2012 V: First Impressions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2012 V: First Impressions

A week ago today, I sold my 2007 ZX-14. I absolutely loved that bike, but I needed something that was easier to commute on, more comfortable on the highway, and cheaper to own/insure (3 month old daughter).

Enter the Versys.

I'd researched the V for years, trying to convince myself that it was the bike for me. In that research, there was a few common "annoyances" that websites and owners would bring up.

The day after I sold the ZX, I trusted my gut, and bought a 2012 with 1900 miles on the clock. It only took a few rides to really get the feel of this motorcycle.

My goal with this post is to discuss some of those issues and give an honest review of the bike for anybody thats considering the switch like I was.

1. "The motor is very buzzy" - Motorcycles in general are buzzy. If you don't want a buzz in the bars or pegs, don't ride one. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of buzz in the bars and at my feet. My ZX-14 was a very smooth bike, and I honestly didn't feel any additional buzzy-ness on the Versys. Sure, the mirrors are a bit fuzzy, but they are still functional. Additionally, I have yet to hear the buzz from the fairing that everyone talks about. For me, this is NOT an issue.

2. "The styling is funky" - I'll admit, the G2 Versys is a look that one has to acquire a taste for. I'll also admit that it took little to no time for me to acquire said taste. I really like the aggressive look. I teach woodshop and coach baseball, and I've already had students/players comment on how cool it looks. I like that I ride a bike that looks unique.

3. "The wind protection is lacking" - On my 3 hour ride back from the dealership where I bought the bike, I was expecting the small stock windshield to be an issue. I thought the stock unit was absolutely fine. I'm 6'2" and I didn't notice any buffering. I will most likely still get a Zero Gravity ST screen for when the temperature drops, but the windshield isn't an upgrade that I'll need immediately.

4. "The stock seat is crap" - Yes. Yes it is. I had a Corbin on my ZX-14 that I really liked, so I'll probably go that route when I can afford to. The stocker for me didn't necessarily push me up against the tank, but it locked me in such a weird spot. I kept wanting to scoot back on the seat, but I sit right against the cut-out for the pillion portion. I'm hoping the cutout on the Corbin (or another aftermarket seat) goes a bit further back.

5. "It won't have enough power" - Coming off of a ZX-14, I was more than ready to be underwhelmed by the power of the V. I wasn't. This thing has plenty of get up and go! I was never looking for more throttle. It's plenty powerful for what I'm doing with it.

Bottom line: I'm very impressed with this motorcycle. I'm glad that I didn't let some of the negative things that I read scare me away from a great bike! It won't be the perfect bike for everyone, but it sure is a great bike for me and my needs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c4297d8e-6707-4c65-8ae8-05d9d226de49.jpg (69.8 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix650 View Post
A week ago today, I sold my 2007 ZX-14. I absolutely loved that bike, but I needed something that was easier to commute on, more comfortable on the highway, and cheaper to own/insure (3 month old daughter).

Enter the Versys.

I'd researched the V for years, trying to convince myself that it was the bike for me. In that research, there was a few common "annoyances" that websites and owners would bring up.

The day after I sold the ZX, I trusted my gut, and bought a 2012 with 1900 miles on the clock. It only took a few rides to really get the feel of this motorcycle.

My goal with this post is to discuss some of those issues and give an honest review of the bike for anybody thats considering the switch like I was.

1. "The motor is very buzzy" - Motorcycles in general are buzzy. If you don't want a buzz in the bars or pegs, don't ride one. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of buzz in the bars and at my feet. My ZX-14 was a very smooth bike, and I honestly didn't feel any additional buzzy-ness on the Versys. Sure, the mirrors are a bit fuzzy, but they are still functional. Additionally, I have yet to hear the buzz from the fairing that everyone talks about. For me, this is NOT an issue.

2. "The styling is funky" - I'll admit, the G2 Versys is a look that one has to acquire a taste for. I'll also admit that it took little to no time for me to acquire said taste. I really like the aggressive look. I teach woodshop and coach baseball, and I've already had students/players comment on how cool it looks. I like that I ride a bike that looks unique.

3. "The wind protection is lacking" - On my 3 hour ride back from the dealership where I bought the bike, I was expecting the small stock windshield to be an issue. I thought the stock unit was absolutely fine. I'm 6'2" and I didn't notice any buffering. I will most likely still get a Zero Gravity ST screen for when the temperature drops, but the windshield isn't an upgrade that I'll need immediately.

4. "The stock seat is crap" - Yes. Yes it is. I had a Corbin on my ZX-14 that I really liked, so I'll probably go that route when I can afford to. The stocker for me didn't necessarily push me up against the tank, but it locked me in such a weird spot. I kept wanting to scoot back on the seat, but I sit right against the cut-out for the pillion portion. I'm hoping the cutout on the Corbin (or another aftermarket seat) goes a bit further back.

5. "It won't have enough power" - Coming off of a ZX-14, I was more than ready to be underwhelmed by the power of the V. I wasn't. This thing has plenty of get up and go! I was never looking for more throttle. It's plenty powerful for what I'm doing with it.

Bottom line: I'm very impressed with this motorcycle. I'm glad that I didn't let some of the negative things that I read scare me away from a great bike! It won't be the perfect bike for everyone, but it sure is a great bike for me and my needs.
So many people want different things from a bike so Congrats on finding a bike that works for you and makes you happy, That's all anyone can ask for!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:32 PM

Congrats on the new bike. I wish I could ride mine more than I do. I either travel out of town all week or work from home and have no time to ride. I love this bike so much that I am selling at least one of my BMWs.

I hope you enjoy many, many miles ...

David Gillespie
Dade City, FL
(No, it's nowhere near Miami)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 AM

Garage
Great review and, as a 13' owner, I agree line-for-line with what you wrote.

Congrats and Enjoy!

Binderline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode