Seeking suggestions, route planning with Android - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Seeking suggestions, route planning with Android

When planning a ride with a group of people it would be nice to be able to mark a route out online with Google maps or similar and then download the file to my Android device.

I've tried this previously but had issues. What software is best for this? If possible I would like to do the route planning on my computer with 21inch monitor. Problem is I want a route taking back roads which is not usually the fastest route from A to B.

Related note: This last weekend found my LG G3 phone overheats and then shuts down when running Google maps for a while in the phone pocket on my tank bag. Think I may switch back to using my Ram XMount system to keep it running cooler, only issue is it blocks the site line to my bike's dash when I do this. Anyone else experience overheating issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
When planning a ride with a group of people it would be nice to be able to mark a route out online with Google maps or similar and then download the file to my Android device.

I've tried this previously but had issues. What software is best for this? If possible I would like to do the route planning on my computer with 21inch monitor. Problem is I want a route taking back roads which is not usually the fastest route from A to B.
I've been trying to figure out this problem for years. I've been playing with Rever.co but it's still lacking a lot. But you can plan a route on the computer (their website) and then use your phone to navigate that route. The basic version is free but the premium version is $6 a month which I find pretty expensive for what you are getting.

MotoGoLoco is a better web-based route planner, but they don't have an app to route you. Instead you export your route and load that into your TomTom or Garmin, or they now support CoPilot (an android navigation program). But I haven't had good luck getting the exported routes to load properly into my Garmin Zumo or into CoPilot. MotoGoLoco is completely free.

If you use CoPilot you can plan your route directly on the phone, but thats a little tedious of course. And no easy way to share with your buddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Related note: This last weekend found my LG G3 phone overheats and then shuts down when running Google maps for a while in the phone pocket on my tank bag. Think I may switch back to using my Ram XMount system to keep it running cooler, only issue is it blocks the site line to my bike's dash when I do this. Anyone else have this issue?
I just installed the SW-Motech GPS bracket, it goes above the dash. You could mount a ram ball on this and use your x-mount.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Check out RideWithGPS for route planning. I have used it for planning bike and motorcycle routes and it gives you the option to use multiple maps like google, open maps, etc.

I have not used RideWithGPS for turn by turn directions and I have not exported routes from it, but I know that you can export for free. If you want to use it for turn by turn directions you need to subscribe.

https://ridewithgps.com/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I use the following method. I'm old school when it comes to mapping routes, I don't have or use a GPS, one day maybe. This is my method I do with my desktop.
  • Find the area you are riding on google maps, I always choose 'show topography'.
  • Open snipping tool and take a snip of your target area and save, call it whatever the route dictates (i.e.HwyXXX).
  • Open the snip with paint and pencil draw on top of your route to highlight, I use red.
  • Close and save. I then plug my phone in to my PC, transfer to my pics.
I then can pull it up and just look at it on my phone while riding, I use a Ram Mount style holder, phone is a Droid Razr Maxx. Works fine for me. You wind up with something like this when done. The resolution would be better but I had to down size, said it was too large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 552.jpg (82.8 KB, 26 views)

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode