit to running higher octane in a naturally aspirated, low powered machine. If the V (Versys for some ) had higher compression, or was known for running hot I would use higher.
This. It doesn't knock on regular. I am skeptical of any claims that the bike runs better on premium. Does the Versys ECU utilize a knock sensor, then change mixture and/or timing in response to whether or not a knock is detected? If not, I don't understand how running higher test fuel changes anything except my fuel budget.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:29 PM

Down here in Peru all the gasolina is leaded. I've been in rural areas where only 84 octanos gasolina was available, had to use it and my Versys ran well on it. I use 84 most of the time now, no hay problema.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
This. It doesn't knock on regular. I am skeptical of any claims that the bike runs better on premium. Does the Versys ECU utilize a knock sensor, then change mixture and/or timing in response to whether or not a knock is detected? If not, I don't understand how running higher test fuel changes anything except my fuel budget.
Without the addition of a timing unit to advance it, there is no reason to even consider higher than 87... the one exception is perhaps riding in VERY HOT conditions where super hot intake air creates a possibility of detonation at heavy load... again... not gonna happen normally.

Oh yeah, I don't know if there is a knock sensor.. but its a modern motor, so MAYBE>??!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:28 PM

I'm running mid-grade, have been since I bought it. I've put a couple of tanks full of High test, but only when the other option has been regular. Didn't notice any difference with 93. I have consistently getting 52mpg, so I'm not going to change anything in the near future.

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Moar cowbell!

Why can't I type in all caps??? It's necessary on my initial two words!!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
When there are more E85 stations around here, I plan to run my bike on 100% E85 with the power commander for tuning. Worse mileage, but cheaper and more power. The oomph to cost is better and running catless doesn't have the pop on decel (yes I plugged the pair valve)
Have you actually done this? I'd think that maybe the injectors wouldn't be able to flow enough E85 to run properly. You may have to go to higher flow rate injectors. The other concern would be that the fuel system components wouldn't be compatible with higher amounts of ethanol.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Have you actually done this? I'd think that maybe the injectors wouldn't be able to flow enough E85 to run properly. You may have to go to higher flow rate injectors. The other concern would be that the fuel system components wouldn't be compatible with higher amounts of ethanol.
I have not done this, but you raise the right concerns.

1.) I think a Power Commander V with auto-tune and a O2 sensor installed will be able to pump up the duty cycle to max, but I still may need larger squirters.... My friend had to double the size on his car for this and then tune it all over the place.

2.) I'm really not concerned about the modern components being effected by Ethanol. Unless I hear otherwise, this is the optimal setup for when I bite the bullet and install a TURBO!!!! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD34 View Post
Down here in Peru all the gasolina is leaded. I've been in rural areas where only 84 octanos gasolina was available, had to use it and my Versys ran well on it. I use 84 most of the time now, no hay problema.

Gary
In Peru, leaded gasoline is available in 84 and 95 octane (RON?), and unleaded at 90 and 97 octane. Catalytic converter may be removed in Peru to accommodate the local leaded gasoline at more reasonable prices...
Leaded gasoline can damage and plug up the catalytic converter in the Versy's muffler.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Without the addition of a timing unit to advance it, there is no reason to even consider higher than 87... the one exception is perhaps riding in VERY HOT conditions where super hot intake air creates a possibility of detonation at heavy load... again... not gonna happen normally.

Oh yeah, I don't know if there is a knock sensor.. but its a modern motor, so MAYBE>??!
There is no knock sensor on the Versys... I run 5 degrees more advanced ignition timing and it runs perferctly on 93 RON (89 North American pump posted octane) at 750' asl, although I haven't tried 91 RON (87 pump).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode