Handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Handguards

So the nip in the morning air is once again upon us. My heated grips work great for keeping one side of my hands warm... the windy side still gets cold.

Any suggestions for some handguards good at blocking the wind? I'm not looking for bark busters and don't really want to have to modify the bar ends for mounting. Was looking at the type that mount with an offset clamp on the inside of the bars only. I like that idea. Only goal is to block some cold winter air.

What has everyone found to mount up the best?

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post
So the nip in the morning air is once again upon us. My heated grips work great for keeping one side of my hands warm... the windy side still gets cold.

Any suggestions for some handguards good at blocking the wind? I'm not looking for bark busters and don't really want to have to modify the bar ends for mounting. Was looking at the type that mount with an offset clamp on the inside of the bars only. I like that idea. Only goal is to block some cold winter air.

What has everyone found to mount up the best?

Thanks, Mike
Powermadd. They are available with a additional wind blocking wing. Here are some pics of them on my bike.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM

Ktm guards work well for me. Easy install. Throw heated grips on and your set.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Silly question but are these purely fro blcking wind and no other purpose? Whats wrong with some decent gloves or do some people live in real real real cold places?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
Silly question but are these purely fro blcking wind and no other purpose? Whats wrong with some decent gloves or do some people live in real real real cold places?
Yes Pennsylvania and New York get REAL REAL REAL COLD. Go farther north and add another REAL.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Powermadd. They are available with a additional wind blocking wing. Here are some pics of them on my bike.
Thanks! I just went to their site to take a look, and that's exactly what I need - more so than the Barkbusters I was planning to get.

Much appreciated tip!

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 AM

4 REALS? Thatīs some cold.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
4 REALS? Thatīs some cold.
Go a little further up, into eastern Ontario, and you can add two REALS to that!

On a bit more serious note: even in the Southeast US, we often get mornings near -10C; good wind protection can make the difference between commuting by bike or by cage. I haven't found the pair of (unheated) winter gloves yet that will work for me, even down here. Every bit of warmth helps, IMO...

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 AM

Garage
to HAWKSHOT99

Which mounting kit did you choose ?
Pic of the mounts ?

LOP
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Yeah I suppose I cannot really appreciate that, here its normally around 10-15 in the winter and even if it does drop it rarely gets to freezing.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 AM

One more question, to Hawkshot: since they use a single-point mount, are the Powermadds stable at road / freeway speeds?
Thanks!

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 AM

I've tried handguards to keep my hands warm. I've discovered two problems with handguards:
1) They block too much air, I can't get enough cooling air in the late afternoon when it gets warmer. In other words, they're hard to adapt to changing conditions.
2) They hit my Givi windscreen, I can't turn full lock, without having to make cutouts in the windscreen, which I think would look funky.

I removed my handguards and bought electric heated gloves instead.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Ascender, I also use the powermadd guards (in the winter) and they are very secure even at several mph over the posted hwy speed. Before I got heated gloves I used heated grips and heavy winter gloves and hippo hands which caught the wind but couldn't push back into the levers due to the solid mounting of the powermadds.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I have "Zetas" on my V. During the cold months I have the plastic guards ON, and when it warms up, I remove 2 screws and the plastic bits, so I get airflow over my hands.
Likewise, I use the stock windshield when it's warm, and change to my modded 'Majesty' shield when it's cold.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
Ascender, I also use the powermadd guards (in the winter) and they are very secure even at several mph over the posted hwy speed. Before I got heated gloves I used heated grips and heavy winter gloves and hippo hands which caught the wind but couldn't push back into the levers due to the solid mounting of the powermadds.
Just what I need to know.

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I've tried handguards to keep my hands warm. I've discovered two problems with handguards:
1) They block too much air, I can't get enough cooling air in the late afternoon when it gets warmer. In other words, they're hard to adapt to changing conditions.
2) They hit my Givi windscreen, I can't turn full lock, without having to make cutouts in the windscreen, which I think would look funky.

I removed my handguards and bought electric heated gloves instead.
I have the Powermadds. They're nice in that they have a removable insert which turns them into a mesh-like guard, so air flows through them (see pics in this post). I have no idea if they would hit a large screen, though (I think I've read a post that says they do?).

The only downside I have so far is that they don't work well with Speedy's mirror extenders, at least on my '08. The mirror post is almost flush with the clutch lever, so I have to add a pile o'washers to raise the extender up.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Why do you not like the bark busters? No mods to install and the total time to set them up was about 20 min.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
Why do you not like the bark busters? No mods to install and the total time to set them up was about 20 min.
The Barkbusters do look good; they're a bit more than what I need, though, both in terms of protection (I'm not doing any meaningful off-roading) and cost. I also like the normal / mesh / extender setup of the Powermadds, which may make it possible to use them year-round.

I just ordered a set yesterday, so I'll find out soon enough...

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
I like the look of the Barkbusters. They look real beefy and will provide protection in a fall. But the Powermadds that I have offer a whole lot more wind protection with the taller insert installed. I am not running single track through the woods needing to block rocks from hitting my hands. I want to block the cold wind.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

I went with these - http://powermadd.com/products/PowerXhandguard.html

They had them at a local shop in Kawa Green, matches the green V nicely.

Took 5 minutes to install. I like the flexible mount, they do move around a bit at speeds but not excessive. They are smaller than Star series but seem good enough to block the wind, and as I found out the other day they work pretty good at keeping my hands dryer in the rain too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode