Clutch cable blues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clutch cable blues

On Friday my wife and I set out on what was supposed to be a 4-day weekend trip. Our first 2-up overnight trip on the 2008 V that I got (used) in November.

Friday evening, trolling around a town looking for a motel, I pulled in the clutch and felt it "give" a little. I knew immediately what was wrong; the clutch cable was coming apart.

I pulled over and checked it out. Yep, loose strands of cable at the lever. It was going fast.

We chose to continue on as best we could, shifting without the clutch. We headed toward Sacramento and got a motel a few miles away, but close to the freeway.

On Saturday morning I called around to 3 Kawasaki dealers. No one had a cable and no one would attempt a repair (something you could get done in the old days).

Since I had an unknown number of clutch pulls before it went completely, we decided to go home. I drove about 150 miles, into our driveway with one pull of the clutch (because we stopped to add clothes when the weather changed). I had tried to only use the clutch to start from a stop, and tried to catch neutral if I had to stop (that didn't always work). Once underway, all shifts done clutchless, and a couple of stop signs that I "cruised" through.

Anyway, my advice is: Lube that cable, and grease up the barrel at the lever. Also carry a spare.

Otherwise, it can ruin a perfectly good vacation. As it was, we had a nice 2-day 500 mile trip. It wasn't all bad.

And I did a forum search for "clutch cable". This also happened to someone else last month, so it's not just me, although I'm the one who didn't lube the cable.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2611.JPG (378.1 KB, 394 views)

Last edited by michael95453; 09-19-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM

Great the you got home without a major hassle. Long way to ride without the clutch. I had it happen on my wifes bike at Bikeweek. Same problem, could not get a replacement. Had to drive my truck back from Tampa to pick the bike up and fix it at home. I have a new one for her bike, I am putting on this week before Biketoberfest. I am ordering a spare this week for me.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM

I always carry an extra clutch lever and cable. Learned that the hard way up in the mountains of Colorado.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 PM

How many miles did you get out of the cable ?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry View Post
How many miles did you get out of the cable ?
The bike has about 18,000 miles on it. 9500 I've put on since November. It is almost 3 years old.

I don't think you can say any specific amount of miles is a factor. Maintenance, weather, urban or rural, etc. has more to do with it than miles.

Michael
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 AM

Garage
Any idea where I can get one for

Kawasaki : kle650a7f Canada only (2007)

I believe it is part number 54011-0058

The online parts stores either say "call" or skip the part for my year

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Anyway, my advice is: Lube that cable, and grease up the barrel at the lever. Also carry a spare.

Thanks for sharing and the advice and will keep in mind.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:21 AM

Here's where I bought my clutch cable:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/41026

CABLE-CLUTCH 54011-0082 $18.05 US Dollars

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 AM

All the HD Sportster riders used to carry an "end barrel" that had a set screw to anchor the broken end to it. Not sure if HD dealers still stock, but it is sure easier to carry than a spare cable assembly.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM

I bought a spare and keep in in my top box just because I have seen a few threads like this. I haven't looked at it in much detail but it can't be that different than any other cable. Guessing that you could just get any cable they had that was long enough and make it work in a pinch.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:22 PM

When in dire need, I've scavenged bicycle brake or shift cables off of anyone who will let me at there bike.
You can get barrel cable stops at any hardware store that will fit both ends at the levers. Very small to carry, cheap and can save a real hassle trying to find the exact cable at any given time.
You just need to find a cable that will fit inside the housing and is long enough.

My simple fix to get the bike back on the road.

I've ridden over 200 miles with a skinny, little shifter cable, operating it normally with no failure.

Last edited by Toddzilla; 09-20-2010 at 05:25 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Now that I'm back home I repaired it with the inside cable from an airhead BMW clutch cable I had lying around. I had to do a little grinding on the lever end to get it to all fit together, and made a new clutch end by drilling a hole through a brass screw head and soldering it on.

It seems to work. I've ordered a new cable and will keep my "fixed" one as a spare that I will keep on the bike someplace. (Of course, I will never need it!)

Michael
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM

Sounds like a good fix. Glad you can ride until the new cable gets there. I ordered mine today for future trips.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM

when I brought my new V home I went over it, checking fasteners and stuff, I pulled the clutch cable from the lever and lubed it. Just recently I looked at how it was routed and it made some real tight bends and when turning the bars it would take up the play in the cable so I rerouted it. I bought a spare and keep it under the seat. You can route the spare along side the cable in use as well so it's ready to go should you need it.

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 10-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
Here's where I bought my clutch cable:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/41026

CABLE-CLUTCH 54011-0082 $18.05 US Dollars

Does anyone know if there is a difference between 2007 & 2008 as the '07 part number is part number 54011-0058?

Thanks

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Postscript to CCB: I got my new cable today and installed it. My plan is to carry my "fixed" old cable as a spare for emergency purposes.

When I went to put the old cable under the seat, I found that it fits quite neatly starting at one side cover, up one side, across the back, down the other side, ending in the other side cover. It takes up zero space in this location. It seems like it was made to ride there.

I added one ziptie to the middle of the back securing it to the wires that run across the back. I'm not even sure that was necessary, but I didn't want it to try to escape someplace down the road.

I thought I'd pass on this little tip.

Michael
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 PM

UNDER THE SEAT! WOW, WHO A THOUGHT OF THAT!

Donn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hugger project 001.jpg (376.0 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg Hugger project 002.jpg (389.3 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by Nytrydr; 09-25-2010 at 09:29 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:05 AM

I always carry a couple of generic cables with barrel cable stops for clutch and throttle emergency.
Like these

It's a very cheaper solution: it costs about 1 E.

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Does anyone know if there is a difference between 2007 & 2008 as the '07 part number is part number 54011-0058?

Thanks
Forgive me for reviving this thread, but I'm also desperately wondering this; my clutch cable has never been great ever since I got the bike used (catches, just doesn't pull right) and reoiling it a couple months ago only helped temporarily. I would like to replace it, but every OEM site I check doesn't have the 07 cable listed as bigaussie mentions. Is there any difference in length, etc... with the 08 cable, and will it work? I don't want to spend ~$50 on a cable (cable, plus shipping, plus tax...) only to find it doesn't work correctly
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberx View Post
Is there any difference in length, etc... with the 08 cable, and will it work? I don't want to spend ~$50 on a cable (cable, plus shipping, plus tax...) only to find it doesn't work correctly
I believe there is no difference between 07 and 08 but others will confirm that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode