Miles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Miles

How many miles can I expect to put on my V before I start to have problems. I use this for a commuter and I will probably put between 16k-20k a year on the bike. Is there anyone here who has 40K or 50k or more on thier V? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 PM

I don't have that many miles on this bike yet but I have on some others. It's a tough question and there's probably not a definite answer. The important thing of course is to keep up on all the maintenance and especially fluid changes. Keep everything lubed and adjusted and things should be good for a long time. I remember years ago when a bike was considered washed up at around 30k miles but these days 80k - 100k or more can be expected from all the decent models. Water cooling has probably been the most important improvement but other material and design changes have contributed as well. I fully expect to have my V for 100k miles before looking to replace it. YMMV

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

I have 27K miles in 2 years and no issues. But I don't commute in it, mainly long trips. Runs like a top.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Iv'e put almost 30,000 on mine. Spent a kings ransom on tires and fuel. Outside normal maintance, no problems. Switched a couple of shims around to keep the valves happy and It's on its second chain and sprockets.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

thanks

Thanks for the replies guys
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 05:56 AM

Its still a relatively recent bike
so theres not a clear unambiguous record
theres quite a few Versys's that have doen 40..50,000 miles, not many more than that
one UK based on deid aroudn 65,000 before choking, however those were down to electrical problems which could be minimised by taking some good precautions

protect the connectors (especially the ones to the Rectifier) with some di-electric silcone grease/lube)
check the wiring harness especially under the tank and around the head stock for signs of wear.

mechanically it seems pretty reliable

the ignition switch can have problems over time again often due to water ingress, presumably when left outside
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:48 AM

25K and no problems. I too have had the valves adjusted, replaced the chain and sprockets. I do very regular oil changes. Plenty of tires! Commute daily. No problems!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:39 PM

Good miles so far. . .

Hey guys. I am approaching 42K Miles and recently replaced the chain and sprockets after 41K Miles. I keep the oil changed at every 2K miles and may need the valves adjusted again. Otherwise this has been a very good first bike. Let you know how the valve adjustment goes. May do that one myself.

Cheers!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Reaching 40K and due for 1st major service.
Besides the normal wear/tear and replacements, happy to report the V engine and major components have been trouble free.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 12:29 AM

I just turned 10k on my green 09' yesterday. I'm wondering how many miles I should expect from the motor and the major chassis bits? The original tires lasted me 5k and the Brigestone BT021r have given me another 5k. I ride hard and they work well. I'll buy another set for the price.

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 PM

I've been wondering about this question too as I've just turned 31k on my 08 with no problems other than routine maintenance. I've been toying with the idea of trading up to a new bike just to avoid dealing with problems down the road, but with this many miles on the bike, I may just ride on, and hope for the best.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode