• 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By unstable_rider
  • 1 Post By TRZ Charlie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Luggage question and some other small stuff

Hello fellow V owners

I'm a new rider, just got my 2011. Versys 650 ABS and I got some questions for you. I'm from Serbia (Central to South-East Europe) which means limited options for gear and stuff... Any help is much appreciated.

I bought it from a dealer used, and it came with SW-Motech Quick-lock Evo rack without side cases. This one:

by products - Luggage Systems - Side Carrier - QUICK-LOCK EVO Side Carrier - SW-MOTECH

Can anyone tell me what side cases can I put on it except SW-Motech (too expensive for me at this time)? Namely I was looking something like Givi Trekker Outback 48L or any other that you can recommend.

Also, what is this on the photo? I don't have a clue?!? I guess it's some king of chain guard?

Thanks in advance for all your replies. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160809_123403.jpg (63.7 KB, 90 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:44 AM

Here's what I have on mine...Givi easy lock....Fairly cheap, and perfect for me...

About $500.00 in all of it

http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products...asylock-system
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160724_090044783_zpsgqxt6th4.jpg (72.8 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by jnor; 08-09-2016 at 12:46 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
Also, what is this on the photo? I don't have a clue?!? I guess it's some king of chain guard?
I think that is a graphite block to lubricate the chain.

Here's a link:
http://www.carbonforbikes.fr/en

Last edited by Jim Nazium; 08-09-2016 at 03:29 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
...Also, what is this on the photo? I don't have a clue?!? I guess it's some king of chain guard?

Thanks in advance for all your replies. Cheers!
Looks like it's there to protect your chain from side impacts. Is it "U" shaped, UNDER your chain? If so, it could be to protect your swingarm from the chain (IF the OEM plastic bit is gone).
Samwise likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Looks like it's there to protect your chain from side impacts. Is it "U" shaped, UNDER your chain? If so, it could be to protect your swingarm from the chain (IF the OEM plastic bit is gone).
Yeah, it's under the chain in a U shape, the chain rides through it or rather in it.

I think that it also could be some kind of "dry lubrication" involved here, but beeing a noob as I am, could be totaly wrong...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

'11 650 ABS

36yo and just starting. It's newer too late, just do it!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Samwise likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Samwise,

WELCOME.

I have the same SW Motech racks you have (but on a 2008). You can mount many different types of cases, luggage or aluminum panniers to those!

Anything for the most part with flat back panels.

I have Holan Nomada aluminum panniers-- you can order them direct from Europe, I got some of my stuff direct from them. You get a lot of quality for the money.

http://holan.pl/en/16-nomada-pro-panniers

Plan B:

If you want quality and function on the cheap, you can hang Pelican cases quite nicely on those SW Motech racks too.

The one's that are the most robust are their Military spec- Pelican Hardigg Storm cases. The one that is a great fit is the IM2600.

Order them WITHOUT the interior foam at about $116 each.

I realize you are not in the USA, but here is a link as an example:

Pelican Storm iM2600 Case No Foam/Divider, Olive Drab IM2600-30000
Samwise likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:47 PM

Garage
To me, that chain guide is to keep the chain from wearing on the swing arm and reduce chain slap.
Samwise likes this.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Wow guys, you're really awesome. Thanks for all the advice!

The bike was imported from Swiss owner and they tend to take care of their bikes really good. So I guess I'll leave that chain guard on. I was considering removing it simply because I haven't seen it on any other V here or elsewhere.

Thank you for all the luggage advise! I guess Givi or Kappa would fit on it as well, it's the stuff available here in Serbia so I'll probably go with something like that. Pelican cases, hard to get imported here...

I have another question about rear sprocket, but I guess it's a topic for Technical Discussion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode