new owner of a green v - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
new owner of a green v

hello, I just picked up a new 09 green v and the first mod I need to do is the seat! I need to ask, do any of you guys slide forward on the seat to the tank while riding? for me I keep sliding forward and I have to push myself back up, the seat it is very uncomfortable for me and I need to flatten it so to speak so I don't slide forward. Dont wanna spend big bucks for a new seat and not even know how its gonna feel. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, some people have problems sliding forward but have never had that problem myself, mostly ride with balls of my feet on footpegs. Some of the guys have made some mods to the seat and they may chime in.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:09 AM

Just bought a Corbin Seat

I too have a new 09 Green Versys; I have 503 miles on it. I had a real issue w/ the seat, sliding forward, I was going numb after 20 mins, etc. So i broke down and bought the Corbin Seat.. cost me 398.00 after the dealer gave me a 10% discount. I was worried about 2 things.. many of the posts said that the seat does not fit properly and that you'd need to use washers under the rear latch to make it fit, and that the seat was too firm. Well, I'm pleased to report that the seat fit perfectly the first time with no issues, and yes, it is firm, but it offers a different and way better level of support than the stock seat. I took the bike on a 30 min ride yest, and I felt great, the sliding forward issue is almost completely gone and I felt like I could ride the whole day. It really does make a real difference. Also, the stock seat is so cheap... the Corbin is made really well, is much heavier and a much better looking seat. I think Kawasaki could learn something from Corbin; that seat belongs on that bike.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 AM

I did at first but after riding it for a while is now o/k and i no longer have this problem

2010 versys
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Welcome, some people have problems sliding forward but have never had that problem myself, mostly ride with balls of my feet on footpegs.
when i first saw this i said out loud "yea man me too !, sliding forward and sitting on your nads is the WORST" . . . . then i saw i miss read it - oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOM3600 View Post
I too have a new 09 Green Versys; I have 503 miles on it. I had a real issue w/ the seat, sliding forward, I was going numb after 20 mins, etc. So i broke down and bought the Corbin Seat.. cost me 398.00 after the dealer gave me a 10% discount. I was worried about 2 things.. many of the posts said that the seat does not fit properly and that you'd need to use washers under the rear latch to make it fit, and that the seat was too firm. Well, I'm pleased to report that the seat fit perfectly the first time with no issues, and yes, it is firm, but it offers a different and way better level of support than the stock seat. I took the bike on a 30 min ride yest, and I felt great, the sliding forward issue is almost completely gone and I felt like I could ride the whole day. It really does make a real difference. Also, the stock seat is so cheap... the Corbin is made really well, is much heavier and a much better looking seat. I think Kawasaki could learn something from Corbin; that seat belongs on that bike.
x2 on all of what KBOM3600 is saying - i got a corbin - it is worth every dime, no joke. only thing i would add is that the outer edges of the seat are such that you feel them when you put your feet down - as though its wider, (which im not certain of) either way i went from being flat footed at a stop to slightly higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I did at first but after riding it for a while is now o/k and i no longer have this problem

2010 versys
this is also very true, i almost didnt get the corbin because the sliding thing went away after a while - but about 3 hours of seat time on gravel, washboards, and junky pavement and i was done.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard to both of you!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 AM

Hey Johnnybravo,
I also picked a green 09 today. Rode it for a while and I love it. The first thing I would get it the lowering kit. From what I hear from everybody it make a big difference. The bike ride so great and feels like the best bike I have ever had. It is only a bit too tall for me.
All,
Where is a good place to get the lowering kit? Do you guys think the dealer will install it for me? I don't want to do it myself.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys

Can any of you guys put a pic of your modified seat or a new seat if you bought one? Next is a new wind screen I'm 6'1. My goal is to make it comfy enough to ride to the east coast next spring, I'm in columbus, ohio.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo View Post
hello, I just picked up a new 09 green v and the first mod I need to do is the seat! I need to ask, do any of you guys slide forward on the seat to the tank while riding? for me I keep sliding forward and I have to push myself back up, the seat it is very uncomfortable for me and I need to flatten it so to speak so I don't slide forward. Dont wanna spend big bucks for a new seat and not even know how its gonna feel. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
to the new members and here is a link to seat modification: http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/
Lowering kit for versys; www.motowerk.com
Hope it's of some help.

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 09-19-2010 at 10:32 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:17 PM

eitandavid,

http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx
is a good source for lowering kit, and other products for Versys. Be sure to also get the Flatfoot (for the kickstand) with the lowering kit. They also have mirror extenders which are very useful.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
eitandavid,

http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx
is a good source for lowering kit, and other products for Versys. Be sure to also get the Flatfoot (for the kickstand) with the lowering kit. They also have mirror extenders which are very useful.
Thanks Scotty.
I will put the order in today. How about the installation?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 02:37 PM

The blue ones are faster, handle better, and pull more chicks!

I picked my '09 up at the end of July and at first I was somewhat bothered by the forward slide of the seat. I have just under 4K on the odo now and it doesn't bother me a bit.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post

2010 versys
Same here but I checked down there and found out why. It rubbed my unit off.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM

Welcome aboard guys!!

I paid 395$ for my custom Baldwin saddle, don't slide forward anymore and can ride for 2 hours with no problem. I also am 6'1" and have the foot lowering pegs and 20mm riser for the handlebars, heres a pic of the seat and the bike:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0924.jpg (749.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0952.jpg (965.6 KB, 69 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Can any of you guys put a pic of your modified seat or a new seat if you bought one? Next is a new wind screen I'm 6'1. My goal is to make it comfy enough to ride to the east coast next spring, I'm in columbus, ohio.
Hey Johnny, I'm also 6'1" and was having the exact same probs as you...got my Givi windscreen in a couple of weeks ago which was a huge improvement and my Corbin came in today and I'm happy to report that the nutsmash into the tank is GONE and was worth every penny spent...do yourself a favor and get the Corbin, very nice!

08 Triumph Bonnie Black-modded
08 Kawi Versys-BRIGHT red
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper913 View Post
I'm happy to report that the nutsmash into the tank is GONE and was worth every penny spent...do yourself a favor and get the Corbin, very nice!
x2 - glad youre cured too

"ask your doctor about Corbin. for relief from stock seat induced nut compression."

aka, SSINC
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Got the lowering kit installed today. What a huge difference. This mod makes the bike so much better. Thank you all for the great tip.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Pretty much everyone on the forum has complained at some point about the ball busting seat slide. If the only problem is the forward slide, the cheap fix is to raise the bracket that the front of the seat slides into. $1 for washers at a hardware store is a lot cheaper than a Corbin and will flatten the seat a decent amount without causing any other problems.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode