Clunk coming from front end. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clunk coming from front end.

I have a moderately loud clunking sound coming from my front end when I hit bumps/potholes. I had the tires replaced several hundred miles ago so I'm thinking something might be loose although the sound seems to be coming from around the guage/plastic cluster area. The bike has been handling great otherwise. I'm planning on having the shop look at it tomorrow if I can't figure it out.

I've removed the fairings and windshield assembly and that didn't help. The bike has 83xx miles and it dosen't seem to be the common fairing buzz that many complain of.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Parked and at stand still, if you turn the handle bar full turn either way do you get any unusual sound.

or if you can lift free the front then you might rule out bearing damage to the front handle bar, other than that I dont think there is anything that can cause the sound on bumps.

How is your suspension acting on normal run.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. Turning the wheel lock to lock does not produce any unusual sounds. I don't have any stands yet so I can't lift the front wheel. The bike is running better than it ever has; put on Avon Storm tires and can't say a bad thing about them.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

when is the last time you checked your chain tension and some age and km of your bike please.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Around 13,300 KM. Just checked the chain tension, the shop tightned it up but It dosen't seem overly tight to me. I'm planning on buying stands shortly so I can start doing more of the basic maintenance and wheel installation, removal myself.

How tight is the front brake assembly susposed to be to the rotor? Forgot to mention it earlier but they seem loose. Braking seems to be unaffected. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye5782 View Post
Around 13,300 KM. Just checked the chain tension, the shop tightned it up but It dosen't seem overly tight to me. I'm planning on buying stands shortly so I can start doing more of the basic maintenance and wheel installation, removal myself.

How tight is the front brake assembly susposed to be to the rotor? Forgot to mention it earlier but they seem loose. Braking seems to be unaffected. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Front brake assembly should tight and secured with no free movement except for the pads under pressure.
If it lose , tighten it soonest possible and dont ride with lose fittings on brake assembly. Maybe that's your problem and no trouble at all and you are welcomed.

Hope you sort out your problem and keep posted.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Check if your steering stem is loose - sit on your V, hold the front brake ON and push forward and back on the handle bars to see if it clunks. (If loose you'll have several degrees of fore-and-aft movement available.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Tried tightning brake assembly; don't think thats the problem as all bolts were tight.

fasteddie- Did what you suggested and no clunks. When pushing forward the suspension nosedived and when pulling the front tire skidded backwards.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 PM

I'm having the same problem, I just had it serviced, it did not do it before that, I only have about 900 miles on it also. I have not had a chance to see what may be causing it, I'll post if I find anything.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Is there anything in the front fork that might be the issue? Try pushing the front down and up at a standstill and check for the noise.

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Check the pins that the calipers slide on. The mounting bolts may be tight, but if the pins lack grease, then the calipers have enough movement on the pins to make some noise. I just went through this with mine.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye5782 View Post
Tried tightning brake assembly; don't think thats the problem as all bolts were tight.

fasteddie- Did what you suggested and no clunks. When pushing forward the suspension nosedived and when pulling the front tire skidded backwards.
Why not just get your front brake assembly serviced to rule out any lose fitting internally.

Only other part is the steering stern which i dont think is your problem.Suspension fork dont make that noise you said.

Keep posted and
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 AM

Reviving this old thread as I'm having the same problem.

Doesn't seem to have been a resolution.

Mine is an '11 with just over 1k miles. Recently there's a "clunk" when hitting bumps. It clearly sounds like it's coming right from the dash area. It's quite a prominent sound. Has to be a pretty significant, sharp bump for it to happen though.

Have recently checked all the things mentioned in this thread when doing the 600 mi service and all is good.

Yesterday had the front almost completely apart, all but the headlight assembly. Put some foam behind the IP. It had some at the bottom but none at the top, thought for sure that had to be it, but no.

Did anyone find a resolution to this?

thnx,
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Reviving this old thread as I'm having the same problem.

Doesn't seem to have been a resolution.

Mine is an '11 with just over 1k miles. Recently there's a "clunk" when hitting bumps. It clearly sounds like it's coming right from the dash area. It's quite a prominent sound. Has to be a pretty significant, sharp bump for it to happen though.

Have recently checked all the things mentioned in this thread when doing the 600 mi service and all is good.

Yesterday had the front almost completely apart, all but the headlight assembly. Put some foam behind the IP. It had some at the bottom but none at the top, thought for sure that had to be it, but no.

Did anyone find a resolution to this?

thnx,

Budget suspensions just do this sometimes. My Wee Strom did it, my ZR750 did it and my FJR did it. My Versys doesn't...yet. Once you've ruled out loose wheel nuts, loose head bearings and loose brake parts, pretty much all that is left is the suspension. If you typically only get the clunk when you hit a sharp bump, that is very likely what it is. I just lived with it. There are fixes, but they aren't cheap.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 PM

I have an 2012 and have noticed a 'clunk' on large bumps. It sounds ike it is around the instrument cluster and not suspension related. I took all the plastics off to tighten up the instrument cluster (first time i wished i had a naked Versys!) but it didnt make any difference. I suspect that maybe the cabling running up the left side is involved as the noise seems to come from that area but there is nothing obviously loose. It is not bad enough to make me pull the bike apart again so for now I'm treating the noise as a 'bump indicator'.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 PM

I've owned a few bikes with inexpensive suspension parts. Most of those would be damper rod forks. I've never had one just start making a clunk noise over bumps. If I did, I'd never just live with it. Forks are too important not to fix. The Versys fork parts are reasonably priced as well, so if it were the forks, no excuses.

Clunks from the brake calipers, forks, and triple clamps would all be felt through the handlebars. That should be your first indicator. After verifying the caliper mount bolts are indeed torqued, then vigorously pumping the front end up and down with the front brake applied would be the first way to replicate. Getting the front wheel off the ground is also another good check. Have a friend pull the weight of the bike onto the side stand and rear wheel. With the front off the deck, grab the forks and start shaking. If there's any movement, then you need to retorque the steering head. If you've been clunking for awhile your races are probably dented, in which case you replace the steering head bearings.

If that aint the problem, then go on a ride over some potholes or sharp edged bumps so the front end has to react with high speed damping. If it clunks then you may have fork problems. It is possible the damper cartridges are loose and smacking the fork bottoms, though this is unlikely, as you would also have a high probablility of fork oil leeking out the bottom of the fork. The other fork possibility is the bushings are worn and you have considerable clearance between the fork tube and slider, though this is also usually preceded by oil getting past the seals. Really though, unless somebody has recently been into the forks and reassembled them incorrectly, there's not much reason for the forks to get noisy.

Another option particular to the Versys is the handlebar mount itself. Check that all four bolts are tight against the upper triple clamp. Again, you'd think you'd feel that clunk in the handbars.

Now, tell us what the real problem was.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:04 AM

Wow that's some great input guys, really. anyone seriously taking a few to help figure this out is much appreciated.

I'm with Begbiie (very funny - bump indicator ) in the sense that it really, clearly, almost 100% obviously, seems to be coming right from where the instrument cluster is.

And I agree with the assessment you guys have made, if it was the front suspension or brake parts, you'd certainly think the handlebars would be transferring that vibration and you would feel it there.

It's a mystery now. But after getting some work cleared out planning to look more at it. Maybe take some thing off, test ride. Take more things off, test ride. etc etc until it becomes clear. One way to do it I guess...

thanks again everyone, appreciate the help.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Not sure if this is of any help but when I'm slow riding (like, parking/pushing the bike around) there is a clunking sound from the front end. More of a creaking sound I guess, not a sharp loud clunk. There is no feeling through the bars, just an odd sound every now and then.

I had the bike in for her 24000km service and mentioned it to the mechanic. The verdict? Perfectly normal sound to be heard from the brakes! Nothing wrong, perfectly normal!

I was sure the SHB was on its way out but no, its all good.

My bike is a 2008 with, like I said around 26000km.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode