F.I. cleaners - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
F.I. cleaners

I have been thinking of getting some lucas fuel injection cleaner, and I am wondering is this stuff any good or just A farse. Are any of the injector cleaners A good buy? What are your thoughts and experiences with these products.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 PM

I can vouch for Seafoam. I've never run in a motorcycle, but it works wonders in a car engine.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrider54 View Post
I can vouch for Seafoam. I've never run in a motorcycle, but it works wonders in a car engine.
+1

I have not run it in the V. But my previous bike was a old Ninja. I sat over winter with nothing done to the gas, or carbs drained. Come spring it did run, but was the roughest running bike I had ever heard. I poured in a mixture of sea foam in the gas and let it sit in the driveway running for a few hours. I continued to put it in a few tanks just to keep cleaning, and it soon ran great.
A friend who went to school to be a bike mechanic had offered to tear down the carbs and clean them entirely when we were just starting to look at it early spring. He never did as it ran great after.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 PM

There is another thread (at least) on here about fuel system cleaners and Lucas got a lot of high marks from several folks.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 PM

Make sure you use the appropriate amount for the tank size. NOT the amount that would go in a car.

And don't be surprised if your mileage drops while the cleaner is working through the system.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I always add 1 ounce of Lucas fuel treatment & upper cylinder lubricant per 10 US gallon (instead of 2-3 ounces) to every tankfull. It consistently improves fuel mileage more than enough to pay for the Lucas. I get it in 4 gallon cases, and also use it in the car.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...how&headTitle=
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 AM

Techron is a perennial favorite, Amsoil has an excellent product as well, even a new one specifically for sporting equipment like bikes, jetskiis, atv's etc..

A good idea if your bike sits at all with these modern fuels - it goes bad in about a month.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Cool thanks for all the responses, I think I am going to start using the lucas treatment in both my car and bike.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 AM

+ 1 for SEAFOAM

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Seafoam or the techron additive from chevron

AMA EAA STN
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 PM

Using Shell V-Power once a month.
Inside scoop from Shell lab tech's here is that V-Power has 3 times cleaning additives that their normal petrol fuel.

Hear from other bikers here that 3M fuel cleaner is also good.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Fuel_Systems/

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Sea-Foam as my choice. I stumbled across it years ago racing outboards. Had injectors flowed / cleaned and didn't know back then that the solution contained Sea-Foam. Now, since I heat my home with nothing other than wood, do a lot of cutting and splitting. Talking to the people at the small engine repair shops, they use it exclusively. I guess they are having HUGE problems with E-10 fuels. I started using it about 4 years ago in my splitter, saw, Brute Force ATV, Versys, boat, and anything else I own with a motor. I actually IGNORED my splitter for about 6 months and it started on the first pull this past month. AMAZING. No issues relative to carburetion at all. At the Marine Dealership I work for, since the "Sea-Foam" has worked so well for me, decided to use it in the over-1000-unit storage boats we do. We have had similar results from our customers. Many people swear by it. I do.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:32 PM

I personally fill in 98 octane fuel. Also do that on my civic vti.
hence never needed to add in cleaning aditives
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 PM

What makes you think filling up with 98 octane cleans the engine? Higher octane fuels don't contain a higher volume of cleaning agents than 87 octane. If your owner's manual states 87 octane then the only thing higher octane will do it deplete your wallet faster. In order to truly CLEAN your fuel system you need to use a dedicated product - like SEAFOAM. I've used it for years in many different applications with excellent results.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM

Agreed, higher octane does not promote a "cleaner" engine with modern fuels. Truth is, you only need what the motor is designed for, and the highest performance is yield with the motor on the verge of pre-ignition. Maybe in the past some of the "super" fuels contained cleaning agents, when it was Methyl-Tertiary-Butyl-Ether, but not now....I do need to ask though...where the heck are you getting 98 octane?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:07 PM

Here ya go. LINK

Ride em if ya got em!

Last edited by tinner; 10-02-2010 at 10:33 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

I just bought some seafoam and gonna give it a try.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There's a lot of sea foam by the ocean coast, if you're close to it... That name brand doesn't sound very inspiring to me, to be used in an engine.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
I just bought some seafoam and gonna give it a try.
It is good stuff. : )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
There's a lot of sea foam by the ocean coast, if you're close to it... That name brand doesn't sound very inspiring to me, to be used in an engine.
I think this comes from the gulf coast its 100 percent patrolium based.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode