Just Demo'd A 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just Demo'd A 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050

I have no intentions of leaving my Versys, I'll say that right off. But I rode today past a Triumph dealer who had a demo day going on. I wanted to try out a Street Triple but other people got to it ahead of me. My brother grabbed the Scrambler so I had to choose between the Rocket III or the Tiger. The Tiger it was. Within one minute of a forty minute ride I'm saying "What a nice bike!" I can see why a lot of Versys owners switch over. It feels like a very powerful, highly refined Versys. (with a suspect seat). It is taller than the V and more top heavy in the parking lot but not a factor on the road. Way faster. Much more plush. Is it worth double what the V can be bought for? Good question. Getting back on the V really helps you answer that question. The V is without a doubt one of the best bangs for the buck out there but I now understand why people make the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Had my eye on a Tiger for a long time, now. It will probably be the bike that I get next. Maybe next year or so. I almost bought a used one awhile back, but the seller changed his mind. I even had a buyer lined up for the Versys. It was going to happen, then he rode it, & remembered why he bought it to begin with. Oh well...

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 05:38 PM

I think it wil be interesting to see how the Tiger 800 works out. not long to go now...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 PM

Tiger

My friend has a 2007 Tiger. He changed the seat first thing - then he lowered it, then he raised it back up. He has over 15,000 miles on it. He loves it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 PM

Blipco wish I was there with you, I would love a chance to ride a bonnie just to see what they are like. I have loved the looks of the bonnie for a while now and wonder how it would compare to the versys. I know its a different style but it would probably be a leading contender for my next bike. Being able to ride one though would definetly let me know if it could be a contender for my beloved versys.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 AM

...why not talk to your nearest Triumph dealer.

in the UK all Triumph dealers have demo bikes, not every bike in the range, if they dont' have it then another dealer nearby will have it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 AM

Yeah, they just had a Triumph demo day in Houston yesterday and friday. I didn't get off work until 4:30 each day, and the last demo ride was at 4:30. What kind of demo day ends at 4:30pm?! I've done both a Yamaha and Kawasaki demo day and both went until 7:00pm. Anyway, I got to sit on a Tiger after it came back from the last demo ride, and it felt good. I don't know the maintenance schedule, but I bet it's more frequent than the Versys. I've also heard that the rear shock on the Tiger is crap from the factory and that Triumph refuses to change it. Needless to say the Tiger is in the same vein as the Versys V-Strom, Multistrada, etc, and will be cross-shopped by more than a few folks.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Blipco wish I was there with you, I would love a chance to ride a bonnie just to see what they are like. I have loved the looks of the bonnie for a while now and wonder how it would compare to the versys. I know its a different style but it would probably be a leading contender for my next bike. Being able to ride one though would definetly let me know if it could be a contender for my beloved versys.
I was at Great Bay in Hampton Beach NH. Give them a call for a demo. I pm'd you my phone #. I finished the day yesterday on my V. Today I rode 300 miles on my KZ1000P and still I'm thinking about the impressive performance of the Tiger 1050. I kept thinking about it from time to time all day. That ain't good. Or is it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Rik

Fit and finish

In the past, I've owned a 99 Thunderbirdsport, a 2000 Speed Triple and a 2001 Adventurer. I love my Versys but have always enjoyed the Triumph line. I always gravitate towards the row of Triumphs when I visit my local shop. My question is thus: Has anyone noticed a disturbing change in fit and finish on the Triumph line since they relocated the factory? I was checking out a brand new 2010 Speed Triple in the showroom recently and noticed some rough engine castings, misaligned bodywork and some questionable wiring/hose routing. Wondering if it was just this unit or are they starting to lose sight of quality control which always seemed to be top notch in the past?

Rik
08 Versys
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
If you like the Bonneville, how about that Kawasaki 800 vertical twin to compete against it? (Can't remember the model...)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Rik

The new "Kawbonnie" is dubbed the W800. as opposed to the W650 yesteryear
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
In the past, I've owned a 99 Thunderbirdsport, a 2000 Speed Triple and a 2001 Adventurer. I love my Versys but have always enjoyed the Triumph line. I always gravitate towards the row of Triumphs when I visit my local shop. My question is thus: Has anyone noticed a disturbing change in fit and finish on the Triumph line since they relocated the factory? I was checking out a brand new 2010 Speed Triple in the showroom recently and noticed some rough engine castings, misaligned bodywork and some questionable wiring/hose routing. Wondering if it was just this unit or are they starting to lose sight of quality control which always seemed to be top notch in the past?

Rik
08 Versys
My concern exactly! And what about inside the motor?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
I think it wil be interesting to see how the Tiger 800 works out. not long to go now...

Montani Semper Liberi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode