Help with a helmet - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help with a helmet

Actually I'm using an HJC helmet size L. The other day I bought a Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet (very nice, high quality) in the same size. Before I bought it I checked the sizes in both charts, both dimensions were equal. When I tried to wear it... I couldn't, it couldn't even enter in my head. I had to return it and now I do not know which will be the proper sizefor me. The same happened with another helmet from the Italian brand AIRO; size L does not enter in my head but the XXL fit perfect.
Does anyone experienced these problems?
I will appreciate your feedbacks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:16 PM

The amount of padding makes a big difference. I go to a dealer that has stock and try them on till I get a good fit. Armed with a model and size, you can order from the internet. Or, using the internet price, negotiate price with the dealer.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM

Never buy helmets or boots without a chance to try it first.

Even if the size is Ok the shape of the helmet may not fit you.
All manufacturers have slightly different shell shapes.
Most of high-end helmets don't fit me at all but I'm lucky to have found one I can wear for 10 hours straight (also good when you fly over the handlebars) and I'm sticking with it.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:34 PM

I have an HJC Large that fit when I bought it and now is loose on my head, so I recently bought an HJC Med - too tight. When I wear it I feel a pressure point on my forehead after about 10 min. What to do? I guess I'll wear the med for short periods of time and hopefully it will stretch out. I found the Scorpions to be too narrow for me.

This site has lots of good info http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

I remember some years ago, a friend gave me a helmet and when I put it was all OK but the forehead, I felt pressure there. What I did was to remove the sponges and smooth out the foam a few millimeters until was perfect .... What a good times when I dared to do such experiments ...!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
don't be such a cheap skate......go to your local dealer and try them on then buy it from the local hop that so courteously helped you find your size support your local biz ...they are your neighbors .afterall.... fer gosh sakes!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. If you want your local shops to go away, just don't give them any business. Personally I enjoy old fashioned brick and mortar. I think big box stores suck, and don't get me started on self-checkout lines - talk about impersonal. Support Small Business. OK I'll get off the soap box.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
The amount of padding makes a big difference. I go to a dealer that has stock and try them on till I get a good fit. Armed with a model and size, you can order from the internet. Or, using the internet price, negotiate price with the dealer.
Oh Please!!!! that's just rude.....To shop locally then buy on the inter-web!!!!! might as well just walk ito your local dealer and kick him in the groin while your at it
Don't be such a cheap skate......go to your local dealer and try them on then buy it from the local shop that so courteously helped you find your size. Support your local biz ...they are your neighbors after all.... fer gosh sakes!!!!!!!!!

PS, not all heads are alike....and different manufacturers favor a certain shaped head over an other ( there are just to many variables). Scorpion favors oval/ thinner skull shapes....but you would have known that if you went to an authorized dealer.

Of course, I'm lucky in that my Kawasaki dealer (Macomb Powersport) has a huge accessory shop and maintains a vast selection of clothing and helmets etc etc etc.

And 'Scotty'....Sorry for climbing on my" high horse" BUT, you really stepped on one of my all time pet peeves. How much cash are you really saving with such despicable shopping practices????
Folks gotta make a living and the folks down the street at your local dealer are your neighbors. if they go down...they lose there homes...their children don't eat, everyone loses. We're all in this together. The web shops generally don't give a rats ass about you; Many are nothing more than a few hacks sitting behind a computer being nothing more than warehouse without "warehouses". (drop shipping everything with no real investment), undercutting your neighbor...and for what??? so you can save 25 bucks on a helmet purchase.
.But when you build a relationship with your neighborhood shop...that usually will pay-off in spades somewhere down the line.

But i guess that's the american way....never looking beyond your own nose, F**K everyone else...ME ME ME ME ME!!!!
(kinda like the 'cager' mentality when it comes to sharing the road with all off us).
ARRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
And for the record...I do shop and buy on the web.....when what i am looking for is UNAVAILABLE LOCALLY....but only then!
Sorry for politicizing the thread guys.
ok, I'll shut up now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 09-25-2010 at 07:21 PM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

wow.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:39 PM

I kind of agree with scotty.

Always try to negotiate price with the dealer. I prefer to give my buisness to my local shop too, but only if they have a good price. I'd rather save the 25 bucks for my kids college fund. Even though I don't have kids yet..got to start somewhere.

Have you ever gone to several dealers and shops looking for something specific? Prices can vary wildly!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
How much cash are you really saving with such despicable shopping practices????
I saved $150 each on my and my wifes helmets buy trying them on locally for size and ordering from Dennis Kirk (using their beat it by a buck). $300 savings for two helmets. Sorry, I refuse to give that to my local dealer. I did however buy a $7000 2010 Versys, so they got plenty of my $ anyway.

I support local when their markup is reasonable. I don't mind a certain percentage, but when I can get the same product for 1/3 off, especially a higher dollar product, fire up the ol pooter and break out the plastic!

Oh, and warehouse stores not "giving a rats ass about me".....Dennis Kirk made a $400 shipment to me with bike parts 2 years ago. The box was opened in route and a bunch of toner cartridges (used) were stuffed in the box instead. I suspect UPS theft. One call to DK and they arranged UPS pickup from my house, immediately re-shipped my order before waiting on the return. My card was only charged once and I never heard anything further about my return. I received product a few days later. Guess they don't give a rats ass about me.

Side note: I have a local music store that will price match his inventory to any delivered price online as long as he can verify it. This proves to me that you can have a storefront and be competitive.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I saved $150 each on my and my wifes helmets buy trying them on locally for size and ordering from Dennis Kirk (using their beat it by a buck). $300 savings for two helmets. Sorry, I refuse to give that to my local dealer. I did however buy a $7000 2010 Versys, so they got plenty of my $ anyway.
If you dont want to give the money to the shop then do not go in there to try them on.

I work retail at a ski shop, and hate it when a person comes in and wastes my time picking my brain on gear, then goes out and buys it online. Then they are shocked when they dont get good customer rates on stuff.

It costs money to have the store with lights, and to pay the staff.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
I have an HJC Large that fit when I bought it and now is loose on my head, so I recently bought an HJC Med - too tight. When I wear it I feel a pressure point on my forehead after about 10 min. What to do? I guess I'll wear the med for short periods of time and hopefully it will stretch out. I found the Scorpions to be too narrow for me.
This site has lots of good info http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm
HJC has different thickness cheekpads for your helmet. Try buying the thicker pads to put in your Large helmet.
You can also reshape the foam on the Medium helmet slightly by forcefully rolling a golf ball over the area that gives you the pressure point. That may give enough clearance to fit more comfortably.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
If you dont want to give the money to the shop then do not go in there to try them on.

I work retail at a ski shop, and hate it when a person comes in and wastes my time picking my brain on gear, then goes out and buys it online. Then they are shocked when they dont get good customer rates on stuff.

It costs money to have the store with lights, and to pay the staff.
You have a valid point. As I said, I will pay a reasonable markup. I work hard for my income too! I refuse to throw my money into the wind. More competitive prices = more business from me.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
You have a valid point. As I said, I will pay a reasonable markup. I work hard for my income too! I refuse to throw my money into the wind. More competitive prices = more business from me.
Maybe we should start a new thread instead of hijacking the helmet help?

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Just Right

A week ago today, I tried on a large HJC at a local shop- it fit, I ordered the CS-R1 I wanted, in a large mind you. When I got the call to pick it up yesterday, I got there and it was a medium! After tracking down te mistakenly order, I tried it on and it fits like a charm- snug and comfortable enough for an hour long ride that I know for sure of so far. I wonder if it's possible for a particular style of helmet to vary in padding density and/or overall fit from one helmet to the next...??

'09 Greener
Ride on. Ride hard. Respect the bike.

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
Maybe we should start a new thread instead of hijacking the helmet help?
Hey, thanks for singling me out! I didn't start the hijack but I did gladly participate. Besides good conversation always changes subject the longer it continues.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:13 PM

I wear an xxl scorpion exo 1000. When I tried other helmets on I found that xxl was the size in pretty much every brand. Did you check to make sure the inflatable cheek pads were deflated?

Regarding trying stuff on in the store, I shamelessly do it all the time. I tell the store what I can get it for online and they have an opportunity to match the price. If they don't then I walk and save the money. It's called business. FWIW I paid 180 online for my exo 1000. Dealer wouldn't come off MSRP one red cent. If they'd match or get close then I'd buy local. While we're on it, I can't find Olympia ranger 2 pants any cheaper online than in the store, so I'll be buying local. Tax vs shipping is a wash, and, when given the opportunity, I'll shop local.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Hey, thanks for singling me out! I didn't start the hijack but I did gladly participate. Besides good conversation always changes subject the longer it continues.
Yeah!!!!!

why does the Capn' get all the 'cred' for stealing the thread?????
I'm the instigator!!!!!!

My apologies for the sudden outburst of soapboxitis. (perhaps I need to find a cork, then keep it in my soapbox so it's ...handy).
My BAD.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 09-26-2010 at 01:50 AM.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Same here! Got an HJC Sy-Max about 8 years ago brand new. Fit great except for the pressure at contact point with my forehead... Peeled back the padding and molded the foam a bit and VIOLA! Fit perfect after that.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 AM

My wife and I both have Scorpion helmets, and we both went one size larger than other helmets. They are a little snug at first, but they now fit great. Pressure points are a personal thing. Remember all heads are shaped differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode