Best grips for vibrations - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rayj
  • 2 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By ronheater70
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best grips for vibrations

Started using ESI extra chunky grips after reading about them on a street triple forum. They helped a ton with my street triple in making the vibes bearable.

Well purchased them for my 15 versys 650 and put them on yesterday. These on the 15 versys make vibes virtually non existent. Huge improvement.


CreatureCore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Excuse my ignorance, but how do these install/mount, attach and secure in place. Thanks, they are of interest to me.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cjcintucson is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but how do these install/mount, attach and secure in place. Thanks, they are of interest to me.
Assuming they are like my grip puppies, I simply dunked them in mild warm soapy water and forcefully slid on over top my stock grips.
Once dry, they are tight with zero movement. BTW I noticed and improvement with the grip puppies as well.
ronheater70 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Member
 
kohburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern, NC
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I might do something like this when I switch rom heated grips to heated gloves.
kohburn is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Assuming they are like my grip puppies, I simply dunked them in mild warm soapy water and forcefully slid on over top my stock grips.
Once dry, they are tight with zero movement. BTW I noticed and improvement with the grip puppies as well.
Sounds good. I thought maybe you had to remove the stock grips. I have baseball bat anti vibration tape on mine with OK results. I will probably try these in place of the tape. Thanks.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cjcintucson is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You need to remove stock grips. There is a chance you can get them on over but will be tough.
CreatureCore is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 PM
Member
 
MrSchaeferPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Good deal man! I was hoping soon kuryakyn will make their ISO grips with throttle boss. Loved those on my last bike.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
MrSchaeferPants is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I started using the Grip Buddies last year over the stock grips. These were originally known as Beemer Buddies, but fit over our grips fine. They cost about the same as the Grip Puppies, but are reusable. They attach with a small strip of industrial strength tape, and Velcro. I took them off when I put on the Oxford Heaterz grips this winter, and reinstalled them over the new grips. Word of caution when taking off your original grips, watch out for cutting the throttle sleeve that is under the right hand grip. And yes, you can still get good heat from the Heaterz through the Grip Buddies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grip Buddies data.JPG (22.8 KB, 58 views)
Smiley likes this.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
rayj is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
I started using the Grip Buddies last year over the stock grips. These were originally known as Beemer Buddies, but fit over our grips fine. They cost about the same as the Grip Puppies, but are reusable. They attach with a small strip of industrial strength tape, and Velcro. I took them off when I put on the Oxford Heaterz grips this winter, and reinstalled them over the new grips. Word of caution when taking off your original grips, watch out for cutting the throttle sleeve that is under the right hand grip. And yes, you can still get good heat from the Heaterz through the Grip Buddies.
I found the stock grips slide right off with rubbing alcohol, no reason to cut them unless you're sure you won't use them again.
CreatureCore is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well, it looks like the ESI grips are made for bicycles, which would explain why you have to remove your stock grips to mount them. The Grip Puppies are made for going over your stock grips. I think I will remove my baseball bat tape and try the Grip Puppies. Thanks again to both of you for the information.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cjcintucson is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
They are made for bicycles, but work so much better then grip puppies. Grip puppies are made of some foam like material, these are made from silicone. Its a huge difference IMO.
CreatureCore is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,885
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Yeah, never mind the band-aids and gimmicks, and the ridiculous and dangerous thick foam grips... Stock hand grips, tapered aluminum handlebars on aluminum adapters. Problem solved.
invader is online now  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 50 miles W of Deals Gap
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Many vibration fixes. Silicone caulk in the bars helps a good deal! Proper setup so there's no grip force seemed the most effective for me. Thanks for the bat tape concept!

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
toaster404 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Member
 
Smiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Elgin County SW Ontario
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yeah, never mind the band-aids and gimmicks, and the ridiculous and dangerous thick foam grips... Stock hand grips tapered aluminum handlebars on aluminum adapters. Problem solved.
Those stock grips are not compatible with all hand sizes. They caused my huge hands to cramp constantly. Grip Buddies increased the diameter to suit my hands and, no, they are in no way dangerous.

Ridiculous? How can a practical solution be ridiculous? I find top boxes to be very unpleasing aesthetically but 'ridiculous' is an opinion I would not apply.
binderline and ronheater70 like this.

Last edited by Smiley; 07-05-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Smiley is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Those stock grips are not compatible with all hand sizes. They caused my huge hands to cramp constantly. Grip Buddies increased the diameter to suit my hands and, no, they are in no way dangerous.

Ridiculous? How can a practical solution be ridiculous? I find top boxes to be very unpleasing aesthetically but 'ridiculous' is an opinion I would not apply.
This was my thoughts as well. the small diameter and grips would cramp my hands after a bit. The new grips helped a lot, and dampened the vibrations.. so a win, win for me anyway.
Smiley likes this.
ronheater70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome