Versys - "What is it?" & Adventure Ride Malaysia to London - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys - "What is it?" & Adventure Ride Malaysia to London

Was searching versys as adventurer and found a couple of articles that I have not seen linked here nor ran across before.

Here's an editorial from '08 describing what a versys really is, and opinions about what it should be used for and how it should be setup. I found it interesting, perhaps some here will too. Found myself agreeing to and relating to much of what was said. Similar riding style I guess.
http://verlenelson.com/Motorcycles/versys/index.html

Here's a recent thread on 4 versys riders adventuring across 18 countries in 62 days. Another interesting read, particularly because it's all foreign countries:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593811

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 AM

Great articles and thank for bringing them up.

The bike does not fit into a niche. More importantly is the fact that it is just fun to ride. If you have the time, experience and desire, you could try almost anything on this bike.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 AM

thanks on links CJ

that editorial does ring a bell - and those mayalisan guys are certified brass balls crazy

and funny enough just yesterday i came out of a restaurant at lunch and there were two guys looking at the bike.

first guy "what is it . . . i mean whats it for?"
second guy "its a dirt bike"
first guy "dude, you need new tires there frkn bald"

they went back and forth for a bit while i put my gear on, then i offered this; its similar to a supermoto but its born out of a street bike rather than a dirt bike. then i went on to explain supermoto and etc etc. and as was well in the end but they still seemed really unsettled by the whole thing.

now, someone jump in here and tell me im not crazy but supermoto was on tv when i was a kid. not exactly when dinosaurs roamed the earth but it sure as sh!t was before cable tv was established and way way the hell before the web. so where have people been - to me not knowing supermoto is like not knowing what an apple is

anyways, not the first time its gone like that. its funny how you end up being a spokes person for whatever your on at the time. personally i feel like who gives a poop about categories - just ride the thing

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 AM

There was racing similar to supermoto, where the inside of a short track was used, with one jump, and the riders used about half of the oval. They had these races during the intermissions of the flat track racing, I thought they were called TT racing but I could be wrong. I dont believe supermoto racing was ever on TV before cable.

-------------------------------------------------

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 AM

Thanks CJ, good stuff. I agree with the first article, I call it a big super moto bike when people are asking me what the hell is it? that was my first impression of the bike anyway.

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 09-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
what a versys really is, and opinions about what it should be used for and how it should be setup.
The quote below is part of what the V does to me, what I find alluring about the V cannot really be put into words, but I have this set of feelings and expectations that are simply intangible, and I will be pursuing the V into having Adventures as a Bike that it is not supposed to have....because its just a Sport Tourer.....

Motorcyclist magazine says weight is:
(tank full/empty) 457/427 lbs.
This is nearly 100 lbs. more than a KTM 690SM and only about 15 lbs. less than a dl650 V-Strom. Feel is another thing: it feels 100 pounds lighter than a V-Strom (partly because it is much smaller and nimble) and nearly as light as the KTM 690SM

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSabre View Post
There was racing similar to supermoto, where the inside of a short track was used, with one jump, and the riders used about half of the oval. They had these races during the intermissions of the flat track racing, I thought they were called TT racing but I could be wrong. I dont believe supermoto racing was ever on TV before cable.
yea youre right on there - it was supermoto oldschool i guess.

i remember specifically seeing it on "wide world of sports". it was on sunday afternoons only, and only once in a great while was there anything about bikes let alone supermoto stuff. we got 3 channels back then, (broadcast).

did a quick search - shoulda done that in the first place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoto

and, just for laughs . . . adventure touring ? there is no such thing er nobody agrees on it anyway -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_touring
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Hey, good stuff.

BTW, the wiki article left out 'super motard'. From what I know that's where the term 'supermoto' came from, now it's just 'sumo' or 'SM'.

Good buddy of mine is a bit of a sumo king, turning all his old dirtbikes into motards. A KDX, and XR350, and a GasGas EC250 are three of the bunch. Pics on request. He has a vintage gilera in parts, and an Aprilia 50 SM that he rides on side streets to work. I think there are 18 bikes in his garage and a couple in the livingroom. Yeah, he's single.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
I think there are 18 bikes in his garage and a couple in the livingroom. Yeah, he's single.

ah the single life, he's into it eh ? - i cant live with that kind of accumulation anymore, i drives me nuts. but hey, more power to him
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 PM

what we refer to as Super Moto here in the US is know as Super Motard in Europe. I think the races on wide world of sports was Super bikers and pitted the best from Road Racing, Flat Track and Motocross. Most of the time it was the Motocross guys dominating the event. I know our own Danny (Magoo) Chandler (CR500 Honda) won a few of those races. I believe it was Steve Wise won several too (CR500 Honda) Both Motocross guys and Steve Wise went on to do some road racing

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 09-23-2010 at 09:09 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 PM

Wow...I remember watching those races back in the day and had entirely forgotten about them until this thread. Thanks for the memories!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
I think the races on wide world of sports was Super bikers and pitted the best from Road Racing, Flat Track and Motocross.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
what we refer to as Super Moto here in the US is know as Super Motard in Europe. I think the races on wide world of sports was Super bikers and pitted the best from Road Racing, Flat Track and Motocross. Most of the time it was the Motocross guys dominating the event. I know our own Danny (Magoo) Chandler (CR500 Honda) won a few of those races. I believe it was Steve Wise won several too (CR500 Honda) Both Motocross guys and Steve Wise went on to do some road racing

Donn
very cool detail - i only knew it in generalities

awesomeness

funny how media changes, it looks like a 50's drivers ed film compared to today
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 10:22 AM

Sadly Danny Magoo Chandler passed away this year do to complications with his paralysis. I believe he was 50 years young.

Donn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode