Ticking sound . . . . - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ticking sound . . . .

Hey Guys,

I have this strange ticking sound that has started between 3 and 4 thousand RPM in 3rd and 4th gears. Has not affected performance and shifts fine. Any one else see this happen yet?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Ticking sound.

Just changed my chain and sprockets too.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just give a second look at the chain, might be out of alignment with the back sprocket or slag might not be right.

Anyway did you do this chain and sprocket work by yourself or was done by others.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 AM

Does it make the sound in neutral at the same rpm range or only when driving in 3rd or 4th ?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Ticking sound

Did the work myself. Chain did have a sway to it. Seems to get less as I tightened it a little. Seems to be a sound that would come from the muffler if you were to tap the chain against it. Probably will tighten it a bit more in the morning to see it I can eliminate it all together.

Cheers!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Double check the alignment as well, you're not one mark off? No?
The Alignment marks seem to be fairly accurate, but you can check now if you haven't before. Measure or String Method both work. Dead on?
Eyeball the rear sprocket as you spin the wheel- does it rotate in plane? About 1/8" out is normal I've heard, but that shouldn't make it slap the exhaust can.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Thought about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry View Post
Does it make the sound in neutral at the same rpm range or only when driving in 3rd or 4th ?
Nope, thought about that. Could be transmission when in motion. Or the shift mechanism.

Cheers!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Double check the alignment as well, you're not one mark off? No?
The Alignment marks seem to be fairly accurate, but you can check now if you haven't before. Measure or String Method both work. Dead on?
Eyeball the rear sprocket as you spin the wheel- does it rotate in plane? About 1/8" out is normal I've heard, but that shouldn't make it slap the exhaust can.
There is a section where you can see the chain swing from side to side on the rear sprocket. It stands out as it makes the return run next to the exhaust that there is a bit of a bend. Not much of one, but you can see it. Tightened the chain this morning a bit and did not hear it as much, but just every now and then. Chain was suggested by a Bike Bandit tech, Western Power Sports. It is smooth. I will say that much, but hay. I rode the last chain to 41K miles so it has to be an improvement. Right?

Cheers!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM

Scared me when I read this post heading. I just came of a Yamaha FJR1300, and they had quite a few where the valve guides wore out early. They would get a "Ticking" sound and that is how you could tell. But, I had 80K on mine and never had a glitch on that motor.
Probably chain or sprocket as mentioned.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Hey All. I just did a little checking and a noticed that my "sway" in the chain is what started making my clinking sound against my muffler and is working itself out.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode