purchased 2012 in Black n Gold - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
purchased 2012 in Black n Gold

Well, I went and did it. Cycle Exchange in Ledgewood NJ had a couple of 2012 Versys (Versi?) and a 2013 V-Strom (with ABS) for sale at the sale price. Being a Steeler fan, I fell in love with the Black and Gold (OK Yellow) beauty.
Not having ridden for so many years, I had it shipped to my house the next day.
Love is a tough mistress, upon my first tentative rides I realized she had to change

a) First of all, I could not believe she would not accept a centerstand! Bitch. So I am ordering a pack jack and a decent rear-wheel stand.
b) Second, OMG the seat is unbelievably bad. Now, I am a big guy 6'3 all legs 275 pounds. But in my limited riding I got sick and tired of slamming my naughty bits into the tank. Thanks to the forum , I am researching the front seat raising trick. Just want to know bolt/washer size and what exactly that mystery piece is (as I am doubtful I have one laying around).
c) Then having read about Moto Werks on the forum, I promptly went on that site and ordered the lowering peg block, as well as mirror extenders, swingarms spools (for the rear-wheel stand), and (because I don't like kickstands and used to always use centerstands when parking), the kickstand flatfoot (yes, I have seen kickstands sink in hot asphalt before).
d) I do want to add a small amount of storage, whether a tank bag or something else I don't know yet will read and figure out.
e) Now I remember vaguely reading something hear about the fact that she doesn't want me to lock my helmet to her? Can't remember but will have to research that as well.

Hopefully that will do it for the short term. I have the BRC2 in early October, want to get this stuff done so I can get practice before that class (at least that is why I am planning on telling my wife why I am buying this stuff and riding so much!
Then in the spring :
f) headlight - well, not that I think about it the days are getting shorter
f) I haven't ridden enough to notice any issues with the brakes, but then again it sounds like the brake line upgrade is pretty common
g) will consider buying soft bags then as well.
h) by then I will no if seat-raising is adequate or if I need a new seat.

Looking forward to many good miles!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RightSide.jpg (19.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg FrontRight.jpg (18.1 KB, 81 views)

2012 Black n Gold purchased 8/31/2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
" ...Love is a tough mistress, upon my first tentative rides I realized she had to change

b) Second, OMG the seat is unbelievably bad. Now, I am a big guy 6'3 all legs 275 pounds. But in my limited riding I got sick and tired of slamming my naughty bits into the tank. Thanks to the forum , I am researching the front seat raising trick. Just want to know bolt/washer size and what exactly that mystery piece is (as I am doubtful I have one laying around).

e) Now I remember vaguely reading something hear about the fact that she doesn't want me to lock my helmet to her? Can't remember but will have to research that as well.

f) I haven't ridden enough to notice any issues with the brakes, but then again it sounds like the brake line upgrade is pretty common

Looking forward to many good miles!"

Here's my take:
b) just take a piece of steel (OR you could order the plastic bit a member is making and selling in the FOR SALE section) and drill two holes at the same distance apart as that piece holding down the rear of your gas tank, buy two 6mmx45 bolts and a dozen 1/4" SAE washers;

e) there's two places UNDER the seat, one each side, you can attach your helmet D-ring to. Bit of a PITA to use.... I use a ski cable-lock and attach it thru the passenger hand-holds and the helmet's chin-bar;

f) I too recommend the SS brake lines (TWO separate ones at the front), and on the rear, as it makes the rear brakes MUCH better. Spend some time ALIGNING your headlights, which helps a LOT!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! You'll get it dialed in, be safe on your re-entry to riding.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillersfan View Post
Well, I went and did it. Cycle Exchange in Ledgewood NJ had a couple of 2012 Versys (Versi?) and a 2013 V-Strom (with ABS) for sale at the sale price. Being a Steeler fan, I fell in love with the Black and Gold (OK Yellow) beauty.
Not having ridden for so many years, I had it shipped to my house the next day.
Love is a tough mistress, upon my first tentative rides I realized she had to change

a) First of all, I could not believe she would not accept a centerstand! Bitch. So I am ordering a pack jack and a decent rear-wheel stand.
c) Then having read about Moto Werks on the forum, I promptly went on that site and ordered the lowering peg block, as well as mirror extenders, swingarms spools (for the rear-wheel stand), and (because I don't like kickstands and used to always use centerstands when parking), the kickstand flatfoot (yes, I have seen kickstands sink in hot asphalt before).
d) I do want to add a small amount of storage, whether a tank bag or something else I don't know yet will read and figure out.

Hopefully that will do it for the short term. I have the BRC2 in early October, want to get this stuff done so I can get practice before that class (at least that is why I am planning on telling my wife why I am buying this stuff and riding so much!
Then in the spring :
f) headlight - well, not that I think about it the days are getting shorter
g) will consider buying soft bags then as well.

Looking forward to many good miles!
I have the same 2012 (Yellow/Black) here in Chicago. Good looking color scheme IMO.

The seat will continue to be terrible at your size. Consider Seat Concepts for a much more comfortable seat that will give you some extra leg room as well.

Also, a shock and spring upgrade could also improve comfort and handling substantially.

Just carry your helmet around as it makes you look cool.

Kawasaki has a tail bag that fits on the rear of the seat for the Versys. Also, lots of throw over bags are out there that will fit.

My next mod will be the S/S braided brake lines and upgraded pads.

Enjoy!

Scott

Scott in Chicagoland
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:35 AM

Welcome! If the seat raising trick doesn't work, then there are a number of alternatives (Seat Concepts, Baldwin) that could fix that problem. I think the lowering block is the one purchase that you will appreciate immediately...your knees will thank you.

Once you get it dialed in, though, it'll be a blast. Enjoy!

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 08:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillersfan View Post
The OEM helmet hooks (beneath the seat) on every bike I've ever had just plain suck. As a result, I've put a "Helmet Guardian" on my last 6 bikes. Plan to get one for my Versys soon:

There is a video HERE showing how it works and the easy installation. Go HERE for a picture showing it mounted.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Last edited by Wolfcamp; 09-25-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode