new owner of a green v - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
new owner of a green v

hello, I just picked up a new 09 green v and the first mod I need to do is the seat! I need to ask, do any of you guys slide forward on the seat to the tank while riding? for me I keep sliding forward and I have to push myself back up, the seat it is very uncomfortable for me and I need to flatten it so to speak so I don't slide forward. Dont wanna spend big bucks for a new seat and not even know how its gonna feel. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
johnnybravo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator
 
kiwi 41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 44.24'S 171.15'E Timaru, NewZealand
Posts: 8,623
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, some people have problems sliding forward but have never had that problem myself, mostly ride with balls of my feet on footpegs. Some of the guys have made some mods to the seat and they may chime in.
kiwi 41 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granby CT
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just bought a Corbin Seat

I too have a new 09 Green Versys; I have 503 miles on it. I had a real issue w/ the seat, sliding forward, I was going numb after 20 mins, etc. So i broke down and bought the Corbin Seat.. cost me 398.00 after the dealer gave me a 10% discount. I was worried about 2 things.. many of the posts said that the seat does not fit properly and that you'd need to use washers under the rear latch to make it fit, and that the seat was too firm. Well, I'm pleased to report that the seat fit perfectly the first time with no issues, and yes, it is firm, but it offers a different and way better level of support than the stock seat. I took the bike on a 30 min ride yest, and I felt great, the sliding forward issue is almost completely gone and I felt like I could ride the whole day. It really does make a real difference. Also, the stock seat is so cheap... the Corbin is made really well, is much heavier and a much better looking seat. I think Kawasaki could learn something from Corbin; that seat belongs on that bike.
KBOM3600 is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I did at first but after riding it for a while is now o/k and i no longer have this problem

2010 versys
stephen is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Member
 
bildhauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Welcome, some people have problems sliding forward but have never had that problem myself, mostly ride with balls of my feet on footpegs.
when i first saw this i said out loud "yea man me too !, sliding forward and sitting on your nads is the WORST" . . . . then i saw i miss read it - oops



Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOM3600 View Post
I too have a new 09 Green Versys; I have 503 miles on it. I had a real issue w/ the seat, sliding forward, I was going numb after 20 mins, etc. So i broke down and bought the Corbin Seat.. cost me 398.00 after the dealer gave me a 10% discount. I was worried about 2 things.. many of the posts said that the seat does not fit properly and that you'd need to use washers under the rear latch to make it fit, and that the seat was too firm. Well, I'm pleased to report that the seat fit perfectly the first time with no issues, and yes, it is firm, but it offers a different and way better level of support than the stock seat. I took the bike on a 30 min ride yest, and I felt great, the sliding forward issue is almost completely gone and I felt like I could ride the whole day. It really does make a real difference. Also, the stock seat is so cheap... the Corbin is made really well, is much heavier and a much better looking seat. I think Kawasaki could learn something from Corbin; that seat belongs on that bike.
x2 on all of what KBOM3600 is saying - i got a corbin - it is worth every dime, no joke. only thing i would add is that the outer edges of the seat are such that you feel them when you put your feet down - as though its wider, (which im not certain of) either way i went from being flat footed at a stop to slightly higher.



Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I did at first but after riding it for a while is now o/k and i no longer have this problem

2010 versys
this is also very true, i almost didnt get the corbin because the sliding thing went away after a while - but about 3 hours of seat time on gravel, washboards, and junky pavement and i was done.
bildhauer is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
 
Bear on a bicycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Converse, Tx
Posts: 4,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Welcome aboard to both of you!



Bear on a bicycle is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Irvine CA
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey Johnnybravo,
I also picked a green 09 today. Rode it for a while and I love it. The first thing I would get it the lowering kit. From what I hear from everybody it make a big difference. The bike ride so great and feels like the best bike I have ever had. It is only a bit too tall for me.
All,
Where is a good place to get the lowering kit? Do you guys think the dealer will install it for me? I don't want to do it myself.
eitandavid is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
thanks for the replys

Can any of you guys put a pic of your modified seat or a new seat if you bought one? Next is a new wind screen I'm 6'1. My goal is to make it comfy enough to ride to the east coast next spring, I'm in columbus, ohio.
johnnybravo is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,037
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo View Post
hello, I just picked up a new 09 green v and the first mod I need to do is the seat! I need to ask, do any of you guys slide forward on the seat to the tank while riding? for me I keep sliding forward and I have to push myself back up, the seat it is very uncomfortable for me and I need to flatten it so to speak so I don't slide forward. Dont wanna spend big bucks for a new seat and not even know how its gonna feel. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
to the new members and here is a link to seat modification: http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/
Lowering kit for versys; www.motowerk.com
Hope it's of some help.


Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 09-19-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Fastoman is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NJ and WV
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
eitandavid,

http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx
is a good source for lowering kit, and other products for Versys. Be sure to also get the Flatfoot (for the kickstand) with the lowering kit. They also have mirror extenders which are very useful.
ScottyNeal is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Irvine CA
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
eitandavid,

http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx
is a good source for lowering kit, and other products for Versys. Be sure to also get the Flatfoot (for the kickstand) with the lowering kit. They also have mirror extenders which are very useful.
Thanks Scotty.
I will put the order in today. How about the installation?
eitandavid is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Member
 
RockyMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The blue ones are faster, handle better, and pull more chicks!

I picked my '09 up at the end of July and at first I was somewhat bothered by the forward slide of the seat. I have just under 4K on the odo now and it doesn't bother me a bit.
RockyMoto is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Member
 
blipco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: boston, MA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I did at first but after riding it for a while is now o/k and i no longer have this problem

2010 versys
Same here but I checked down there and found out why. It rubbed my unit off.
blipco is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbia Missouri
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Welcome aboard guys!!


I paid 395$ for my custom Baldwin saddle, don't slide forward anymore and can ride for 2 hours with no problem. I also am 6'1" and have the foot lowering pegs and 20mm riser for the handlebars, heres a pic of the seat and the bike:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0924.jpg (749.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0952.jpg (965.6 KB, 69 views)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!


2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Randy49 is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: souteastern IL
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo View Post
Can any of you guys put a pic of your modified seat or a new seat if you bought one? Next is a new wind screen I'm 6'1. My goal is to make it comfy enough to ride to the east coast next spring, I'm in columbus, ohio.
Hey Johnny, I'm also 6'1" and was having the exact same probs as you...got my Givi windscreen in a couple of weeks ago which was a huge improvement and my Corbin came in today and I'm happy to report that the nutsmash into the tank is GONE and was worth every penny spent...do yourself a favor and get the Corbin, very nice!

08 Triumph Bonnie Black-modded
08 Kawi Versys-BRIGHT red
pepper913 is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Member
 
bildhauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper913 View Post
I'm happy to report that the nutsmash into the tank is GONE and was worth every penny spent...do yourself a favor and get the Corbin, very nice!
x2 - glad youre cured too


"ask your doctor about Corbin. for relief from stock seat induced nut compression."

aka, SSINC
bildhauer is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Irvine CA
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got the lowering kit installed today. What a huge difference. This mod makes the bike so much better. Thank you all for the great tip.
eitandavid is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Member
 
potus2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorthWest Arkansas
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo View Post
hello, I just picked up a new 09 green v and the first mod I need to do is the seat! I need to ask, do any of you guys slide forward on the seat to the tank while riding? for me I keep sliding forward and I have to push myself back up, the seat it is very uncomfortable for me and I need to flatten it so to speak so I don't slide forward. Dont wanna spend big bucks for a new seat and not even know how its gonna feel. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Pretty much everyone on the forum has complained at some point about the ball busting seat slide. If the only problem is the forward slide, the cheap fix is to raise the bracket that the front of the seat slides into. $1 for washers at a hardware store is a lot cheaper than a Corbin and will flatten the seat a decent amount without causing any other problems.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
potus2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome