Sat On A Versys 1000LT Today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Sat On A Versys 1000LT Today

Went to a dealership today to see if they still had that 2015 V-1000 i saw there the last time for right at 10 Grand. It was gone but they had a Real Puurrrrdy 2016 Greenie there. So the sales guy pulled it out so i could throw a leg over. Felt real good and the ease of the clutch pull suprised me. He asked me if i wanted to set-up a test ride. I looked confused and said i didn't think anyone did test ride except when they have designated demo days. He said yea but we can make it happen so set it up for 11am-12pm on next tuesday.
saddlebag and uparmorjoe like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Went to a dealership today to see if they still had that 2015 V-1000 i saw there the last time for right at 10 Grand. It was gone but they had a Real Puurrrrdy 2016 Greenie there. So the sales guy pulled it out so i could throw a leg over. Felt real good and the ease of the clutch pull suprised me. He asked me if i wanted to set-up a test ride. I looked confused and said i didn't think anyone did test ride except when they have designated demo days. He said yea but we can make it happen so set it up for 11am-12pm on next tuesday.
I don't want to scare you; but you had better leave your checkbook at home (or bring it with you if you are planning to buy). I stopped to look at one and there happened to be a customer in the parking lot who had one. He threw me the keys to his V1K and I gave him the keys to my GS. We came back in about 40 minutes and my wife knew I was adding to the stable. I love this bike!
weljo2001 likes this.

David Gillespie
Dade City, FL
(No, it's nowhere near Miami)
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:04 PM

I'd like to hear how that test ride goes.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I get the impression you're kinda tall. The windscreen on the V1k will probably buffet you at speed. It doesn't midget me, but it does my wife behind me. I bought a barn door windscreen from Calsci and now she rides in a cocoon too.
One thing I found way different than the FJR or any of my bikes really is that the V1k reacts very quickly to the lightest of touch. Took a while for me to drop old habits and acquire new ones. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have liked it on a test ride. Now, I find it hard to go back. I'll give you some examples.
1. On my FJR and previous bikes, engine braking required throttle blipping when downshifting from higher revs to prevent jerking or even rear wheel lockup. When I first got the V, I could never do the motions fast enough to make it smooth. Then I remembered, this bike has a slipper clutch. Drop the gear down anytime you like and its smooth as silk. Blipping actually creates jerking.
2. There is very little engine braking by comparison to my previous bikes. I'm one who rarely tended to use brakes. I'd always get my setup speed into corners using engine braking. The V just doesn't have it. Now I've learned to trail brake into corners on the rear brake and it works flawlessly. I'm even getting really good using it to tighten up switchbacks in certain intersections that were always tricky.
3. The lighter weight definitely transmits passenger movement into the bike more than heavier bikes. Not sure I ever knew my wife was on the back of the FJR. Her moving around is much more noticeable on this one. If you don't ride with a passenger, this is not a consideration.
One thing I would suggest to you, if you get the opportunity to corner with it is to put it in Low Power Mode (LPM). The throttle response in Full Power Mode is lurchy, which sucks when trying to ride technical stuff smoothly. I've got mine ironed out pretty well with a Power Commander and haven't used LPM since. Before I put the PCV on, I rarely put in FPM. Drove me crazy. Besides, I could ride the bike plenty fast even in LPM.
Enjoy, I look forward to your comments.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if I could go back to a chain after having a shaft.

Kawasaki had the perfect touring bike with the Voyager XII. 1200CC I-4 with Hydraulic Valves, shaft drive, adjustable seats, adjustable Handlebars, cruise control, overdrive, etc.

All that and it was designed in the early 80s. If they could make a modern version of that low maintenance bike, I would own one.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
That is a major PITA. Though if you've ever taken all the tupperware off an FJR, that almost makes up for 500 mile chain lubing for at least 100k miles.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Kawasaki had the perfect touring bike with the Voyager XII. 1200CC I-4 with Hydraulic Valves, shaft drive, adjustable seats, adjustable Handlebars, cruise control, overdrive, etc.

All that and it was designed in the early 80s. If they could make a modern version of that low maintenance bike, I would own one.

Shaft drive is one reason i've been looking at the Triumph Explorer 1200. But for the price the V is hard to beat and i want less plastic to deal with when working on the bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
That is a major PITA. Though if you've ever taken all the tupperware off an FJR, that almost makes up for 500 mile chain lubing for at least 100k miles.

At least the V 1000 has a center stand so lubing the chain will be a snap.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I get the impression you're kinda tall. The windscreen on the V1k will probably buffet you at speed. It doesn't midget me, but it does my wife behind me. I bought a barn door windscreen from Calsci and now she rides in a cocoon too.
One thing I found way different than the FJR or any of my bikes really is that the V1k reacts very quickly to the lightest of touch. Took a while for me to drop old habits and acquire new ones. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have liked it on a test ride. Now, I find it hard to go back. I'll give you some examples.
1. On my FJR and previous bikes, engine braking required throttle blipping when downshifting from higher revs to prevent jerking or even rear wheel lockup. When I first got the V, I could never do the motions fast enough to make it smooth. Then I remembered, this bike has a slipper clutch. Drop the gear down anytime you like and its smooth as silk. Blipping actually creates jerking.
2. There is very little engine braking by comparison to my previous bikes. I'm one who rarely tended to use brakes. I'd always get my setup speed into corners using engine braking. The V just doesn't have it. Now I've learned to trail brake into corners on the rear brake and it works flawlessly. I'm even getting really good using it to tighten up switchbacks in certain intersections that were always tricky.
3. The lighter weight definitely transmits passenger movement into the bike more than heavier bikes. Not sure I ever knew my wife was on the back of the FJR. Her moving around is much more noticeable on this one. If you don't ride with a passenger, this is not a consideration.
One thing I would suggest to you, if you get the opportunity to corner with it is to put it in Low Power Mode (LPM). The throttle response in Full Power Mode is lurchy, which sucks when trying to ride technical stuff smoothly. I've got mine ironed out pretty well with a Power Commander and haven't used LPM since. Before I put the PCV on, I rarely put in FPM. Drove me crazy. Besides, I could ride the bike plenty fast even in LPM.
Enjoy, I look forward to your comments.

Today was the first time in almost a year the G/F rode with me but she liked the V650 better than the FJR. I'm doing more local riding than i use to. Use to race motocross so throttle control comes pretty easy. It's about time for new tires so its get new tires or trade the bike in....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-04-2016 at 09:50 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:17 PM

I went to a dealer south of me last Thursday. They let me demo a 2016 1000LT...I came back and bought a Raw Titanium 2016 LT, 25 minutes later we loaded it up in my trailer...Have put 600 miles on it this weekend. Great bike.

with bags removed for a little downtown Portland ride...
uparmorjoe likes this.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
I went to a dealer south of me last Thursday. They let me demo a 2016 1000LT...I came back and bought a Raw Titanium 2016 LT, 25 minutes later we loaded it up in my trailer...Have put 600 miles on it this weekend. Great bike.

with bags removed for a little downtown Portland ride...

The dealership I'm going to has a green one but I'm not a fan of it and the G/F said hell no to the green but she does like the Titanium one which they have at their Costa Mesa dealership so if i do get one it will be the Titanium color. The G/F is going on the test ride with me so if she gives it the 2 thumbs up then i hope the guys ready. I've been in sales for years and use to sell Kirby's door to door in my younger days so I'm up on the closing game.
saddlebag likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
At least the V 1000 has a center stand so lubing the chain will be a snap.
For you. I took mine off since I lowered it. I have to use an old jack stand. It works fine, but is far more cumbersome than the excellent centerstand that comes on the V1k.
I generally hate centerstands. On my Ducs, they would grind and leverage the bike, so they had to come off. The FJR was better, but the lift lever was in my way when I scratch, as I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. The lever would always be right in the way of my heel. I had to saw it off and replace the pad with JB weld. It lasted many years before it finally broke off. It was much harder to get on the stand with the shorter lever.
The V1k centerstand doesn't seem to have any of these issues. If the damn bike wasn't built on stilts, I'd have kept this one unmolested.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
C'mon Joe, we're waiting!!!1.....Did the GF give you the thumbs up???

(dunno if you've ever noticed, but if you insert rie in between the G & the F it gives you grief!!!)
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
C'mon Joe, we're waiting!!!1.....Did the GF give you the thumbs up???

(dunno if you've ever noticed, but if you insert rie in between the G & the F it gives you grief!!!)

Just got home........Looks like i won't be buying tires for the FJR...

The bike was really comfortable for me and the GF really liked it. The brakes are much better on the FJR and the front end feels more solid on the FJR but you are leaning on the bars more. Young sales guy really nice kid. So he starts to close me. He lays out the price with all the charges and tax plus my trade. The trade in on the FJR was really close to KBB Pricing so i talk a bit to him and told him he'd have to do something about the price then i let him know my background in sales so he went up and talked to the sales manager so the salesman bowed out the sales manager and I worked out a good deal. So all the paper work is done they just have to bring the Titanium one from Costa Mesa so i pick it up at about 1pm tomorrow...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:

The bike was really comfortable for me and the GF really liked it. The brakes are much better on the FJR and the front end feels more solid on the FJR but you are leaning on the bars more. Young sales guy really nice kid. So he starts to close me. He lays out the price with all the charges and tax plus my trade. The trade in on the FJR was really close to KBB Pricing so i talk a bit to him and told him he'd have to do something about the price then i let him know my background in sales so he went up and talked to the sales manager so the salesman bowed out the sales manager and I worked out a good deal. So all the paper work is done they just have to bring the Titanium one from Costa Mesa so i pick it up at about 1pm tomorrow...

congrats and good luck with the new bike.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:

FJR had a lot more weight on the front end. I barely got 5k miles out of a front tire on that thing, about 6k miles out of the rears. On the V1k I get 10k+ on the front and 6k on the rear.
I have had the bars oscillate hard on me about 90 mph when I had to dodge some road debris on the freeway. Hasn't happened since or at higher speeds, but then again I haven't had to make an aggressive input at high speed since then either. I'd feel better if I could find a steering damper for it. As it stands, praying out loud will have to do...
weljo2001 likes this.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
congrats and good luck with the new bike.

Thanks....
turn8a and josucksbuena like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Today would have been my dads 92nd birthday. He loved pancakes so me and the girlfriend celebrated by having breakfast at my dads favorite spot. I know he would be happy about me getting a new bike on his birthday...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Today would have been my dads 92nd birthday. He loved pancakes so me and the girlfriend celebrated by having breakfast at my dads favorite spot. I know he would be happy about me getting a new bike on his birthday...
Congratulations on the new bike.... What a great way to celebrate your dad's birthday.
weljo2001 likes this.

David Gillespie
Dade City, FL
(No, it's nowhere near Miami)
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
FJR had a lot more weight on the front end. I barely got 5k miles out of a front tire on that thing, about 6k miles out of the rears. On the V1k I get 10k+ on the front and 6k on the rear.
I have had the bars oscillate hard on me about 90 mph when I had to dodge some road debris on the freeway. Hasn't happened since or at higher speeds, but then again I haven't had to make an aggressive input at high speed since then either. I'd feel better if I could find a steering damper for it. As it stands, praying out loud will have to do...
That barn door of a windshield probably didn't help at those speeds either.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode