Would you? Versys for a Multi - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would you? Versys for a Multi

Would you move from the Versys to a Multistrada 1100S for bike plus $3K? Is this a no brainer, a fair deal or no way? The Versys is an '09 with 3K miles with a pipe and juicebox mods. The Ducati Multi 1100S is an '08 with 2.5K miles with the addition of side cases, no other mods. Let me know what you think. Both bikes have 1 year left on warranty. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 AM

what an odd question?
its your bike/ride
its your decision

if you feel you need for other people to make the decision for you, are you certain you are capable of riding, after all riding is all about making continual decisions.

having done a test ride what difference did you notice between the two bikes?

do you feel you need the extra power the Ducati delivers, how many times have you felt low on power on the Versys.

weigh up the pro's and con's of each bike, as to how they appear to you.

what is the attraction of the Ducati
what is the distraction of the Versys
is the Versys limiting your riding enjoyment, and if so in what ways do you believe the Ducati will plug that hole.

'course if all you are trying to do is find a reason to buy (or not) the Ducati then fine.
but ultimately it is all about you
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM

Your bored...snap out of it! Save your money or go out and buy side cases for your V and call it good. Think about the service cost on the DUC. Ok, feel better now?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Call your local Ducati dealer and see what parts they have in stock. Rumor has it that the parts pipeline for Ducati is slow boat from Italy.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I own one currently and owned the 1000S before (valves were toast) so got rid of it. Having said that, the 1000S is superior to the Versys in every way, of course it is much more expensive, just wondered what folks thought on the value of the difference. If they were both priced the same, this would be a no brainer, I would take the Duc! Thanks for your feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
what an odd question?
its your bike/ride
its your decision

if you feel you need for other people to make the decision for you, are you certain you are capable of riding, after all riding is all about making continual decisions.

having done a test ride what difference did you notice between the two bikes?

do you feel you need the extra power the Ducati delivers, how many times have you felt low on power on the Versys.

weigh up the pro's and con's of each bike, as to how they appear to you.

what is the attraction of the Ducati
what is the distraction of the Versys
is the Versys limiting your riding enjoyment, and if so in what ways do you believe the Ducati will plug that hole.

'course if all you are trying to do is find a reason to buy (or not) the Ducati then fine.
but ultimately it is all about you
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:56 AM

I wouldn't, but that's me. The limited time I have available to devote to motorcycles I prefer to devote to riding them, so for 25+ years I have chosen to ride Japanese marques. In all that time I had one problem: the stator crapped out on a 1989 Honda. Didn't leave me stranded, though I had to push start it a couple times getting home from Vermont. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

People I know who have personal experience with Ducs seem to fall into two categories: current Duc riders who love them despite the expense and hassle of keeping them running, and former Duc riders who had enough of the expense and hassle of keeping them running.

Ride what you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet55947 View Post
I own one currently and owned the 1000S before (valves were toast) so got rid of it. Having said that, the 1000S is superior to the Versys in every way, of course it is much more expensive, just wondered what folks thought on the value of the difference. If they were both priced the same, this would be a no brainer, I would take the Duc! Thanks for your feedback.

So! What do you really want from us? If you have owned Ducís then you know what kind of deal it is. I thought this would be an interesting tread; unfortunately, very boring at best. Heck, I feel goofy for even responding, sorry.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:29 AM

Me thinks this is what they call Trolling

Edit: OK, maybe that was a bit harsh. If your not happy with the V, then definitely look for something else.

Last edited by Tex Vs; 09-16-2010 at 12:24 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 AM

Wow, must be the wrong forum to ask such a question.

I would in a heartbeat. Ducatis are beautiful bikes. Working on them wouldn't bother me in the least. But then for me, the more exotic the more fun. My bikes are for purely sporting use - I don't depend on them for my basic transportation.

I've actually thought about buying one of the left over new ones my local dealer has. They are a couple of years old, no miles, come with full warranty, and are half of a new 1200. The hypermotard is an awesome hooligan bike, and the Monster is a cool streetfighter. I have always been drawn to Ducatis. Their paddock is my favorite place to congregate at the shows and races. A new 1200 is not totally out of the question for me either. Would just have to rearrange some of my 'toys'.

Seems to me the 'S' model has Olins suspension - the best you can get. The motors are pretty solid, but the bikes are known to be a little finicky.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post

People I know who have personal experience with Ducs seem to fall into two categories: current Duc riders who love them despite the expense and hassle of keeping them running, and former Duc riders who had enough of the expense and hassle of keeping them running.

Ride what you like.
well put -

"tough love" is inheirent in many brands - it seems to be part of the attraction

its a pay to play thing (cost of ownership) and its where ever you're comfortable being i guess. i think people are so adaptable that certain features and benefits become invisible over time but overall reliability floats to the top in value or appreciation.

personally, bmw and hd are two brands i wouldn't rush back to try again anytime soon. not knocking them outright - just saying there's a defensiveness and attitude around the brands that doesn't equate their actual quality. maybe it was just bad luck, who knows but both were very expensive lessons of ownership.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Read good things on the multistrada.

However, for bang for the buck bike, the V is great.
Guess what a Multi cost here? RM 140,000 = USD 45,000.

I think for daily maintenance and upkeep, the V would be a bargain. Also, It's a FUN bike.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 PM

I doubt it because when I travel, if I did need a dealer for repair on the road, it it much easier to find parts and help on the V than the Duc.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Since prices vary country to country, let's just check on the price differential.
Brand new, the Multi price is 2.3X higher than a new Versys, that is NOT a good deal. Now after depreciation the Used Multi price is only 1.8X higher than an equivalent used Versys, maybe now not such a bad deal. That is the crux of my question, at what point on price differential does it make sense to buy the Multi in favor of the Versys. That is what I am mulling over. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Read good things on the multistrada.

However, for bang for the buck bike, the V is great.
Guess what a Multi cost here? RM 140,000 = USD 45,000.

I think for daily maintenance and upkeep, the V would be a bargain. Also, It's a FUN bike.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 PM

For the extra money that you pay in purchase, maintenance (desmo valves!) and required premium fuel, the return of "riding a Ducati" would not be sufficient for me.
But then I use my motorcycle to commute, not for my Saturday afternoon kicks, so I am being very rational and calculating about it.

In the end, it is what you desire.
If you really want it, go get it.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 03:16 PM

I commute on the Versys. It's a great bike for urban riding.

Sunday mornings are different, though. They require something a bit more challenging.....

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet55947 View Post
at what point on price differential does it make sense to buy the Multi in favor of the Versys. That is what I am mulling over. Thanks.
on any bike that is even remotely suspect for reliability its probably not worth it because you end up spending more money down the road, sometimes sooner than you think. but as everyone's stated, if the duc puts a smile on your face then there ya are.

my "maybe not such a bad deal" bike cured me with one trip to the dealer . . . . . for a little over 2K in repairs. not doing that again anytime soon but - its luck of the draw, if it didnt puke id still be on it and it would seem like a good deal.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 PM

If I was more wealthy, I would buy the Duc just to fire it up every now and then and listen to it. What a nice sound.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 AM

I faced almost the exact same scenario when I bought my V. The 'contender' was a 620 MS w 12K miles. The owner (a consignment shop) wanted $3K for the bike. It had no maintenance records but looked pretty good, except for the wrench "maintenance needed" icon on the instrument panel.. The chain was dry, indicating the dpo didn't do much but ride the bike. While doing my pre-purchase homework I went down to the Duc dealer, who told me it needed belts and a valve adjustment. Around $1200 if they didn't have to touch the valves, which was extra. He guesstimated around $1500 total. I looked into doing it myself, but the procedure on desmo heads isn't something you should read-and-do. I'm sure I could do it myself but I'd need to see it done before I tried it. So I let it go and bought the V. Glad I did: it's all the bike I need.

No looking back.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 05:56 PM

Had a look ant a few multi strada's last week at the ducati dealer in Waterloo.

If it was me, buh bye V.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 PM

Well....all I can say, It's one hell of an 'UGLY' bike OMG!!!!!!!!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode