Trackday Pics - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trackday Pics

Over 1/6 of my V's 600 or so miles were ridden on Pacific Raceway yesterday with a few of my riding buddies. Not to my surprise my bike and an FJR were the only "sport-touring" models there The weather was awesome for the first day of fall... temps reached 70 degrees by lunchtime.

The straightaway acceleration was excellent up to about 80-90mph. After this point you quickly lose steam. I do miss my ninja 6r's balls to the wall speed. The top speed on the straights averaged 119-121 (my 6r got me well into the 140's)... i got passed ALOT LOL. A different story in the curves as the V held her own and then some. Powering out of a corner is an experience.... its like a rocket ship. I can just imagine the look on the gxsr guys faces when they realize they are getting passed by a little green monster.

The new BT016 tires gave me a little scare in one turn (10-15 foot slide) as i only had 60 or so street miles on them but my confidence in them grew throughout the day. The previous OEM dunlops I wore to the edge but for some reason these Bridgestones still had some strip; Due to tire profile? I notice that BT's were a little more stable and alot slower tip in than dunlops.... this can be a good thing.

Overall the Versys did awesome. I cannot wait to try her out on a more technical track with less straights and more curves as this is where the Versys shines the most. I'll upload videos when my buddies are done processing them. In the meanwhile here are a few pics.

Last edited by flipexed; 09-23-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

My buddy and I arriving ... check out the R6... sharp looking bike.

Mirrors removed... all a taped up and ready to go.

Look on my face after the first sessions tire slip

My buddies and their bikes

Some badass kawi bikes.... note the sign in the background EVERGREEN

Coffee break

I love riding the Z.... I'm thinking maybe next year

Packed up and ready to go.... a good day. zero accidents and 100% legal speeding
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the post, glad the V got to get some track, hope you can find a more twisty track for next time....

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM

Sounds like lot of fun! Reading your day at the track makes me suddently miss riding my v. On a business trip (3000 miles) away from home and could not make it with the v this time.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics. Glad you had a safe and fun day. Lots of fast bikes in your group, good thing you were on a fast green V!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 AM

Thanks for sharing. Was that an Adrenaline Freaks track day? Mario is a buddy of mine.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the update and trust BT016 lived up to your expectation.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 04:28 AM

good stuff! - what group did you end up in? - will watch out for vid
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great looking pic's, well done on the track day
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 AM

Great pics. Looks like you had a blast and glad that the V held its own.

I was scheduled to ride my first track day at TWS this weekend but have to cancel. I was really looking forward to trying the new BT 016s that were installed yesterday. I am a little concerned about the 10-15 foot slide. Any suggestions to prevent?

Because its there
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipexed View Post
A different story in the curves as the V held her own and then some. Powering out of a corner is an experience.... its like a rocket ship. I can just imagine the look on the gxsr guys faces when they realize they are getting passed by a little green monster.

Overall the Versys did awesome. I cannot wait to try her out on a more technical track with less straights and more curves as this is where the Versys shines the most. .
Just chime in again, had the same experince on track up against gsxr's, so know how good it feels and was even bettter for me was a very tight twisty track over a 2 day period and only had one small mishap in the 32 celcius temp was had a brain explosion and forgot to turn as taught and had a small panic attack and went straight off track at a bend over the gravel and stopped before the big tyres.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM

Oooops, forgot to ask but what brand/weight oil did you use? I am not trying to start another thread on oil, just curious as to your specifics.

Because its there
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

flienlow.... it was the 2fast guys; they put on a good show. Heard AF does a great job as well.

133bhp.... I signed up for the "relaxed" sessions. Been in the intermediate class and there were too many crashes for my liking.

Veejay... pushed too hard early on powering out of a curve; that and i did not properly "break" the tires in? 60 street miles only... i believe its recommended about a 100 easy street riding miles or so? I use Shell Rotella T 15w-40 for all my bikes; cheap and reliable.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add that I got my suspension dialed in... best $40 bux I've ever spent. Its like night and day.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:07 AM

As "compensation" for not having canyon roads to ride anymore after moving from Wyoming to Omaha, I decided to do a couple of Trackaddix track days at Midamerica Motorplex near Pacific Junction Iowa. The first was a "track orientation school" which allowed 20 minutes of track time each hour. This month, I did a full, open session day which allowed 40 minutes each hour. The pics link is to the track photog's website, and the photos seem to move around, so if the V pics don't come up, just go to the homepage, set view for 9/11/2010, and look through for quite a few of me on my Versys.

http://www.vivamotorsiklo.com/date/2...09290908_N4evk

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/default.asp

My '09 Versys mods:
- Race-Tech complete re-work of stock forks and shock (post is somewhere in the archives)
- Michelin Pilot Power (std, not 2ct) tires
- My own crafted windscreen which started life as a V-Stream, with modified stock brackets
- Yoshimura slip-on

When the Pilot Powers are warmed up, they wouldn't slide at all before footpeg contact, even with peg feelers removed, and rear preload with the stock spring set at #6. The other two limitations were 1. the handlebars are way too high for speeds over 100 MPH, and 2. The lack of feel from the stock brakes, even with EBC pads, combined with the upright riding position and long suspension travel made hard braking before turn 1 from an indicated 120 MPH a bit too exiting at times. Like flipexed, whereas I never miss more power on the street, the V seemed pretty wheezy at higher speeds on the track, especially when getting passed by fast sportbikes. Otherwise it was a blast.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Wyo... Awesome pics I feel the same way about the V on the street... to me its the perfect combination. I love commuting way more on the Versys than the 6r. Might just have to pickup something cheap to bang on at the track next year because i miss the speed.

My jackass buddy who caught the video kept blowing past me... I'll try to edit some of those segments out Here are a few pics from that day.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 AM

My first track day is now history. What a blast! The track is south of Houston in Hitchcock, TX - Grand Sport Speedway. It is a short technical track so top speed was not an issue for the '08 Versys. Top speed probably not much more than 90 mph. The V held its own in the corners (could have passed but not permitted in the courners in Novice group) but got blown away by the some of the sport bikes in the short straights. 3rd and 4th gear for the entire circuit.

Tires were BT-016s and seemed very sticky when compared to OEMs. The techs suggested pressure was 29 rear and 31 front which seemed to work well. Otherwise the bike is completely stock. All plastic was taped over and necessary fuses were removed to prevent lights, turn signals and horn from functioning.

Since this was my first time out on the track I wasn't sure what to expect from the V or what suspension adjustments need to be made but I am sure I will learn over time. Next time out is 11/6 at MSRC in Cresson, TX (500 mile round trip from home, ugh!).

I will be corner working at MSRH (Angleton, TX) next weekend to earn a credit for a free track day.

I do not know how to insert pictures so if someone could provide instructions it would be appreciated.

Because its there
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipexed View Post
Wyo... Awesome pics I feel the same way about the V on the street... to me its the perfect combination. I love commuting way more on the Versys than the 6r. Might just have to pickup something cheap to bang on at the track next year because i miss the speed.

My jackass buddy who caught the video kept blowing past me... I'll try to edit some of those segments out Here are a few pics from that day.

Do you too find it disapointing that track day pictures come out looking like you're on a sunday drive even though you are sure you are tearing up the track? I always thought my photos would show me looking like Ben Spies, instead they looked like I was on my way to church. Ba hahahah!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 AM

flipexed.....Let me guess, turn 3 through turn 7 were probably the most fun at Pacific Raceways on the Versys. With those tires, 3 and 4 should have been a real blast. Glad you had fun. By the way, who dialed in your suspension? Was this at the track?..........frog

(Chiriqui, Veraguas, Herrera, Los Santos, Cocle, Colon, and Panama provinces of Panama)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

fien... my photos are always disappointing

frog... yes GP Suspension (Barry) set my suspension. I wholeheartedly recommend him... he did my past 2 bikes. They are based out of Oregon and are regulars at most of the PacNW track days.

Turn 3 is awesome... turn 7 not so much... the little patches of greenery throw me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode