• 6 Post By Bug Dr.
  • 2 Post By silviefox
  • 4 Post By aklew
  • 1 Post By Green Streak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sell my versys?

I understand this may be the wrong forum to ask this as the response may be biased, but am i crazy to want to replace my V with a kawi concours?

My dad bought a new bike and will be selling his old one. 02 kawi concours 40k miles. I have 09 versys 13k miles.

I like the full faring of the Connie, and the hard bags, but I can't get out to ride much lately as I have young children. I mostly commute on the V (3 miles thru city).

Should I abandon the fun factor for greater touring ability a few times a year? Have I lost my mind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I just traded in my FJR liked it because of the wind protection, shaft drive, power and brakes. Main issue not comfortable for me and its a pain to work on because of all the plastic you have to remove. Heavy and the gas mileage about mid-30's. If you were going to do a lot of highway miles yes since you don't why bother unless you just want something different...
aklew, BEACHBUM and jowankermuch like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:21 AM

Since its your dads, why not see if he will let you borrow it for a few weeks or longer if able, with the understanding you are responsible for it entirely.. Then see if the bike makes sense to you.
aklew likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I rode a C1000 Concours for a few years. I eventually sold it because it was so heavy and wanted something lighter. I replaced it with a VFR750 which I enjoyed a lot more.

The Concours is a great bike, and if it doesn't feel too heavy for you then maybe it's a good fit. It's not super-smooth, but if you are coming from a gen1 or gen2 Versys then it'd probably feel about the same or smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Since its your dads, why not see if he will let you borrow it for a few weeks or longer if able, with the understanding you are responsible for it entirely.. Then see if the bike makes sense to you.
This is a really good idea. My friend just bought a C1000 Concours and I suggested this same thing to him. He borrowed the bike for a Saturday morning and went on an extended test ride. Then purchased it.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I like the idea of borrowing it before buying it. That would probably make the decision clear. I wish I had hard bags for the V, but mine are soft and a PITA to install so I don't use them. Same story with my tank bag. I hate strap style tank bags. Unfortunately, I would spend as much on bags, a seat and windshield as I would on the Connie
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I ride with a buddy who has a connie with over 60K, and he also has two older 750 Honda's. In all the short day rides we have done (100), and the longer weekend trips (10), he has only brought the big girl once. Still keeping it for posterity sake, but echo's the same sentiments mentioned above about size.
aklew likes this.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:57 PM

Garage
Unless the trip is all on superslab I would rather the Versys.

Keep looking for used hard bags.

I am just back last month from 8,000 kms / 5,000 miles on the V and did 650 kms yesterday - no problems

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:14 PM

Garage
in the past I've owned two large sport-touring bikes (ST 1300 and R1200RT). They are great for travelling long distances with a heavy load while still offering some sporty characteristics. I took both bikes on multi-week tours that consisted of 7-8K miles each trip. While they are nice, they are not necessary. Recently, I started really working on packing lighter and smaller to lighten my load and increase my touring pleasure. Part of that process was moving to a smaller sport-touring bike....the Versys 650 LT. I've put 7,500 miles on the little V since I bought it in May and have taken her to 15 states. I don't feel like I have given anything up by not owning a larger sport-tourer. In fact, I think I have gained in areas like economy, nimbleness and overall fun.

I guess I have said all of that to say: if you are not planning on long multi-state trips I wouldn't own a Connie or any other larger sport-tourer. In fact, I can't think of any reason to own one at all.......so I don't.

But, that is rational thinking and sometimes bikes don't have anything to do with being rational. Life is short.......own the bike(s) that make you happy and everything else be damned. I only have ONE person to please........me.
Mike
aklew, BEACHBUM, outdoorgb and 3 others like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:46 PM

I would say no because that's an ugly B***h .
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
I would say no because that's an ugly B***h .
Well, the Versys isnt a beauty queen!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Well, the Versys isnt a beauty queen!
beauty is in the eye of the beholder =p
aklew and ronheater70 like this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder =p
fixed it
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
beauty is in the eye of the beholder =p
Yea im kinda partial to it, I like the non-uniform look. I like it better than the 15's.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Yea im kinda partial to it, I like the non-uniform look. I like it better than the 15's.
same here, when sylvester finally dies ill opt for a heart transplant (motor swap) befor i choose to replace it with another bike just due to its awesomeness... first gen for life =p

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:41 AM

I have owned a Kawasaki Concours and I now own a '15 Versys 650.

First off, I know that there are a lot of Concours owners out there that love their bikes, and I am not trying to offend them. This is just my opinion:

I like the Versys better in every way. The Versys is lighter, more nimble, quieter, better brakes, better handling, more comfortable.

The Concours had a large amount of engine noise which drove me crazy. The brakes were adequate, but my Versys brakes are much better.
The Concours bodywork was a PITA to remove, the Versys is relatively easy.
If you are going to put the Concours on the centerstand, you better look like Schwarzenegger. It is very heavy and a B***ch to put on the stand.
The Concours is very heavy to maneuver when pushing out of parking spaces. You will learn to back into parking spaces when you park.
The Concours was heavy handling and does not remotely compare to the Versys.
I found the Versys engine to be smoother and less vibey than the Concours.
The Concours is a mile wide with its cases on. The Versys 650LT is much narrower.

I agree with the other posters about riding the Concours first. I predict that you will decide to keep your Versys and it will not take you long to decide.
Urbanengineer likes this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 06:15 AM

I moved to my 09 Versys from a 99 Connie. Loving it. The Concours was a good bike, just too heavy. Guys that I know with 2nd gen Concours's love them. I would like to ride one, but I'll stick with my Versys.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklew View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I like the idea of borrowing it before buying it. That would probably make the decision clear. I wish I had hard bags for the V, but mine are soft and a PITA to install so I don't use them. Same story with my tank bag. I hate strap style tank bags. Unfortunately, I would spend as much on bags, a seat and windshield as I would on the Connie
You can make the Versys a capable light tourer. Just look at the ride threads in my signature.

I wouldn't go back to carburetors if I had the choice.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:58 AM

This is my experience with that bike. My friend even put about 3K into upgrades to get 17" tires, fancier brakes/calipers, and comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post

First off, I know that there are a lot of Concours owners out there that love their bikes, and I am not trying to offend them. This is just my opinion:

I like the Versys better in every way. The Versys is lighter, more nimble, quieter, better brakes, better handling, more comfortable.

The Concours had a large amount of engine noise which drove me crazy. The brakes were adequate, but my Versys brakes are much better.
If you are going to put the Concours on the centerstand, you better look like Schwarzenegger. It is very heavy and a B***ch to put on the stand.
The Concours is very heavy to maneuver when pushing out of parking spaces. You will learn to back into parking spaces when you park.
The Concours is a mile wide with its cases on. The Versys 650LT is much narrower.

I agree with the other posters about riding the Concours first. I predict that you will decide to keep your Versys and it will not take you long to decide.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post

You are comparing apples and oranges. Of course the Concours is heavy, of course it involves a lot of effort to get naked. Of course handling is different. That does not take anything away from the Concours. You must have not ridden the Concours the way it was intended: on long tours. (BTW, I ride a V650).

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode