Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Fastoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Turn signal stalk deterioration

Original thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...rioration.html

I saw a couple of other posts on this, but wanted to add my .02

Three of my four turn signal stalks on my 08 (gen1) have deteriorated to the point where they're dangling by the connecting wires at this point. Investigation of the remaining stalk shows that it's about to fail as well. I've tried some quick zip tie approaches, but these have all failed. It seems like the only real option is to buy 4 more at 55 apiece if I want to keep the stock look.

I'm not terribly comfortable with flush mounts at this point as they're close enough to the bike when done that their visibility is fairly poor. Have any others had any luck using the stock mounting location for other brands of turn signals? All the ones I've found don't appear to be plug and play fits...

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Givi - V35 Monokey Saddlebags - Large windscreen - Tail rack with v46 trunk
Speedy's - 1" Handlebar risers - Footpeg Lowering blocks
Osram 65W Bright replacements
Kawasaki Handguards
... And the all important gremlin bell, courtesy of my wife.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-09-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:52 AM

I'm just curious - is there any reason in particular that your turn signal stalks are deteriorating? Is your V stored outside year round? Do you ride off road a lot / tip over often? The OEM replacement sounds really expensive.

I will check my '08 for deterioration tonight. Last I checked, they were fine.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Mine is in a garage all day and every time it's not on the road. I ride in any condition that isn't ice or snow though (unless I'm caught out in it on a long journey or something), so maybe that has something to do with it.

It's never been laid down, though likely 10-15% of the miles are off-road. With them being rubber mounts though, I'd expect them to be able to handle gravel road shaking around a bit. I'm pretty disappointed that they have simply fallen off the deteriorated mounts :-\

Seems I'm not the only one though:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tegrating.html

Not common, but apparently I'm not alone.

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Kawasaki Handguards

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Guess I could do something like this... though I'd much rather keep the stock mounting type if possible. I like to keep all the safety stuff as OEM as possible with the exception of additional lighting:
Black Turn Signal Adapter Plates Kit Kawasaki Ninja ZX 6 7 9 10 1100 12 ZZR EX | eBay

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Kawasaki Handguards
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:22 PM

They look ok to me. And less than half price of original,
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I'd just rather stick with stock if at all possible for this. If I could JUST buy the rubber mounting part, I'd do that, but I don't see a way to get it without buying the whole kit

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Kawasaki Handguards
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Have you checked motorcycle "salvage" yards...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

I have no idea where one would be locally. Kansas is great at being flat. That's about it

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Kawasaki Handguards
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 07:03 AM

Garage
I just recently changed the front right turn signal on my Versys. I purchased a scratched fairing with the signal from e-Bay for approx. $20. I see that they occasionally appear there. Besides, it looks like the front/rear/left/right are all the same.

It is interesting that the rubber part of the turn signal has a part number P5152 (Stanley). It would be great to purchase a bulk of these from a Stanley dealer, but my quick search did not produce any results.

Last edited by anton; 08-29-2016 at 10:27 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
One source I've used for salvage parts over the years is suncoast cycle sports on ebay. Their prices are pretty good overall and never had any issues buying from them. I did many repairs and rebuilds on the cheap for people with not much to spend. There are other good online salvage MC parts stores but plenty of idiots out there too. I've seen the stalk breakdown before on different models, seems pretty random. They all seemed to be very dry and just crumbled. Using one of many plastic / rubber preservatives can prevent or slow it down. The one I use (although for tire use) is McGuire's Hot Shine. Personally never had an issue on any of my bikes with stalk type signals.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm11_6 View Post
Have any others had any luck using the stock mounting location for other brands of turn signals? All the ones I've found don't appear to be plug and play fits...
Don't try. Find the 2 pairs of kawasaki turn signals "adapter plates" ($3-5 max) that fit in the fairing hole and there are tons of turn signals models openni up to you that will just mount on those plates and look fine.

You may have to find wire adapter ($5-10 for a pair max) too for the kawasaki connector unless you are ok with cutting and soldering the factory wire... (I wouldn't)

If you go for LED versions, they all suck except if they show a daylight image of it lit and you estimate is it enough. Some approved certification would definitely reassure me. But for led ons, you have to either change the relay, or add a 22 ohms 10W (to immitate the 10W bulb) shunt (in parallel to the connection, not in serie) resistors to both signals so they don't flash too fast.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Well, the stanley part panned out:
UN CLIGNOTANT REFERENCE STANLEY P5152 DOT KAWASAKI Z 1000 2007 A 2009 | eBay

One at a time could work, but shipping from EU would be a killer. I'll just have to keep an eye out!

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Kawasaki Handguards
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 PM

Garage
Those Stanley adapters don't show up on ebay. Anybody know what else might work?
Randy
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
No mechanical skills here, but would a possible simple fix (temporary, maybe permanent) be some good electrical tape (or the new black Gorilla tape) wrapped over the entire rubber section. My 2007 Honda Rebel came to me that way 3 years ago (similar stalks) and one was wrapped with electrical tape. I never gave it a second glance so just went and looked at it and it is still fine. Granted, I have no idea what is wrong under the tape and have no need to look. That Gorilla tape is VERY sturdy stuff (the Rebel is just regular electric tape however). I use Gorilla tape over my home brew foot shifter extender which of course gets rubbed by my boot about 100 times per ride and it lasts at least 10 rides before a new application. Good Luck.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
(snip) My 2007 Honda Rebel came to me that way 3 years ago (similar stalks) and one was wrapped with electrical tape. I never gave it a second glance so just went and looked at it and it is still fine. Granted, I have no idea what is wrong under the tape and have no need to look.
Smart decision.

Setup Progress ----------- 83%
Add a custom signature
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
some good electrical tape (or the new black Gorilla tape) wrapped over the entire rubber section.
That is my current solution with my 11 dollar amazon LED blinkers. When I got my 2009 V, it was missing the rear brake side signal and I dropped the bike on the clutch side during the test ride. When I got it home, I noticed that 2 of the blinkers were barely holding on at the mounting points. I saved the factory connectors and bulbs, but tossed the housing/stalks as they were pretty much not salvageable.

I recently found these on ebay that seem to have the same mounting system as the factory blinkers instead of the bolt/screw style the cheap LED blinkers use.

ebay Versys blinkers?

Does anyone have any experience with these?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou83 View Post
That is my current solution with my 11 dollar amazon LED blinkers. When I got my 2009 V, it was missing the rear brake side signal and I dropped the bike on the clutch side during the test ride. When I got it home, I noticed that 2 of the blinkers were barely holding on at the mounting points. I saved the factory connectors and bulbs, but tossed the housing/stalks as they were pretty much not salvageable.

I recently found these on ebay that seem to have the same mounting system as the factory blinkers instead of the bolt/screw style the cheap LED blinkers use.

ebay Versys blinkers?

Does anyone have any experience with these?
the mounts look the same but i think the wire plugs are different but wouldnt be very hard to swap

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 PM

I may get a set and see how they work. the set I have now has similar connectors and I just used the factory connectors from my broken OEM signals to connect to the bike. I'd just do the same with these. Basically plug and play for me.

I'm just hoping someone has seen and tried these to know if they fit the factory spots or if you need to have brackets to make it work. The factory blinkers had 2 metal pieces and I think I am missing one. The ones I posted in the link only show one of the pieces needed to attach, but I may be looking at it wrong.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 PM

Garage
I had the exact same problem. I got 4 LED signals for 11 bucks on AliExpress. They were plug and play and are working fine.

Randy
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Got cheap ones form China which looks like stock and have lasted over 2 years. The original front and back all drop off. Bike is always kept in cover..the rubber seems not to last..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...848685593.html

GOOD LUCK.
onewizard and NightRider like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode