Exhaust Slip-on Recommendation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Exhaust Slip-on Recommendation

Recently relocated to California in Feb, where lane splitting is legal. I didn't really want to add much to my 2014 Versys 650, as it's primarily a commuter bike, however now I'm thinking about a slip on. I'd like to be noticed, primarily while lane splitting, as drivers out here love to switch lanes without looking. I figure that a loud exhaust may help, as the stock exhaust is much too quiet, though I really do like it this way. Any recommendations on a loud slip on that won't break the bank?

ArmyGreens

14 Kawasaki Versys
07 GSXR 750 (Sold)
05 ZX6R (Sold)
01 ZX6R (Rest In Pieces)

“Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way.”
- George S. Patton Jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 PM

Drivers in front of you really can't hear exhaust sounds coming from behind unless it's prohibitively loud. Loud pipes do not save lives, bright colors and situational awareness save lives. Nothing helps if the drivers don't bother to look. Lane splitting is all right just don't do it at any speed faster than you want to crash. Over priced cans will not add any real benefit over stock no matter what the ad copy says. Show me on the dyno at street rpms.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post
Drivers in front of you really can't hear exhaust sounds coming from behind unless it's prohibitively loud. Loud pipes do not save lives, bright colors and situational awareness save lives. Nothing helps if the drivers don't bother to look. Lane splitting is all right just don't do it at any speed faster than you want to crash. Over priced cans will not add any real benefit over stock no matter what the ad copy says. Show me on the dyno at street rpms.
Thank you for the reply! When riding, or driving my vehicle, those with louder pipes I generally can hear behind me, especially at lane splitting speeds when traffic is crawling. At highway speeds, I typically do not lane split, and at those speeds I would agree with you to a certain extent.

ArmyGreens

14 Kawasaki Versys
07 GSXR 750 (Sold)
05 ZX6R (Sold)
01 ZX6R (Rest In Pieces)

- George S. Patton Jr

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
From the close calls I've had while splitting, drivers began to merge into the other lane just before I came in view of their window.. I would assume, though I could be wrong, that a loud pipe, with some revving as I pass through the lanes, would provide some sort awareness that I'm there, especially if it's beside or close to the vehicle. But eh, I could be wrong!

ArmyGreens

14 Kawasaki Versys
07 GSXR 750 (Sold)
05 ZX6R (Sold)
01 ZX6R (Rest In Pieces)

- George S. Patton Jr
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Since your bikes a 2014 you can't legally put an aftermarket exhaust on it here in Cali. I lane split everyday get a Stebel Horn or something similar........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLx3CN0hoPo

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Heres the part you need....any motorcycle model that is dated 2013 or later or has an aftermarket exhaust system must have an official noise emission label from the Environmental Protection Agency placed on it before it can be lawfully operated or even parked in the state of California.........Motorcycle Exhaust Modifcations On A California Bike

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:28 PM

Garage
When Im sitting in traffic in my truck, and a bike decides to come up through traffic, I dont hear them till they are even with the truck. To late to make a difference.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Since your bikes a 2014 you can't legally put an aftermarket exhaust on it here in Cali. I lane split everyday get a Stebel Horn or something similar........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLx3CN0hoPo
Since I'm military, by bike is registered and titled through a different state.. Would this make a difference, since I'm technically a resident of Illinois?

ArmyGreens

14 Kawasaki Versys
07 GSXR 750 (Sold)
05 ZX6R (Sold)
01 ZX6R (Rest In Pieces)

- George S. Patton Jr
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGreens View Post
Since I'm military, by bike is registered and titled through a different state.. Would this make a difference, since I'm technically a resident of Illinois?
Then your okay. Some vendors won't ship an exhaust to Cali. If you run up against that just have it shipped to someone you know in a different state and have them ship it to you.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was actually looking at horns last week, and came across the Denali horns. Will look into this one too, thank you!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGreens View Post
I was actually looking at horns last week, and came across the Denali horns. Will look into this one too, thank you!

I just mounted mine on that little tab next to the top of the engine....Bought the additional wiring kit with a relay to make it super simple to hook up.

IMG_0009 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0769 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:49 PM

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:51 AM

The mivv exhaust sounds really nice and is made of titanium for a bad azz price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode